Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #8433
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fireworks" Previous topic | Next topic
dhaider Registered since 23rd Jun 2006Mon 26-Jun-06 02:08 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fireworks"

Hello everyone,

This 4th of july i was thinking of bringing my D50 to the fireworks display. This would be my first time photographing fireworks. I was thinking of using the bulb mode on the camera. My main question is when I should open the shutter (when i see the rocket going up to explode or when the rocket actually explodes). Any other tips/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Danish

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Fireworks
Covey22 Moderator
26th Jun 2006
dhaider
26th Jun 2006
f2
27th Jun 2006
Reply message LED markers for the tripd
f2
02nd Jul 2006
kgendron12
27th Jun 2006
dhaider
27th Jun 2006
f2
27th Jun 2006
britkev
16th Jan 2008
f2
29th Jun 2006
kgendron12
29th Jun 2006
britkev
29th Jun 2006
          Reply message RE%3A Fireworks
britkev
16th Jan 2008
eab1005
29th Jun 2006
f2
29th Jun 2006
dgwhitham
30th Jun 2006
scottl
02nd Jul 2006
dgwhitham
02nd Jul 2006
f2
02nd Jul 2006
scottl
02nd Jul 2006
f2
03rd Jul 2006
scottl
03rd Jul 2006
kgendron12
03rd Jul 2006
scottl
03rd Jul 2006
dhaider
03rd Jul 2006
scottl
03rd Jul 2006
dgwhitham
04th Jul 2006
Reply message post mortum or lessons learned for next year
f2
05th Jul 2006
Reply message RE: post mortum or lessons learned for next year
scottl
05th Jul 2006
Reply message RE: post mortum or lessons learned for next year
mfa
07th Jul 2006
dgwhitham
05th Jul 2006
RLaub
16th Jan 2008
kgendron12
06th Jul 2006
scottl
12th Jul 2006
kgendron12
12th Jul 2006
scottl
12th Jul 2006
sebright Silver Member
18th Jul 2006

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 26-Jun-06 02:33 PM
10623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

US

See our Fireworks article in our Resources section. We have a lot of photography-related articles in this area...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

dhaider Registered since 23rd Jun 2006Mon 26-Jun-06 02:37 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for the quick reply.

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Tue 27-Jun-06 06:43 PM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

1 - Get the IR remote, and read up on the instructions in your manual.

1a - In the menu, extend the IR time out from 2 min to the max of 15 min. The IR receiver will turn OFF if it does not get an input within the timeout period.

1b - Know how to turn ON the IR receiver. On my D70, I have to turn it on each time I turn on the camera. When I power down the camera, the IR receiver turns OFF.

1c - Practice using the IR remote. The receiver window is on the front of the camera, so you have to reach over the camera or make a small reflector to tape to the camera so you can use the IR remote from behind the camera.

2 - Use a good (or at least decent) tripod. You have to have something steady for those multi-second exposures.

3 - Carry a flashlight with a red filter (or red celophane) over the lens. You need the flashlight to see what you are doing in the dark. Red will not destroy your night vision like white light will.

4 - Turn down the brightness of the LCD display, or put a big post-it over it. The bright display will also destroy your night vision.

5 - In advance of the 4th, go to where you would be shooting from, during the day and again at night, to check out the site for issues; trees, power poles, power lines, street lights, etc.

6 - Focus the camera, usually at infinity, then turn the autofocus to MANUAL, and don't touch the focus ring.

7 - As for exposure the resourse link is correct, stop the lens down to get a black/dark background.

7a - Glance at the LCD to see if you are getting the images you want. Expose longer or shorter to get different effects.

7b - The good thing about digital is you can see what you are getting and can make adjustments immediately.

8 - Bring a few friends along to stake out space around you to protect your camera angle. I've been in place for a couple of hours waiting and had latecomers walk up and stand right in front of me. grrrrr

8a - This is also why you make a dry run, to find a good location.

8b - Then get their EARLY, to "claim" the good location. And set up the tripod, so the space is taken.

gud luk
Gary

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Sun 02-Jul-06 01:27 AM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "LED markers for the tripd"
In response to Reply # 3

San Francisco, US

Besides these things, you might go to a bicycle shop and get a RED flashing LED. Strap it to the tripod legs, so people will see where the tripod legs are, otherwise they may trip on the legs. I got this tip when I visited an astronomy observation night. Many of the telescopes had that red LED on the legs, although they did not have it blinking.

