Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #7464
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which Kit to buy" Previous topic | Next topic
EmmaJ Registered since 25th May 2006Thu 25-May-06 09:01 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which Kit to buy"

US

I want to get bang for my buck and Im looking to go through e-bay to buy my D50 in the next week or so.

I am looking at Cameta store since it was recommended.

I really would like to keep it under $800 ..

I will be shooting children and babies mostly but also product for websites and some sports... I realize i might not be able to get a sports lens right away.

I have been told to stick with the NIkon lenses... Do you agree?
There are kits with 18-55mm NIkon and 70-300MM tamron lenses?

Also the 28-80mm lens...

I am really really new so i dont know alot about f-stops and apertures, etc.. I just need some advice telling me what to buy for what i have to spend.

Thanks for all your advice!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which Kit to buy
K1W1
25th May 2006
EmmaJ
25th May 2006
K1W1
25th May 2006
cpterm
30th May 2006
jollyllama
25th May 2006
stevefrog123
25th May 2006
pizzajoe62
26th May 2006
EmmaJ
26th May 2006
scottl
26th May 2006
EmmaJ
26th May 2006
James23p Moderator
16th Jan 2008
EmmaJ
26th May 2006
James23p Moderator
26th May 2006
pizzajoe62
27th May 2006
TBeazley
27th May 2006
K1W1
30th May 2006
TBeazley
30th May 2006
C2020
31st May 2006
EmmaJ
01st Jun 2006
EmmaJ
11th Jun 2006
Lakota
11th Jun 2006
GUNX
12th Jun 2006
James23p Moderator
12th Jun 2006
GUNX
12th Jun 2006

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 25-May-06 09:34 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

Get the D50 with 18-55 lens. It's a much better lens than many believe it to be especially in the 18-35 type range.

Get the Sigma 70-300APO DG lens for your sports and long range, it's better than the Nikon 70-300G lens for about the same price plus it has macro.

If money allows get the Nikon 50mm f1.8 (about US$100) for really sharp images of the children and low light use.

This is a good starter set and should be around your budget price. You will have a small gap between 55 and 70 but it's not really noticeable.

Don't fotget a memory card - 1 GB is plenty to start.

Also don't forget that this is the start of your journey not the end so get what you can afford now and wait for the onset of NAS.

EmmaJ Registered since 25th May 2006Thu 25-May-06 09:57 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Some of the kits have a free memory card with it! Which is great.

What is the Nikon 50MM 1.8? is that an entirely different lens.

the only kits i saw had the 18-55mm either by itself or with different other lenses....

Thanks for the reply!

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 25-May-06 10:27 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 2

Melbourne, AU

Here is the 50mm f1.8 lens

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2137

It would not generally be included in any kit deal. This lens is regarded as one of the great bargains in the Nikon range. It's fantastically sharp and produces wonderfull images even in very low light. It's about US100 or less.

The 18-55 kit lens does cover this range but the 50mm f1.8 is a "must have" for most Nikon owners due to the quality of the images it produces.

cpterm Registered since 12th May 2006Tue 30-May-06 03:26 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I used the Nikon D50 18-55mm +50mm-200mm for a couple of weeks and have been quite satisfied with both of them.But I do think it is necessary to buy a 50mm f/1.8 lens or the more expensive one 85mm f/1.8.

----------
Kai

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jollyllama Registered since 28th Mar 2006Thu 25-May-06 11:24 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I second this recommendation, at least in terms of the 18-55 and the 50 (I don't have a tele right now, so I can't advise on that end). These two lenses will give you a very large amount of range for your work. In fact, many people (myself included) go days without taking off their 50mm.

Ok, this is going to sound really harsh, but you say you don't know a lot about lenses and you just need advice. The thing is, this is the time to get really educated about lenses and cameras. You're about to throw down a whole lot of money on an expensive camera. Learn what an f-stop is, what ISO stands for, and what different focal lengths look like. Cause otherwise you're a sitting duck to get scammed and end up with a bunch of stuff you don't want. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you'll be better off.

www.elliotlevin.com
www.flickr.com/photos/elliotlevin

stevefrog123 Registered since 19th Mar 2006Thu 25-May-06 11:35 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

I recommend starting small and just get the D50 and kit lens ($650 from a trusted retailer such as B&H). Pickup a 1 or 2GB SD cards (under $50). Forget about the kits the various retailers offer. It's mostly a generic memory card and some cheapo blower brush.

