Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #836
View in linear mode

Subject: "Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas" Previous topic | Next topic
waygrumpy Registered since 03rd Dec 2005Sat 03-Dec-05 05:31 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas"

Greetings all. Let me start with the fact that my experience with a camera is based mostly on aim and shoot. My wife has a fairly nice SLR and would like to get a Digital SLR. From what I can tell the D50 is a pretty good starting point.

That being said I have looked all over the net to find what and were to buy this for my wife for Christmas.

My issue is 2 fold. I want to get her pretty much what she would need to at lease determine if she likes the digital. I also would like to stay at a bout 1000 dollars us after any rebates etc. After digging around a bit I think I found what I am looking for but would like to get some input from people who know a bit more then me.

After doing some reading I found the website http://www.buydig.com and I think they have pretty good prices. They also have a package that consists of

Nikon D50 Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm and 55-200mm AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lenses
Digital Concepts 52mm Multicoated UV Protective Filter (you must have this basic clear filter!)
Dane 1 GB SECURE DIGITAL {SD} MEMORY ( A Necessity)
GGI SD USB2.0 Hi-Speed Card Reader
Sakar 1300mAh EN-EL3 Lithium Battery for Nikon D50 / D70 / D100 (BP100CL )
Digpro ALL-PURPOSE DELUXE GADGET BAG - DP6000
Sakar 3pc. Lens Cleaning Kit
Epson Picturemate Express Personal Photo Lab
GGI USB 2.0 HI-Speed USB to Printer Cable (480Mbps) 10 Ft.
Epson Nikon/Epson Camera + Printer $150 mail-in Rebate DOWNLOAD AND SAVE!
Masterworks DVD JumpStart Guide to the Nikon D50

That is a cut and paste of buydig's web site.

I am curious if the price of about $1,152.99 with a $150 mail in is a good one as well as if this would be the correct stuff to buy.

I have to admit that I have no idea what I am doing other then what I have read on a handful of magazines and web sites. Feel free to tell me if I am all wrong and if my budget is too small or if this would be a nice Xmas gift for my lovely wife.

Thanks in advance for you input.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas
Guitarmaniac
05th Dec 2005
bhola
05th Dec 2005
soupdragon
05th Dec 2005
debarshiduttagupta
05th Dec 2005
waygrumpy
05th Dec 2005
DanD50
06th Dec 2005
Carmay Silver Member
06th Dec 2005
Reply message You will be glad you did
spilot77
06th Dec 2005
     Reply message RE: You will be glad you did
angus_canuck
07th Dec 2005
          Reply message RE: You will be glad you did
Drewhound
08th Dec 2005
swyost Silver Member
14th Dec 2005
draak ijveraar
16th Dec 2005

Guitarmaniac Registered since 02nd Dec 2005Mon 05-Dec-05 02:24 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I can't say enough about my D50, I love it!
I use my D50 alot in low light situations taking pictures of bands, and have captured some really nice shots for a newbie.

http://www.mamarosasdelivers.com/jeff2.JPG
http://www.mamarosasdelivers.com/Ed1.JPG

I use it durring the day too
http://www.mamarosasdelivers.com/Snow_bush_small.JPG

If she has used a SLR she should really enjoy DSLR....instant results!!

Reading your post again I noticed they are offering all of those add ons as well. assuming that the price includes all of the items listed before rebates. The D50 should come with a Nikon battery in the first place, I hope they are offering the Sakar as an additional battery. A 1 GB card will give you about 340 pictures at Large/Fine resolution.
You wont need a 10ft usb cable, and the card reader is optional, the camera uploads the pictures pretty fast on it's own.
The Epson picturemate is a 4x6 photo printer worth about $150.00 depending on the model $200.00 at best.

What I can tell you is that you can get a nice small battery operated air blower from Officemax for about $10.00, I have one and found it works great for removing dust from the CCD sensor and blowing off the lenses. (made by Innodesk)

I hope this helps.....

Paul

bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 05-Dec-05 02:49 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas"
In response to Reply # 1

Chandler, US

This camera is great for newbie.