Gary

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Tue 27-Jun-06 08:49 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

Burlington, US

This is a huge topic of discussion on the Disney Photography board that I frequent.

I recently came back and photographed the Wishes fireworks display at the Magic Kingdom twice and also Illuminations at Epcot. Of the 88 pictures I got there were really only about 10 that I liked.

Here are my recommendations.
1 - Tripod. If you really want to get those full bursts with great color there is no other way

2 - Remote Shutter Release. Works like a charm. Worth the $20.

3 - Set ISO to 200. Since the background is black a high ISO will yield higher noice.

4 - Settings: Aperture: Between f/8 and f/16, I mostly used f/8 and f/10; Shutter Speed: Anywhere from 3 seconds to 10 seconds (thus the need for a tripod).

5 - Keep shooting and don't stop shooting till its over. If you sit and wait for the perfect shot, it wont come.

The majority of my shots were about 5 seconds long in shutter priority. What I did was wait till I heard the sound of the fireworks being shot (you know the pffffffft sound). Then click the shutter. I've read some people use BULB with the remote shutter. Thats not a bad idea. But you have to pay attention to how long you leave it open. Also one thing I found was that its much much harder to photograph the big finalle. There are so many going off and it gets so bright and then all the smoke thrown in makes for a very overexposed picture.

I don't have many uploaded yet, but here are my 2 best ones. Both used the Nikor 18-70mm lens
This one is Illuminations at Epcot:
24mm focal length; 5 seconds at f/8, auto white balance
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Favorite%20Disney%20Pics/Epcot/DSC_0859.jpg

This one is at The Magic Kingdom:
34mm focal length; 4 seconds at f/10, auto white balance
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Favorite%20Disney%20Pics/Magic%20Kingdom/DSC_1679.jpg

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dhaider Registered since 23rd Jun 2006Tue 27-Jun-06 09:12 PM
#5. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks alot guys, hopefully i will get some good shots

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Tue 27-Jun-06 09:14 PM
#6. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 4

San Francisco, US

The thing that ALWAYS gets me is that I underestimate how BIG and high the fireworks display is. Don't zoom in tight or the big ones will get cut off. The problem is, you can't see the viewfinder when the shutter is open, so you won't know that you just lost part of the fireworks. Stay loose and crop in the computer later.

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Wed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: Fireworks"

Philadelphia, US

I'd be the first to admit that neither of these constitute fantastic fireworks photographs, but to put them in context, this was my first real day out with my week old D50 at Disneyworld, where lugging around a tripod for the whole day was out of the question...

handheld with the 50mm lens at f/1.8, 1/30th second

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Thu 29-Jun-06 07:37 PM
#9. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

You do what you can given the limitations of what you have, then make the best of it. And you did good. Better than I did when I first tried with a digital point-n-shoot, and last years disaster with my D70 and the failed IR remote experiment.

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Thu 29-Jun-06 07:50 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

Burlington, US

>I'd be the first to admit that neither of these constitute
>fantastic fireworks photographs, but to put them in context,
>this was my first real day out with my week old D50 at
>Disneyworld, where lugging around a tripod for the whole day
>was out of the question...
>
>handheld with the 50mm lens at f/1.8, 1/30th second

Nice shot. For future reference if your interested in doing it again in Mickey land... You can rent a locker for the day and it will hold a full size tripod. Or what I did is use a travel tripod that folds to 13 1/2 inches and set it up on one of the trash cans along Main St after Casey's. Worked like a charm for me and it fit in my backback.

Plus its always good to have a few different sized tripods for different occassions.

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Thu 29-Jun-06 08:17 PM
305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 10

Philadelphia, US

>
>Nice shot. For future reference if your interested in doing
>it again in Mickey land... You can rent a locker for the day
>and it will hold a full size tripod. Or what I did is use a
>travel tripod that folds to 13 1/2 inches and set it up on
>one of the trash cans along Main St after Casey's. Worked
>like a charm for me and it fit in my backback.
>
>Plus its always good to have a few different sized tripods
>for different occassions.

