nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #816
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tokina Lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
Guitarmaniac Registered since 02nd Dec 2005Fri 02-Dec-05 03:38 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tokina Lenses"

US

Has anyone used the Tokina line of lenses? I am a newbie at all of this photographic jargon. So I can am very confused with what to look for in a lens.
I have a Nikon D50 (LOVE IT!) with the 18-55mm kit lens.
what I am looking for is a decent lens that will give me good pictures without overlapping into my guitar budget. (yes I know pick one, guitars or cameras).
I am not a pro, so I don't need a pro lens, but I also don't want a beater. I came across the Tokina lens on Ebay and found one for $170.00 28-300mm
so I ask what say ye all?

Paul

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Fri 02-Dec-05 04:10 AM
9625 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Tokina Lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

I came across the Tokina lens on Ebay and found one for $170.00 28-300mm so I ask what say ye all?

I've owned 6 different Tokina lenses and still own 4, but they are all from the top of the line ATX or ATX Pro series. The 28-300mm, now discontinued, was from their lesser EMZ lines.

Of the 6 Tokinas I've owned, I'd rate two of them as excellent (20-35mm f/2.8, 90mm f/2.5 macro), one as very good (80-200 f/2.8), and two as merely good (24-40mm f/2.8, 28-70mm f/2.6~2.8). The final one is a 60-120mm f/2.8 which seems promising, but I need to use it more to make a final call.

But like many manufacturers, including Nikon, Tokina offers lenses at different price points and levels of quality. I haven't used or even seen the 28-300mm, but given it's price, range and age I wouldn't have high expections for optical performance.

For just a few extra dollars, you could get the Nikon 55-200mm lens. Or you could get a 70-300mm f/4~5.6 lens from Nikon, Sigma, or Tamron. I would expect any of those choices to outperform this particular Tokina.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 02-Dec-05 04:32 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tokina Lenses"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Check out KEH.COM for this same lens in Tamron, and Sigma.

They are a reputable used dealer and their price is about the same but they will allow returns. Their rating system is very accurate.

Their highest rating means it may be missing the lens cap or something or maybe they sold it and it was returned.

ledmun

Guitarmaniac Registered since 02nd Dec 2005Fri 02-Dec-05 03:12 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Tokina Lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I am not apposed to buying used, most of my guitars are used.
This stuff can get really confusing to the newbie.
I do think I will give that company edmun recomends, a try after the Holidays.

Thanks Everyone
Paul

Paul

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #816 Previous topic | Next topic