Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #792
View in linear mode

Subject: "Taking pictures at the Georgia Aquarium" Previous topic | Next topic
spsu2009 Registered since 01st Dec 2005Thu 01-Dec-05 12:48 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Taking pictures at the Georgia Aquarium"

Marietta, US

I am an entry lever photographer who has just gotten a Nikon D50. I live in the Atlanta area and have purchased a season pass to the Georgia Aquarium. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to take some good photos of the sea creatures. Any advice would be helpful.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

tgreene Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Thu 01-Dec-05 04:28 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Taking pictures at the Georgia Aquarium"
In response to Reply # 0

Jonesboro, US

I'm an avid reefkeeper, and as such, it seems that lately 90% of my pictures are of my fish and corals...

I would suggest shooting in {SHUTTER} mode, with an ISO of either 800 or 1600 in order to eliminate the need for flash. If the flash remains active, then either turn it off or simple hold a finger over the pop-up, to keep it from being utilized.

A public aquarium will have a huge amount of Metal Halide lighting over their tanks, yet are generally kept very dark in the public corridoors. For this reason, {SPOT} metering would also be a huge advantage.

Good luck & have fun!

-Tim

henlin Basic MemberThu 01-Dec-05 06:26 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Taking pictures at the Georgia Aquarium"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Jason,

I was recently at the Baltimore Aquarium and had my 50mm f/1.8 on my D50 the entire time shooting ambient light. If you don't have this lens, I'd strongly recommend you getting one--it's a fast lens with excellent optical quality (not to mention it's only $100).

I agree with using at least ISO 800, and sometimes ISO 1600 for those darker spots. Just pay attention to your shutter speed if you're in aperture priority, or you can just shoot shutter priority.

I used center-weighted metering, but spot metering will probably do the trick as well.

Finally, I shot my files in RAW (NEF) instead of jpeg on auto-white balance since the difficult lighting wreaks havoc on the white balance. After that, just use your converter of choice to adjust the white balance to your liking.

Enjoy--the Georgia Aquarium looks like an amazing place!

-Henry
D50: 50 1.8, 24-85AFS, 28-200G, Tokina 12-24

-Henry

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 02-Dec-05 07:45 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Taking pictures at the Georgia Aquarium"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

I have a friend who was a total point and shoot person with a Sony Digital.

She was an art director. She used the stupid on camera flash at the Newport Aquarium and got some totally amazing pictures using the Sony. I would have never guessed the on camera flash would work that well.

ledmun

tgreene Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Fri 02-Dec-05 01:03 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Taking pictures at the Georgia Aquarium"
In response to Reply # 0

Jonesboro, US

I picked up a new coral colony (Blue Zoos) yesterday afternoon, and needed to photograph them. Due to their bluish/purple coloration under my equally bluish/purple tank lighting, I was having an extremely difficult time getting the shot I was looking for.

I finally ended up setting the ISO back to 200, shooting in {Shutter} mode with the shutter set at 13, and got an amazing image. A monopod was used.

* Obviously this won't work for fish!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #792 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.