Thanks - good advice, worth knowing for future visits, but to be honest this was just a one-day trip with my three-year old daughter, and I didn't want to let photography get in the way of fun.

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Wed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
"RE%3A Fireworks"

Philadelphia, US

And another

eab1005 Registered since 08th Jan 2006Thu 29-Jun-06 12:30 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

Minneapolis, US

I've seen many references to "focus at infinity". How would you do this on the kit lense, or is it even possible? If not, what is the best way to focus for fireworks with the 18-55?

Thanks,

Elise

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Thu 29-Jun-06 07:31 PM
#8. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 7

San Francisco, US

There is usually "something" bright that you can put the auto focus on. A street light, a building, heck the moon, etc. If not put the camera into manual focus and manually focus on any light WAY OUT THERE. When the light is sharp...you're in focus.

For things like this, the old manual lenses were real easy...just turn the lens to infinity and you were done. Many of the AF lenses can be turned beyond the infinity mark on the focus ring, so that is not an option on those lenses.

Gary

dgwhitham Registered since 17th Mar 2006Fri 30-Jun-06 05:29 AM
184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 8

US

All of the techniques listed here are spot on, but I would like to add one more. Try to add something in the foreground to help with a sense of scale.

Here is one that I shot in 1996 with an N90s and Nikkor 24mm lens:

(click to view larger image)

Dave - Milford, CT
My Gallery

My Flickr Gallery

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Sun 02-Jul-06 05:00 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

Ashburn, US

I just started taking pictures with a DSL camera in the last few months and have become hooked to the D50. I am becoming a serious hobbyist but many of the functions, options and techniques with the camera are new to me. I took my first firework pictures last night at a pre-4th of July party. I was using Manual mode with shutter 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/8, 1/10 (I was changing them to try and figure out a good setting) and F5.6 I realized after that I had the ISO at 1600, which I guess explains the graininess. Can someone tell me which Mode I should use? Should I use aperture priority at F/8 to F/11 (I think I read this was a good setting) and let the shutter be set automatically?

Another newbie question, when people say "open the shutter and release the shutter", can you do this manually by holding down the release button and then letting go, or do you set the shutter at 5 seconds or so?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I'm trying to get prepared for the 4th's fireworks.

Scott

Regards,
Scott

http://www.scottlubow.com
A Washington D.C. Area Nikonian

dgwhitham Registered since 17th Mar 2006Sun 02-Jul-06 06:00 PM
184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Scott - Set the ISO to 200 and use manual mode. Try F/11 to F/16 and 3-5 seconds as your starting points.

Dave - Milford, CT
My Gallery

My Flickr Gallery

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Sun 02-Jul-06 09:17 PM
#16. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 14

San Francisco, US

Scott
I presume you have a tripod, if not get a decent one, because you need one to do a multi-second exposure. Does not have to be a $800 Gitzo + Markins ball-head, but something that is steady. Keep the center column down, and stay out of the wind, cuz the wind will make the lighter tripods shake.

Go the the camera store and buy a Nikon IR remote for your D50. This will allow you to trip the shutter w/o touching the camera. And NO you can't trip the shutter with your hands w/o moving the camera...I tried. You press the button on the remote once to open the shutter and a 2nd time to close the shutter.

READ the manual for the camera and remote. You need to extend the "timeout" for the remote in the camera menu from the default 2 min to the max 15 min. The IR receiver will turn OFF if it does not get a signal within the timeout period. Also you need to know how to turn ON the IR receiver, it is turned OFF whenever the camera is turned off.

Then practice with both so you know what you are doing.

gud luk
Gary

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Sun 02-Jul-06 09:25 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 16

Ashburn, US

Thanks you Dave and Gary.

In order to use the remote to open and close the shutter manually, does the shutter speed need to be on "bulb", which I gather you set by changing the shutter speed past 30 seconds? If I have it set to 5 seconds, do you just push the remote once?

I do have a tripod, it's a cheap one I got with my video camera a few years ago but should be ok.

Thanks
Scott

Regards,
Scott

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Mon 03-Jul-06 04:15 AM
#18. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 17

San Francisco, US

Yup, set mode to Manual and shutter speed to BULB.
At any other speed just press once and the camera takes care of when to close the shutter.

