Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #8233
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which Eye do you use?" Previous topic | Next topic
tigagreen Registered since 03rd Jun 2006Tue 20-Jun-06 12:15 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which Eye do you use?"

Canton, US

Just about to get purchase a D50, currently a F4s user. I predominately shoot with my left eye and am curious if anyone has an issue with your nose interfering with navigation buttons. I always felt I should use my right eye, but I just can't break the habit.
Should I be concerned?

Thanks. Bob M.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which Eye do you use?
Cruiser2091
20th Jun 2006
Tiberius
20th Jun 2006
Reply message Your right Tiberius
Cruiser2091
20th Jun 2006
     Reply message RE: Your right Tiberius
MasterDabber Silver Member
20th Jun 2006
     Reply message MasterDabber
Cruiser2091
20th Jun 2006
     Reply message RE: Your right Tiberius
phillyguy
20th Jun 2006
          Reply message Phillyguy
Cruiser2091
20th Jun 2006
               Reply message RE: Phillyguy
f2
21st Jun 2006
Planefreek22
23rd Jun 2006
phillyguy
23rd Jun 2006
feadin
20th Jun 2006
etherknot
20th Jun 2006
f2
21st Jun 2006
hkeynes
21st Jun 2006
Reply message Not my post, but thanks everyone
Cruiser2091
21st Jun 2006
     Reply message RE: Not my post, but thanks everyone
tigagreen
22nd Jun 2006
          Reply message RE: Not my post, but thanks everyone
aerobat
22nd Jun 2006
NaturesPixel
22nd Jun 2006
pizzajoe62
23rd Jun 2006
merlej
24th Jun 2006
Joves
25th Jun 2006
britkev
28th Jun 2006
antifuse
29th Jun 2006

Cruiser2091 Registered since 05th Jan 2006Tue 20-Jun-06 02:46 AM
417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Left eye works fine for me
I guess we both must be normal
Greg

Greg

Tiberius Registered since 24th Aug 2007Tue 20-Jun-06 04:35 AM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lansing, US

I shoot exclusively with my right, but a quick test of putting my left eye up to the viewfinder of my yielded no problems D50 other than the fact that having only my left eye open is near-impossible for me (some sort of eye dominance).

-Brian Beck

Cruiser2091 Registered since 05th Jan 2006Tue 20-Jun-06 06:36 AM
417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Your right Tiberius"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

An easy test to determine your dominant eye is to make a circle of your thumb and forefinger, hold it about 15 " from your eye and look through it to a small object. Close one eye then the other, the eye that sees the object in the centre of your circle is your dominant eye.
Regards Greg
Greg

Greg

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Tue 20-Jun-06 06:53 AM
3251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your right Tiberius"
In response to Reply # 3

Camberley, GB

>An easy test to determine your dominant eye is to make a
>circle of your thumb and forefinger, hold it about 15 " from
>your eye and look through it to a small object. Close one
>eye then the other, the eye that sees the object in the
>centre of your circle is your dominant eye.
>Regards Greg
>Greg

Now I never knew that... Yup, that works for me... left eye it is.... but right handed, right footed.

Derek
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Cruiser2091 Registered since 05th Jan 2006Tue 20-Jun-06 07:07 AM
#5. "MasterDabber"
In response to Reply # 4

AU

Learnt from my days of shooting with a pistol and not a camera
Greg

Greg

phillyguy Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Tue 20-Jun-06 06:53 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Your right Tiberius"
In response to Reply # 3

Philadelphia, US

I also heard the one where you hold your finger out in-line with a vertical line (e.g. the side of a door frame) and close each eye (one at a time) and the eye that keeps the finger in-line is dominant. Thing is, I get a different result between your test and this one. With the finger one, my right eye is dominant and with your circle one my left eye is dominant.

Not that it matters too much, most of the time I actually shoot with both eyes open. I shoot a lot of moving objects and it helps me to keep an eye on the whole scene and not just what is in the viewfinder. I'm able to then better anticipate where to go with the next shot.

Jason
Philadelphia Nikonian

Cruiser2091 Registered since 05th Jan 2006Tue 20-Jun-06 09:40 PM
#9. "Phillyguy"
In response to Reply # 8

AU

Once again if shooting with a pistol(target shooting) can be used as a comparison we are taught to keep both eyes open. To avoid distractions though a translucent disc is worn on special eyeglass frames, this allows light to still enter both eyes aiding depth of vision.
I mention this because I think that it may also be relevant to photography (not the disc but keeping both eyes open)
Anyway my little piece of trivia
Greg

Greg

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Wed 21-Jun-06 05:56 PM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Phillyguy"
In response to Reply # 9

San Francisco, US

Greg
The reason I was taught to shoot (cameras) with both eyes open is to maintain situational awareness. I learned this when I was shooting highschool newspaper/yearbook.

On the football field, if you are not watching around you, you could be hit by a football player in full gear. They frequently are running into the sidelines, going after the ball carrier. If you are in the way...too bad. That could put you in the hosptial. They have padding, you don't. I did see one photog hit, and it wasn't fun.