You'll enjoy the 18-55. After a while you'll have a better idea of your needs and what the next purchase should be.

Steve

pizzajoe62 Registered since 20th May 2006Fri 26-May-06 06:46 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 5

PH

if you can afford the 18-70, might as well start with this.
it is better built & has a bit more reach.
i don't think it is offered as a kit lens for the D50.

joe

EmmaJ Registered since 25th May 2006Fri 26-May-06 01:28 PM
#7. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 6

US

thanks for the advice.

I do plan on reading books and trying to find a class or online tutorial! But Its one of those things, where I know this is the camera I want and I just want to start off and build from there.

Cameta Auctions is supposdly really good and alot of people have recommended them. They have the warranty and everything and it is an authorized NIKON distrubutor. Yeah it also has the extra's like memory card and case, etc.. but some of them come with 2 lenses for aorund what i want to spend. Mostly its the Nikon 55-200MM or sometimes its the Tamron 70-300MM.

But I can just get the 18-55mm and save up the money for another lens later!

scottl Registered since 30th Apr 2006Fri 26-May-06 01:59 PM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

Ashburn, US

I just puchased the D50 with 2 lenses (28-80) and (70-300) from Costco for $699. It also included a nice bag and a 256 memory card.

Regards,
Scott

http://www.scottlubow.com
A Washington D.C. Area Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

EmmaJ Registered since 25th May 2006Fri 26-May-06 04:10 PM
#9. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I saw that there... Which lens brand is it.

Is that kit better then getting one from ebay with a 18-55mm lens?
Would you recommend that?

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
9550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 9

Memphis, US

I would not get the 28-80 because on your D50 that gives you a field of view of 42-120 not a very useful range it will make it difficult to get group pictures. Plus the 28-80 is very slow to focus.

I got the two lens kit(18-55DX AF-S ED and 55-200DX AF-S ED) I find the 18-55 Nikkor to focus silently and pretty fast. Here are some pictures taken from the 18-55. These are highly cropped and still are pretty good. I have the Nikkor 28-80 just for reference so you know I have tried both. Though the 70-300 Nikkor is a fine lens slow to focus but quality of the pictures is pretty good.

Data.
18-55 DX ED AF-S at 55mm
f8
shutter 60
SB-600 in the bounce config.
Raw setting(vivd)
sharpened some in Picture Projected and 68% crop

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

EmmaJ Registered since 25th May 2006Fri 26-May-06 10:33 PM
#10. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 24

US

Those are cool pics! Thanks.

Best Buy has a sale right now for $899 and it comes with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm. I havent checked Cameta on e-bay yet to se if its similiary priced.. I also have $30 off from reward zone.

Im just waiting on a stupid check to come so i can buy this dream camera finally!

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 26-May-06 10:44 PM
9550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 10

Memphis, US

I think B&H is a little cheaper than 899 I'll check.

829 at b&H heres a link

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=381588&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

pizzajoe62 Registered since 20th May 2006Sat 27-May-06 01:56 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 11

PH

another suggestion...D50 + 50 f/1.8 + SB600.
no matter what you decide on, i wish luck & have fun!!!

joe

TBeazley Registered since 20th Apr 2006Sat 27-May-06 03:14 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

Nashville, US

I went for the refurbished one and it had a bad censor. Sent it back and still got a bad censor in the second one ,Now I will have to send it to the APS shop in Illinois and get a new censor. Its still under warranty but I'm not wasting anymore bucks on shipping to Cameta.
I would buy a new one from them though. I think their price is $624 w/2 lenses I didn't see that until I had bought the refurb....AAARRGHH

Tony B

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Tue 30-May-06 10:32 AM
#15. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 13

Melbourne, AU

>I went for the refurbished one and it had a bad censor. Sent
>it back and still got a bad censor in the second one ,
>Tony B

That's interesting. This is the first time I have ever heard somebody say that they got a dud refurbished Nikon. To get two with the same problem is really bad luck.
What exactly was the problem? "Bad sensor" could be a number of things.