Don't raise the center column on those cheap tripods. Think of it like a monopod on top of a tripod...not too stable. The lower the tripod the steadier, extend the legs from the larger more sturdy top section first.

Here is a VERY old trick. Put a weight, like your camera bag hanging from the tripod. The additional weight will give it more stability. You don't want the bag swaying in the wind, or that swaying bag will create its own movement. You want the bag "just touching" the ground, so it won't sway, yet have downward pull on the tripod.

Someone else suggested a bungee cord between the bag on the ground and the tripod head, or a rope with a movable knot (like used for adjusting a tents guy rope, a taught line hitch in boy scouts).
http://www.insanescouter.com/t276/files/Knots/basic.htm

gud luk
Gary

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Mon 03-Jul-06 10:38 AM
#19. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 18

Ashburn, US

Thanks Gary,
Hopefully, I'm good to go. Have a good Holiday.
Thanks
Scott

Regards,
Scott

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Mon 03-Jul-06 01:15 PM
#21. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 17

Burlington, US

You do not need to have shutter set to bulb to use the remote shutter. If its set to anything but bulb, just press the remote once and when the time has passed the shutter will close. On bulb you have to open and close the shutter by pressing twice, once to open and once to close.

I took some pics the other day of a local fireworks show. I found the best setting was 10 seconds at f/8. The actual shutter speed is going to be different depending on your location; ie how close you are. We were somewhat far away and the few I took at 4 and 5 seconds just didn't capture the big bursts I wanted. At 10 seconds it did a good job. Some people will use bulb setting, but you have to pay attention very closely and do a lot of counting. I use M and set shutter to 10 seconds and aperture to f/8 then I just keep pressing the shutter. If you wait for the good shot it wont happen.

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Mon 03-Jul-06 04:11 PM
#22. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 21

Ashburn, US

Great information. Thanks again to everyone. I'm looking forward to tomorrow night.

Regards,
Scott

dhaider Registered since 23rd Jun 2006Mon 03-Jul-06 12:54 PM
#20. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks alot everyone, these tips have really helped me out. Hopefully I will get some decent pictures.

Thanks,
Danish

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Mon 03-Jul-06 04:36 PM
#23. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 20

Ashburn, US

One more question. I read somewhere that you shouldn't use a UV filter when taking firework pictures. Does it matter? Should it just be a clear one or any other kind?
Thanks

Regards,
Scott

dgwhitham Registered since 17th Mar 2006Tue 04-Jul-06 01:23 PM
#24. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I went to Shea Stadium last night, and shot the fireworks going off over the stadium:

(click image to go to gallery)

All shots are with the D50 and 18-35 Nikkor, f/13 @ 5 seconds.

Dave - Milford, CT
My Gallery

My Flickr Gallery

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Wed 05-Jul-06 05:03 AM
#25. "post mortum or lessons learned for next year"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

Just got back from my fireworks shoot.

- The long exposure option on the menu killed me. The camera took so long to do its processing that I lost many shots waiting until it was ready to shoot again. Next time I'll just have to live with the long exposure noise. JPG or RAW made no difference, to me. What did they say about not doing something new for the 1st time w/o practicing.

- Aperture for me should be f22+ (ISO-200). f16 did not get the background dark enough when I held for multiple displays for several seconds (up to 10+ seconds).

- As I told others, don't crowd the shot. There were a few shots that were MUCH higher than I expected and they got cut off.

- There is an LED safety light that I picked up from the local electroncis store and tied it to my tripod legs. I had one set to blink, and it definitely caught peoples attention, and they stayed away from the front of the camera.

- The "finale" was the not good, too many fireworks explosions in the same relative position just burnt the image there to a white blob. Maybe f45 might have worked??? Or at least a shorter exposure, but you know how fast the finale is.

BTW I was shooting from a hill probably 2-3 miles away, used a 75-300 at 150mm.