This is good price however I would just get camera with kit and buy things from outside- If you are one of those just like to get everything in one shot, it is good deal. If you buy this kit make sure you get tripod ( very useful if you like to take shots in low light and you may also want to pick up remote (<$20).- B

soupdragon Basic MemberMon 05-Dec-05 04:22 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas"
In response to Reply # 2

It's a pretty good camera for an "oldie" too.
I am getting great results out of mine and have not looked back since trading in my 350D.

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Mon 05-Dec-05 06:31 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas"
In response to Reply # 0

Kolkata, IN

I have the D50 Kit, and A F80 as my Film Body and recently sold my F75. When I bought the D50, I bought only the Kit and a monopod. And after that I have slowly started buying the accessories separately (as and when I can save enough). Buying a steady tripod is a must. I just bought a Manfrotto 190DB Tripod with a 484RC2 Ball head. Id say you go for the tripod if you do landscapes and macro a lot.

Keep Clicking.

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

waygrumpy Registered since 03rd Dec 2005Mon 05-Dec-05 06:26 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks to all for the well thought out advice. I am going to place the order then.

By the way for those that suggested the Tripod she has several really good ones. That is why it was not on the list.

Unless someone has a reason that I goofed on the package I will order it tommorow.

Again thanks for all the help.
Grumpy

DanD50 Registered since 22nd Nov 2005Tue 06-Dec-05 02:27 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas"
In response to Reply # 5

FYI - I just purchased the basic D50 Kit with lens for like $659 from buydig. They did a good job and I would purchase from them again.

Carmay Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 06-Dec-05 08:59 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas"
In response to Reply # 6

Bellingham, US

I just odered the D50 (body only) from Cords Camera. For $649 I got the body and all that comes with it. I also got: Nikon SLR Gadget Bag, Nikon Guide to SLR Photography (77 pages), Nikon 2 year extended warranty, SanDisk 1GB Ultra SD Memory Card, Delkin Reader27 12n1 USB, Additional Replacement PEN-EL3 Battery, Digi Mini Tripod, Promaster Media Card Case, and a Deluxe Photo Care Kit.

I especially liked the 2 year warranty and 1 GB card.

Carole

My Nikonians Gallery

spilot77 Registered since 06th Dec 2005Tue 06-Dec-05 09:31 PM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "You will be glad you did"
In response to Reply # 5

Gadsden, US

FWIW, the included battery holds up real well. I've shot well over 100 photos (some flash/some not) at an outing and the battery indicator never moved off of full strength.

angus_canuck Registered since 15th Jan 2005Wed 07-Dec-05 02:36 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: You will be glad you did"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I also bought the D50 for my wife. I can't stand the lack of choices point and shoots offer, and thought this was a good starting point. She is essentially a newbie, but with time she may want to borrow some of my 20 or so lenses and a few flashes, umbrellas and maybe will become a little obsessed with photography --- or at least understand my addiction of photography.

I think that B&H is the best way to go, as there are too many poor camera shops out there who practice anything but sincerity. If you can find a good local shop, good for you, I haven't had that experience since I moved fro the Boston, MA area.

Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Thu 08-Dec-05 12:09 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: You will be glad you did"
In response to Reply # 9

Spilot, the battery easily lasts for over 1,000 shots including many with flash, the main problem I have is remembering to charge it up every so often because I tend to forget about it lol.

swyost Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Wed 14-Dec-05 04:07 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just a quick FYI. Evidently Dell Computers now sells the D50/Nikkor kits (one or two lenses). The kit with both the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses is $999. They also sell quite a few Sigma lenses for Nikon f-mounts. They have long sold all the other major DSLR camera brands so this is a positive development. If you live somewhere other than Texas, that price is also usually tax and (3-5 day) shipping free. Just thought I'd pass along the information....

Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

draak ijveraar Registered since 14th Dec 2005Fri 16-Dec-05 04:52 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Buying my wife a D50 as a gift for christmas"
In response to Reply # 11

Birmingham, US

i just got the d50 with the 18-55 & 55-200 lenses for $811 from digitalfotoclub.com. they refused to let the order go through at first because we put the wrong work number down that was listed with the credit card. its the first time i had a company refuse payment over verification issues and while it added three days to the delivery i just became a loyal customer. i plan on getting my speedlight from there as well as any additional purchases of any significance.

caelum qui tueri

"Take that from a son of Molly Maguire!"

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #836 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.