Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #7631
View in linear mode

Subject: "Date & Time reset with battery change" Previous topic | Next topic
Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Thu 01-Jun-06 02:10 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Date & Time reset with battery change"

US

This is irritating. I'll change my battery half way through a shoot, and the date and time restes. Who wants to change it when that bird your shooting is eyeing you and is judging if it should take flight or not.

Its no big deal, except I'm usaly loading it onto my Powerbook and into iPhoto to do some quick house keeping (out of focus, blured, framed all wrong, ect) and it throws them at the beguining.

Just a small peeve, and I'm woundering if I'm just doomed to deal with this as long as I use a single battery (over a battery grip to hold both my batterys).

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Date & Time reset with battery change
Tagz
01st Jun 2006
Planefreek22
01st Jun 2006
Zipper
01st Jun 2006
mfa
01st Jun 2006
MotoMannequin Moderator
01st Jun 2006
edmun
01st Jun 2006
Zipper
01st Jun 2006
K1W1
01st Jun 2006
Zipper
01st Jun 2006
Zipper
01st Jun 2006
James23p Moderator
01st Jun 2006
Zipper
01st Jun 2006
edmun
01st Jun 2006
Zipper
02nd Jun 2006
edmun
02nd Jun 2006
Zipper
02nd Jun 2006
James23p Moderator
02nd Jun 2006
edmun
03rd Jun 2006
Zipper
08th Jun 2006

Tagz Registered since 18th Feb 2006Thu 01-Jun-06 02:35 AM
89 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 0

Wyandotte, US

I use multiple batteries and have never had this reset on me yet. It still keeps an accurate time in the camera.

Planefreek22 Registered since 27th Jan 2006Thu 01-Jun-06 04:07 AM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 1

Del Mar, US

dumb question but, are you turning the camera OFF before removing the battery? that may be the problem

-Matt
http://www.driftingphotographer.com

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Thu 01-Jun-06 05:33 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Off the bat, I would say yes, but I don't remember turning it off... It was one of those things where you don't think to hard about it, you just do it

And I dont have the grip yet, but I want one

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 01-Jun-06 10:48 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 2

Pelennor Fields, US

>dumb question but, are you turning the camera OFF before
>removing the battery? that may be the problem

You should always turn the camera OFF before removing the battery. Never change a battery with the camera on! If you don't believe me, read page 9 of the manual...

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 01-Jun-06 04:17 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

It sounds like your camera is defective. I'd talk to Nikon and see what they say.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
Please visit my Nikonians gallery

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 01-Jun-06 06:31 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

Call Nikon at 1-800-645-6689 for 24 hour support.

I agree -- defective camera.

Judging from your join date your camera may qualify for exchange. Most stores have a 30 day dead on arrival policy. (some more - some less)

Nikon can help you with this also.

ledmun

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Thu 01-Jun-06 06:55 AM
#6. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Join date and bought date are different. I got it 2... maybe 3 weeks ago

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 01-Jun-06 11:26 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 6

Melbourne, AU

There is an on board battery (not the EN-EL3x) that should keep the time / date / CSM settings for approximately 1 month even if the EN-EL3x is flat or removed. I would say that this battery is faulty. The word "Battery" should be flashing on the control panel if this is the case.

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Thu 01-Jun-06 06:03 PM
#8. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Nope. No indication what so ever

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Thu 01-Jun-06 06:10 PM
#9. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Tryed duplicating this problem today. I couldn't repeat it. Tryed it with the power on and removing the battery, tryed it with the power off and removing the battery. The only differene now over yesterday is I have the Nikon battery in the camera, not my thirdparty battery

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 01-Jun-06 07:41 PM
9742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 9

Memphis, US

When you first put a battery in the D50 it charges the internal battery, maybe the off market did not fully charge the battery and now it is fully charged. I read this in one of the D50 reviews. Hope all is well. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Thu 01-Jun-06 07:47 PM
#11. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Might of. I considered this my self. Darn those off name brands

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 01-Jun-06 09:36 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 11

eugene, US

Battery was the last thing I thought of.

How off brand is the battery and where did you get it.

I was sold a off brand battery almost 2 years ago and it works fine. I was not happy when I got it and am still angry at the dealer for slipping it to me.

ledmun

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Fri 02-Jun-06 02:42 AM
#14. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Its a DigiPower from BestBuy

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 02-Jun-06 06:38 AM
#15. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 14

eugene, US

I would think the battery should be fine. Best buy in my experience sells good quality stuff.

Try the battery and see if it works in the camera, it should give you 300 plus shots or maybe put a multi meter on it and check voltage.

This camera and battery confuses me.

You might take the battery back and get a real Nikon one. I am sure they will exchange it.

ledmun

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Fri 02-Jun-06 06:40 AM
#16. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 15

US

It gave me almost 400 shots on its first charge. Its definitly good

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 02-Jun-06 05:12 PM
9742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 16

Memphis, US

I thinnk it just may not have had enough ummph to charge the internal battery and take that many shots. A side note my Nikon battery gave me over 500 with the flash used 50% of the time and still shows full. This is also spread over 5 weeks. My backup nikons have never been used I am now going to rotate them I get great battery life.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 03-Jun-06 02:17 AM
#18. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 17

eugene, US

The battery guage on the D50/D70 is not a tool to trust.

It goes from 1/2 full to empty in a few shots.

This is the improvement on the D200 it will give you a accurate guage.

ledmun

Zipper Registered since 01st Jun 2006Thu 08-Jun-06 06:57 AM
#19. "RE: Date & Time reset with battery change"
In response to Reply # 18

US

>The battery guage on the D50/D70 is not a tool to trust.
>
>It goes from 1/2 full to empty in a few shots.
>
>This is the improvement on the D200 it will give you a
>accurate guage.

Who trusts that? I learned long ago that its a reference

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #7631 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.