Gary

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Wed 05-Jul-06 11:02 AM
#26. "RE: post mortum or lessons learned for next year"
In response to Reply # 25

Ashburn, US

Most of mine turned out pretty good. I mainly used F11 or F8 at 2, 3, 4 or 5 seconds. My only regret is that I used the 70-300 at 70mm and most of the fireworks are partly cut off. I got the small ones in frame but the large ones were too big. We were about 1/2 mile away. I guess I should have used the smaller lense.
Scott

Regards,
Scott

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Fri 07-Jul-06 12:58 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: post mortum or lessons learned for next year"
In response to Reply # 25

Pelennor Fields, US

I was a quarter-mile away from ours, so I used the 18-55mm kit lens on 18mm. I took about 75 shots on "bulb" using the wireless remote. I am generally happy with them except for...

- Should have stuck with f9.3 or smaller aperature. That's what I started with, but at some point thought the exposures weren't bright enough and increased the aperature.

- The 18-55mm kit lens lost its focus over time. Like Buzz Lightyear, this lens can go "to infinity and beyond", so I carefully autofocused before nightfall and then switched to manual. I was very careful not to touch the lens after that, but I can see from fixed items such as a distant sign, that the focus creeped some over the span of shots. When you put this lens on manual, the moving elements are quite loose, so I suspect the movement was from the 75+ jolts of the mirror going up and down.

- I was going nuts waiting on the long processing times with the anti-noise long-exposure option on, so I turned that off after the first few shots. My ISO was set at 200, so I don't think that option did much either way.

dgwhitham Registered since 17th Mar 2006Wed 05-Jul-06 01:23 PM
#27. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I went to NJ last night to try to catch the fireworks going off over NYC. They weren't shot off as high as I had hoped, but I got some decent shots...

(click to view gallery)

All shots are with the D50 and Nikkor 28-105, 5 seconds @ f/13

Dave - Milford, CT
My Gallery

My Flickr Gallery

RLaub Registered since 07th Apr 2006Wed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 27

Apple Valley, US

This was my first time trying fireworks. thanks to all the good information given above I think they (some) came out OK. It was just luck that I bought a remote on the 3rd. made things go a whole lot easier.

shot is with D50 Nikkor 18-55 kits @ 55mm,
Blub 5 second count @ f9
tripod
remote
sharpened

Thanks to all for your the great advise.

Rik

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Thu 06-Jul-06 09:28 PM
#28. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 34

Burlington, US

Finally got mine downloaded. Didn't have the best of locations, but I was with my 4 year old and my Uncle and his family which consists of a 4 year old and a 2 year old. We also got there a little late. I knew where the best spots would be, but with the kids I couldn't afford to be fussy. I think I can get some better shots, but they did come out pretty good. We ended up getting stuck between a few trees as you can see from a few of the shots.

All with the D50 & Nikkor 18-70mm lens at either 18mm or 27mm. ISO 200, 10 second shutter at f/8: (man I love that remote shutter!!)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Misc/DSC_2230.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Misc/DSC_2242.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Misc/DSC_2248.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Misc/DSC_2249.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/handicap18/Misc/DSC_2251.jpg

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Wed 12-Jul-06 11:57 AM
#30. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 0

Ashburn, US

This was my first attempt at fireworks. Here are two of my best pictures from the 4th. What do you all think? Both pictures are 70mm, ISO 200, 4 sec, f/8

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/Scottjl/Fireworks.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/Scottjl/DSC_0067.jpg

Thanks
Scott

Regards,
Scott

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Wed 12-Jul-06 11:07 PM
#31. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 30

Burlington, US

Nice. Though it looks like 70mm got you to close. You'll probably be better served with something wider. Other than that, excellent job.

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Wed 12-Jul-06 11:10 PM
#32. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 31

Ashburn, US

Thank you. I thought about that also. I have several pictures where the fireworks are partyly cut off. I wish I had switched back to the 28-80 lens. Live and learn. I'll be ready for next year.

Regards,
Scott

sebright Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 18-Jul-06 01:54 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Fireworks"
In response to Reply # 32

Worthington, US

Here is an idea for you (a bit after the fact) I use a sturdy tripod and set the aperature at f32 and the longest shutter speed (15 or 30 seconds if I remember right). I take along a black piece of cardboard to cover the lense (holding it in front of the camera and be careful not to touch the camera once the shutter is open.

You can use the cardboard as your shutter between bursts. This way you can control the light to the camera.

I also recommend finding a good foreground object to add interrest.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #8433 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.