nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #777
View in linear mode

Subject: "Please help solve my confusion" Previous topic | Next topic
justmyhobby Registered since 29th Nov 2005Tue 29-Nov-05 07:10 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Please help solve my confusion"

Brisbane, AU

Hello Everyone....

I am looking forward to buy a D50.....but i am confused (like many others).....D50 or D70s.....

I am a hobby photographer and currently i own an f75.....i dont know if i should mention it here but i had originally made up my mind to buy the rebel XT.....one reason was that i presume that canon has better lenses (correct me if i am wrong).....but on actually holding the camera i was not impressed with its build quality and size.....i feel that although its a DSLR its a camera which is between some point and shoot cameras and DSLR segment.....anyways....i got to click a pic from the XT and the D50....there was a difference (i guess that was due to white balance) and later studying the review of d50 here at nikonians i realized thats because a default IIIa setting which makes the pics more saturated.....anyways.....the XT is almost out of my reckoning.....

now the issue is d50 or d70s.....i dont know much abt photography as such.....why i wanna get a dslr is so that i can immediately see if the pics i have clicked have come good or not.....cause many a times i take some pictures with different exposures which donot come out good and make me feel depressed.....so basically i wanna learn about different exposure modes etc.....i know about the differences between the two cameras....i have read them.....but how much do these actually matter is what i am not able to find out....also consider this that i may probably not upgrade to any other camera....so its like a long term investment....

so please suggest me what should i do....

thanks
kush

JustMyHobby
I prefer them straight out of the camera.

Visit my Flickr Page.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Please help solve my confusion
Shred
29th Nov 2005
soupdragon
29th Nov 2005
dwig
29th Nov 2005
Shred
29th Nov 2005
ved50
30th Nov 2005
edmun
30th Nov 2005
bhola
30th Nov 2005
justmyhobby
02nd Dec 2005
Aphex
02nd Dec 2005

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Tue 29-Nov-05 07:38 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Please help solve my confusion"
In response to Reply # 0

FI

Both Nikon and Canon have great lenses and bad lenses neither one is superior when looking the whole lens range.
If you already have a Nikon SLR then the Nikon DSLR would make perfect sense.

D50 VS D70 is harder question to answer..
Generally D50 gives better results straight out of the camera and offers lower noise and less moire.
Whereas D70 offers more buttons for faster camera operation and commander mode with built in flash.

soupdragon Basic MemberTue 29-Nov-05 08:09 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Please help solve my confusion"
In response to Reply # 1

Ok, it seems, like myself, you have ruled out the 350D.
I went for the D50 out of all the Nikon offerings because I find the obsolescence rate of digital equipment financially intimidating.
If you want to learn what all the bits and bobs do, this is as good a place as any.
As for finding out how to operate the camera I would suggest reading the manual with the camera close by.
My personal opinion is that neither the D50 or 70s have much shelf life left particularly with the advent of the truly awesome looking D200.
The D50 has all the creative controls for most types of photography but does however lack mirror lock up (this is a pain if you want to do macro or micrography).

dwig Registered since 30th May 2004Tue 29-Nov-05 10:17 PM
2215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Please help solve my confusion"
In response to Reply # 1

Key West, US

>...
>D50 VS D70 is harder question to answer..
>Generally D50 gives better results straight out of the
>camera and offers lower noise and less moire.
>Whereas D70 offers more buttons for faster camera operation
>and commander mode with built in flash.

also:
The D50 uses SD cards compatible with most of the recent generation of Point&Shoot cameras. If you have a collection of such cards the D50 can use them. This makes the D50 a good choice for someone migrating up from a P&S camera.

The D70s uses CompactFlash cards, which is the standard card in all of the rest of Nikon's dSLR line and virtually all advanced and truly professional dSLRs, regardless of manufacturer. This makes the D70s a good choice for someone likely to add additional more advanced dSLR bodies in the future.

-----
dwig
nikonian in paradise
-----
use: cp8400, cp990, cp950
retired: F,ELW, 21mm, 45 f/2.8 GN
used to own: S2, SP, F2, F3, 20mm f/3.5, 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8, 43-86 f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 50 f/1.4 (for S2/SP), 55mm f/3.5 Micro, 105mm f/2.5, 105mm f/4 Micro, 300mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5 (for 4x5)

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Tue 29-Nov-05 11:29 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Please help solve my confusion"
In response to Reply # 3

FI

Bitt off topic but...
I like SD cards and hope that Nikon does same as the Canon and adds SD slots to the Pro cameras,
currently Canon EOS-1D Mark II, Canon EOS-1D Mark II N and Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II have CF + SD slots.
SD is faster media than CF so in the future we will see more DSLR cameras with SD slots.

ved50 Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 30-Nov-05 12:14 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Please help solve my confusion"
In response to Reply # 4

Boise, US

While both D50/D70 kits would cost about the same at present, D70 comes with a better kit lens (18-70) and more controls than D50.

-vedanth

veda

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 30-Nov-05 02:01 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Please help solve my confusion"
In response to Reply # 5

eugene, US

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID86/15183.html another post with the same question.

ledmun

bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 30-Nov-05 05:56 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Please help solve my confusion"
In response to Reply # 6

Chandler, US

D50 is for who is just coming in to markte for DSLR.Also traget to people who has less budget. I own D50 since I do not want to spend additional $300. Feature wise D70S may be better but you need to match that with your need and pocket- Good Luck- B

justmyhobby Registered since 29th Nov 2005Fri 02-Dec-05 05:31 AM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Please help solve my confusion"
In response to Reply # 0

Brisbane, AU

Thank you everyone for what you had to say....i have decided to buy the D50 cause it fits my requirement....As for the additional features on the d70s..i dont think i would need them as a beginner....so i am gonna get the d50....

thanks again
Kush

JustMyHobby
I prefer them straight out of the camera.

Visit my Flickr Page.

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Fri 02-Dec-05 09:07 AM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Please help solve my confusion"
In response to Reply # 8

NL

Also, when you have a somewhat tight budget, like me, don't forget that it's not all about the body. A good lens can drastically improve your image quality, but is also quite expensive. I used the money I saved from choosing the D50 instead of the D70 to buy a good replacement for the kit lens.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #777 Previous topic | Next topic