Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #7454
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which of these Nikon lenses produce better images on D5" Previous topic | Next topic
syluok Registered since 08th Apr 2006Wed 24-May-06 08:38 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which of these Nikon lenses produce better images on D5"

I have a D50 with the kit lens (18-55mm f3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX).I also have an older Nikon AF 28-70mm 3.5-4.5D. Which lens combined with my D50 will produce the better quality images? Apart from the small difference in range, is there anything of significance that the kit lens has over the older lens or visa versa? I have taken images with both but remained undecided.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MillerRS Registered since 06th May 2006Wed 24-May-06 09:52 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Which of these Nikon lenses produce better images o"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The 28-70 is a great midrange zoom lens. Its auto focus isn’t the greatest and its a pretty old lens. The 55mm is probably superior just because it has silent wave AF technology, so it has a really fast AF. There isnt much of a zoom difference either, if you use the 18-55, you have better wide angle coverage. If you use the 28-70 you get a better zoom…but not that different. Both are great lens, but the 55 is probably better for today's digital world.

Ryan S. Miller
Photographer
KM Photo
www.kmphotography.net.tc
rmtexas1@yahoo.com

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 24-May-06 10:29 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which of these Nikon lenses produce better images o"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

I think that the only way to trully know is to shoot with both.

I used to have the 28-70 for film. Good lens.

So if you can run some tests on a good tripod and report back,

ledmun

Apotome Registered since 27th Jan 2006Wed 24-May-06 11:19 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which of these Nikon lenses produce better images o"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I have a D50 with the kit lens (18-55mm f3.5-5.6G ED AF-S
>DX).I also have an older Nikon AF 28-70mm 3.5-4.5D.

I bought the 28-70mm for a steal off that big auction site. I got it in lieu of the 18-55mm. Call me stuck-up but I just couldn't stomach paying any money at all for a plastic mount lens. (Nikon what were you thinking?)

So far I'm really happy with the older lens. The AF is a bit slow, but the range isn't half bad. Given it all to do over again I'd probably go with the 28-105mm but that's another story.

> Which
>lens combined with my D50 will produce the better quality
>images? Apart from the small difference in range, is there
>anything of significance that the kit lens has over the
>older lens or visa versa? I have taken images with both but
>remained undecided.

Are you thinking of keeping only one and selling the other? If so, then I'd shoot some more test images and see what comes of it. You might want to shoot both lenses at both ends of their respective ranges and of course shoot some interiors and exteriors to compare.

But, if selling one isn't really necessary you might want to keep the 18-55 around as a "wide angle" lens. The 28mm end of the older lens is a bit limiting, depending on your type of subjects.

Good luck with your decision, and enjoy your D50 with whatever decision you make!

All the best,
Allan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #7454 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.