Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #7391
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mirror lockup" Previous topic | Next topic
Zoro Registered since 04th Apr 2006Tue 23-May-06 08:56 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mirror lockup"

I have been informed by a person who shoots night shots. To use mirror lockup. Camera on a tripod using the remote control. Any thoughts on this? and how do I get the mirror lockup on my D50. Can't find it in the book although I must admit to poor eyesight until I get my right eye fixed, thanks, Des

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mirror lockup
ThomasD50
23rd May 2006
Aphex
23rd May 2006
eddie_kawasaki
23rd May 2006
Planefreek22
24th May 2006
etherknot
25th May 2006
Planefreek22
25th May 2006
eddie_kawasaki
28th May 2006
britkev
28th May 2006
eddie_kawasaki
28th May 2006
britkev
28th May 2006

ThomasD50 Registered since 16th Apr 2006Tue 23-May-06 09:16 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mirror lockup"
In response to Reply # 0

Jessheim, NO

If I remember correct the D50 has mirror lockup although it cannot be used while shooting pictures, only for cleaning.

- Thomas
http://aroonie.com

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Tue 23-May-06 12:14 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mirror lockup"
In response to Reply # 1

NL

That's correct - there is no MLU on the D50. However, MLU is most effective at shutter speeds around 1/30 to 2 seconds (especially with macro).

With longer exposures it doens't matter that much, because the camera collects light over time. Only during the first and last 1/30 second or so blur is created by mirror slap. But the amount of light is probably not enough to create a visible blur.

A good, heavy tripod also dampens vibration.

eddie_kawasaki Registered since 07th Jan 2007Tue 23-May-06 11:13 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mirror lockup"
In response to Reply # 2

Alexandria, US

Use the "bulb" feature. Set dial to manual "M", turn thunbwheel left till to get to bulb on the top display. Then set the camera to use the remote control. When you press the remote the shutter will open and will not close until you press the remote again. Tripod is a must. I dont know if there is a cut off time when you use the bulb feature but I have had the shutter open for 10 minutes before I closed it. You'll have to experiment with aperture settings till you find what you need.
Check out the gallery at these night photography websites.
http://www.nightphotographer.com/gallery_frameset.htm
http://www.thenocturnes.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Planefreek22 Registered since 27th Jan 2006Wed 24-May-06 05:35 AM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Mirror lockup"
In response to Reply # 3

Del Mar, US

cutoff is at 30 minutes. Use external power cause your battery will go quick

-Matt
http://www.driftingphotographer.com

etherknot Registered since 14th Nov 2005Thu 25-May-06 01:27 AM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Mirror lockup"
In response to Reply # 4

Edmonton, CA

Now here is a curious question (because a long exposure shot like this is on my list of things to try)...

What if one had an AC power adapter to power the camera instead of using a battery? Does the 30 minute cut off still apply or is it able to continue?

Planefreek22 Registered since 27th Jan 2006Thu 25-May-06 06:10 AM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Mirror lockup"
In response to Reply # 5

Del Mar, US

I think it still cuts it off.

-Matt
http://www.driftingphotographer.com

eddie_kawasaki Registered since 07th Jan 2007Sun 28-May-06 06:16 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Mirror lockup"
In response to Reply # 4

Alexandria, US

>cutoff is at 30 minutes. Use external power cause your
>battery will go quick

Is there an external power supply for the D50??
I have never seen one, do you have a link to it?

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Sun 28-May-06 09:51 PM
305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Mirror lockup"
In response to Reply # 7

Philadelphia, US

Takes the EH-5 - same as D70/D100

$80 at B&H here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=255517&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

eddie_kawasaki Registered since 07th Jan 2007Sun 28-May-06 10:07 PM
#9. "RE: Mirror lockup"
In response to Reply # 8

Alexandria, US

>Takes the EH-5 - same as D70/D100
>
>$80 at B&H here:
>
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=255517&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Thanks, I forgot all about that port on the left side. I was thinking more of a portable power supply,one that I can use when out in the middle of nowhere for night photography with long exposures.

Also, I just tested it in the bulb mode for the maximum 30 minutes, it makes the camera kinda warm at the battery area, I only did this once today but the battery level hasnt lost any bars.

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Sun 28-May-06 10:29 PM
305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Mirror lockup"
In response to Reply # 9

Philadelphia, US

A small inverter from Radio Shack combined with the EH-5 might be the answer - add a small motorcycle battery if you want to wander away from your car...

Or a couple of spare batteries & just use the standard charger with an inverter in your car - you can recharge a dead EN-EL3 in a couple of hours - can't take more than four thirty-minute exposures in that time

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #7391 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.