Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #729
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photo quality of jpegs settings" Previous topic | Next topic
sebright Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 27-Nov-05 11:28 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photo quality of jpegs settings"

Worthington, US

I have been using digital photos, mostly scans from prints, for 15 years or more for publications. I almost always use TIFF file format as a high quality, large-file size image.

I am familiar with jpegs (and have read all the RAW discussions). When I open a fine quality jpeg in Photoshop and go to save as, it reads as a level 5 jpeg. I have assumed that on a scale from 0 to 12, a 5 is below average, yet Nikon says it is fine.

Am I correct that the fine setting produces a 5-quality jpeg?

What quality is produced using the other jpeg settings?

What is the advantage to shooting RAW and jpeg?

I have several 1-gig memory cards, so file size is not really an issue.

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 27-Nov-05 12:10 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photo quality of jpegs settings"
In response to Reply # 0

FI

I dont think that any camera produces JPEG that are in certain scale of Photoshop, i might be wrong though.
D50 jpeg quality is very good as it is in most of the cameras in this class,
it is hard to find differences between RAW and JPEG if the exposure, WB etc.. are correct,
RAW shows advantages only when doing very large prints or when doing serious post processing.
I shoot mainly RAW as i dont want to be binded by the color profiles or WB.

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sun 27-Nov-05 12:24 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photo quality of jpegs settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Always save a jpg at level 12 unless you some particular reason for having a smaller file (eg email). Having said that saving a jpg will degrade the image so save as a tiff which won't. If your programme has a proprietry format, such as psd in photoshop, use that. Opening and closing a jpg has no effect on the quality.

In the Raw plus JPG setting the jpg is a small fairly poor quality image,it's only really useful to look at and check how good the image is without opening the Raw file. I don't bother. I've found Raw to be better in every way, I'd urge anyone to at least try them.

dwig Registered since 30th May 2004Sun 27-Nov-05 01:07 PM
2215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photo quality of jpegs settings"
In response to Reply # 0

Key West, US

>..
>Am I correct that the fine setting produces a 5-quality
>jpeg?

Don't know for sure. My PS/CS default to the last used Q setting for JPEG when doing a "Save as...". I seem to remember Nikon saying that their "JPEG Fine" was a 1:4 compression on my old CP950 and my newer CP8400. That, as I understand it, is PS's "10". The new Nikon "JPEG Xtra", present in my CP8400, is billed as being a 1:2 compression which is PS/CS's "12".

>...
>What is the advantage to shooting RAW and jpeg?

Many and few, depending on how much post-processing work you are willing and capable of doing. For the most info, lurk on the Postprocessing forum, but basically:

ALL digital cameras shoot in ONLY RAW, period. That's the nature of the beast. All that save in non-RAW formats convert the RAW to the save format using the various ISO, Color Balance, Contrast, Color Saturation, ..., settings in the camera. These settings exist in all cameras though some are not exposed to the user for alteration. When you set the save format to RAW, The camera writes the RAW data to a file with the camera settings attached as a note; the camera settings are not processed. You can then open the RAW in an app like PP or CS and apply your own corrections to the RAW during the conversion. The RAW importer will first apply the camera settings as a default but you get the change to alter all or some, depending on the app, before OKing the conversion. In addition to this control, you avoid using the lossy compressions of JPEG and get a save file that is generally smaller than the rather bulk TIFF format that had formerly been the popular choice for bypassing JPEGs compression artifacts.

-----
dwig
nikonian in paradise
-----
use: cp8400, cp990, cp950
retired: F,ELW, 21mm, 45 f/2.8 GN
used to own: S2, SP, F2, F3, 20mm f/3.5, 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8, 43-86 f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 50 f/1.4 (for S2/SP), 55mm f/3.5 Micro, 105mm f/2.5, 105mm f/4 Micro, 300mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5 (for 4x5)

sebright Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 02-Dec-05 01:00 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photo quality of jpegs settings"
In response to Reply # 3

Worthington, US

Thanks for the all the info. It will help me and my staff better understand the move from film to digital.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #729 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.