TBeazley Registered since 20th Apr 2006Tue 30-May-06 12:16 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 15

Nashville, US

It was the dreaded redline on the first one and the second has burned out pixels.
Sending email to APS today about it.

C2020 Registered since 20th May 2006Wed 31-May-06 10:41 PM
267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you purchase the D50 body only, you can probably find a Nikon18-70mm DX,(kit lens with the D70), here on Nikonians.org "I want to sell" section. A lot of D70 buyers are upgrading to the more expensive f/2.8 lenses and would gladly part with their kit lens to help pay for their NAS addiction.

I myself purchased a used Nikon 24-85mm lens and though the wide angle is a little narrow, the photo quality of the lens is excellent, (kenrockwell.com has a good review of this and many other lenses).

You may also want to look at Sigma lenses. A number of Nikon owners like the Sigma 18-125mm zoom as a walk around lens. The affordable 70-300mm APO at 190.00 is also highly regarded. sigma4less.com is supposed to be a good site to buy from.

I am currently lusting after the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens that no one seems to have in stock. It seems to be the perfect walk around lens, except it costs 750.00.

I have purchased numerous cameras from butterflyphoto.com with good results. Just don't buy any of their kits, that's where they make their profits.

Good luck and welcome to the Nikon family,

bob

Bob
D90, Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 D,Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 micro, Kenko Pro 1.4x teleconverter, etc...

EmmaJ Registered since 25th May 2006Thu 01-Jun-06 03:57 PM
#18. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Thanks everyone. Still waiting on the check to come s i can buy it.

Found out I now have to move, so still gonna get the camera but canta fford too many beslls and whistles..si I might have to start witha very basic lens like the 28-80 or the 18-55 just so I can have it and shoot with it. then as we get settled I can start upgrading to better lenses.

It sucks, but at least I have the camera to start right?

EmmaJ Registered since 25th May 2006Sun 11-Jun-06 01:49 AM
#19. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well...

I got my KIt

I got the one from Costco for $799

28-80mm and 70-300mm lenses

plus a 256 lexar card, case, etc.

IM SO EXCITED...

I dont know where to start

Lakota Registered since 25th Jun 2004Sun 11-Jun-06 10:48 AM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 19

Bear, US

You will be very happy with your kit. My wife got me the D50 w/28-80 for Christmas, I didn't like the Lens, wee untill I gave it a chance to prove it's self. That is one Sharp & Light lens. I now use it as a Light carry around lens with the D50 w/28-80 in a Fanny Pack.

-When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food, and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.
- Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief

-It is not neccessary for Eagles to become Crows.
- Sitting Bull, Lakota Medicine Chief

GUNX Registered since 03rd May 2006Mon 12-Jun-06 03:58 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 20

US

I purchased the kit with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses a couple of months ago and couildn't be happier. Although I've got the bug, and am looking at other lenses, as well, the kit lenses make a great combo for the time being, and their quality is still great. One more bonus that I noticed is that the battery in the kit I bought is the EN-EL3a, rather than the EN-EL3 which I though was the standard kit battery. The thing lasts forever before needing a charge!

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Mon 12-Jun-06 04:09 PM
#22. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 21

Memphis, US

Hey gunx the EN-EL3a was the upgraded battery that Nikon went to after they had a massive recall of the EN-EL3. Plus I agree I get crazy battery life and I use alot of flash with my SB-600.
Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

GUNX Registered since 03rd May 2006Mon 12-Jun-06 05:11 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Which Kit to buy"
In response to Reply # 22

US

>Hey gunx the EN-EL3a was the upgraded battery that Nikon
>went to after they had a massive recall of the EN-EL3. Plus
>I agree I get crazy battery life and I use alot of flash
>with my SB-600.
>Jim

I'm glad I missed out on all that recall business!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #7464 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.