I also used the 2 eye technique at my nieces wedding. In the vertical position, I had my camera left side down/right side up. This allowed me to watch the processional with my unobstructed left eye while my right watched the narrower angle in the viewfinder.

BTW the other reason to shooting pistol/rifle with both eyes open is to aid your balance. For some reason, your balance is harder to maintain if you close one eye.

Gary

Planefreek22 Registered since 27th Jan 2006Fri 23-Jun-06 03:23 AM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#17. "RE: Phillyguy"
In response to Reply # 11

Del Mar, US

>On the football field, if you are not watching around you,
>you could be hit by a football player in full gear. They
>frequently are running into the sidelines, going after the
>ball carrier. If you are in the way...too bad. That could
>put you in the hosptial. They have padding, you don't. I
>did see one photog hit, and it wasn't fun.

this was posted a while back on the turning pro forum, http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/12/06/gallery.leadingoff/web012.jpg

oh and by the way. I shoot both eyes open but my left is up to the finder. And yes, my large Jewish nose gets in the way. It sometimes goes as far as to change the AF point.

-Matt
http://www.driftingphotographer.com

phillyguy Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Fri 23-Jun-06 01:13 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Phillyguy"
In response to Reply # 17

Philadelphia, US

LOL - very nice.

Jason
Philadelphia Nikonian

feadin Registered since 16th Mar 2006Tue 20-Jun-06 11:14 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 0

Buenos Aires, AR

I also shoot with my left eye, since I have poor vision with my right one. The only command I find uncomfortable to use is the AE-L/AF-L button, since it's too close to the viewfinder for left eye shooters. Anyway it can be used, it just doesn't feel very ergonomic

Cristian Feldman
http://www.vayu.com.ar

etherknot Registered since 14th Nov 2005Tue 20-Jun-06 03:16 PM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 6

Edmonton, CA

I've got you beat! I'm blind in my right eye so... Left eye shooting for me.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Wed 21-Jun-06 05:44 PM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

Just use your dominant eye, whichever it is.

In shooting, the shooter ether changed their stance to use their dominant eye or had to retrain themselves to use their non-dominant eye. The dominant eye is important enough that some shooters even changed from righthand to lefthand to accomodate their dominant eye. Switching eye is doable but takes a long time and is not easy. Just like learning to write with the other hand.

BTW if you shoot right eye, your nose will be putting face oil on the LCD screen, so the nose will get in the way in some way no mater what eye you use.

hkeynes Registered since 06th Apr 2006Wed 21-Jun-06 08:06 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 0

Guildford, GB

left eye all the way for me

my Nikonians gallery
http://nonamesleft.jalbum.net/

Cruiser2091 Registered since 05th Jan 2006Wed 21-Jun-06 08:32 PM
#13. "Not my post, but thanks everyone"
In response to Reply # 12

AU

for replying to my comments
Greg

Greg

tigagreen Registered since 03rd Jun 2006Thu 22-Jun-06 10:51 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Not my post, but thanks everyone"
In response to Reply # 13

Canton, US

Yes, thanks to all for your responses. I never realized I had a dominate eye. I've tried to shoot both film and pistols with both eyes open and find it very difficult... Does anyone know why you would be right or left eye dominate? I've taken a casual survey of friends and family, and suprised to find an equal mix.

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006Thu 22-Jun-06 02:39 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Not my post, but thanks everyone"
In response to Reply # 14

Büren, CH

I'm always using my left eye and it works well with the D50. The only reason for me sometimes to try and shoot with the right eye is because I hate the greasily traces on the LCD from my nose I am quite fussy about these things...
Actually the test with the circular finger proved my left eye to be stronger.

Cheers Daniel

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

NaturesPixel Registered since 10th Mar 2006Thu 22-Jun-06 02:42 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Thomas, CA

Left eye for when shooting with camera normal position,, and right eye when shooting with camera vertical.. i don't know why this is.. i cant see thru the viewfinder if i don't do this...lol

<i>Common sense is not so common</i>

pizzajoe62 Registered since 20th May 2006Fri 23-Jun-06 03:22 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 16

PH

be concerned when your nose causes you to miss shots that otherwise you should have not.
left or right, is all up to you.
i use both...whichever was comfortable at that moment.

joe

merlej Registered since 26th May 2006Sat 24-Jun-06 06:17 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 0

Freno, US

I use my middle eye.

Joves Registered since 28th Jan 2006Sun 25-Jun-06 11:03 PM
506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 20

Flagstaff, US

Right sometimes my left.

I shoot therefore, Iam.
http://joves.smugmug.com

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Wed 28-Jun-06 09:16 PM
305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 21

Philadelphia, US

I had always used my right eye up until a couple of weekends ago when I blinked out my right contact lens during the Thuderbirds display at my local airshow, so I shot "left-eyed" for the remainder of the show... back to all right again now.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

antifuse Registered since 28th Jun 2006Thu 29-Jun-06 09:40 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Which Eye do you use?"
In response to Reply # 0

IE

I'm a right eye shooter, although with the circle dominance test my left eye is dominant, and with the straight line dominance test my right eye is dominant. Weird!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #8233 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.