Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D50 -or- D100 Used (you thought I would say D70!)

Kent, US
27 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
johnnygofaster Registered since 22nd Nov 2005
Fri 02-Dec-05 02:57 AM

I just did the quickest look at the D100 specs. Seems very similar to the D70. I see it's a few years old, but that said they're selling used for about the same as a new D50.

I've never been a latest-greatest type. That said, the used bicyle I just bought has ended up costing me more money than expected. A cheaper new one probably would have been better.

Extending that analogy to the camera, do I get seduced by a $2000 (2002) camera for $600 or get a new "lesser" camera (loaded term, I know) for the same amount? Or, with technological advances, is "lesser" a fair term for the D50? I suspect not.

I've very little research on the D100 so I'm being a little lazy and getting your opinions. I was so surprised to see it selling for so little that I'm starting to consider it.

I haven't owned an SLR for 10 years so I'm buying it for learning and to have more flexibility than my now dead Sony point-and-shoot provided.