nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #6654
View in linear mode

Subject: "newbie been hoodwinked on battery?" Previous topic | Next topic
drsides Registered since 01st May 2006Mon 01-May-06 08:42 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"

All-
Please tell me if I've been hoodwinked by Butterfly Photo. (first time poster, btw)

I ordered a d50 18-55mm kit from Butterfly on thursday night. On friday morning, a sales rep talked me into ordering an additional battery for $59, calling it a "4 hr" battery. After doing some research i found that the battery he sold me has exactly the same model number as the battery that comes with the 18-55mm kit (EL-EN3), but sales dude ("George") was adamant that this was a different battery. He called it a "High Capacity" EL-EN3. right. It seems to me that if that was true, then they would give it a different model number. It was too late to change the order, so now I feel hoodwinked.

Please tell me: Is there really a "High capacity" EL-EN3 that is different than the EL-EN3 that comes with the kit?

Here the website for the "High capacity EL-EN3"
https://butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=GENENEL3

Here is the website for the kit:
https://butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=D50KIT

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?
MasterDabber
01st May 2006
sillyconguru
01st May 2006
Cruiser2091
01st May 2006
drsides
01st May 2006
K1W1
01st May 2006
edmun
01st May 2006
viziondetroit
01st May 2006
mfa
02nd May 2006
Brownie
02nd May 2006
drsides
02nd May 2006
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
02nd May 2006
anyholt
04th May 2006
Stylerod
02nd May 2006
cameron_crazy
02nd May 2006
Stylerod
02nd May 2006
drsides
02nd May 2006
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
02nd May 2006
ben has a jeep
02nd May 2006
cameron_crazy
02nd May 2006
drsides
03rd May 2006
h4ck
04th May 2006
stevefrog123
08th May 2006

MasterDabber Registered since 10th Dec 2005Mon 01-May-06 09:13 PM
3276 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 0

Camberley, UK

The D50 originally shipped with the EL-EN3 which was 1400mAh. Many of these were recalled due to a problem and I believe all D50s now ship with the more powerful EN-EL3a which is 1500mAh.

Derek
My Gallery

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 01-May-06 09:16 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

Hmm... The picture isn't one of an EN-EL3, and their part number (GENENEL3) would make me think that it's a generic (i.e. not Nikon) battery.

Cruiser2091 Registered since 05th Jan 2006Mon 01-May-06 09:19 PM
417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Hi Dan,
Regardless of whether a longer lasting battery is available the standard battery I think is more than sufficient. (meaning that there is no need to change type) However I find it very convenient to have a spare battery,
I am assuming you now have 2 batteries in which case the price you paid is most probably the genuine Nikon price, I purchased my spare from Dick Smiths Electronics for about $30.
So if the salesman charged you an extra $60 for a spare thats OK but if you still only have one battery I would asking that the standard Nikon battery be supplied at the original price ($60 refund)
Regards & good luck

Greg

drsides Registered since 01st May 2006Mon 01-May-06 09:28 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 3

yeah, i know that having an extra battery is very convenient.

What irks me mostly is simply being taken advantage of. Looking back on it, it's mostly a pride thing. I usually do very thorough research and am very careful, nonetheless, was taken by one of the oldest tricks in the book: pressure tactics. Congenial, but pressure, nonetheless.

I will send it back pretty quickly. Along with the $39 filter he also talked me into.

dan

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Mon 01-May-06 10:31 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 4

Melbourne, AU

Unless you are a very very heavy user or you are travelling there is absolutely no need for a second battery on a D50.
You will get around 1000 photos (over 5 x 1GB cards worth of images)for each charge of the 1500Mah battery under normal use (LCD on, image review on).

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 01-May-06 11:06 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 5

eugene, US

Is it a real Nikon battery or something else. The Nikon one is either a "A" or a "E" the "e" I believe is grey. They also have a hologram on them

ledmun

viziondetroit Registered since 14th Mar 2006Mon 01-May-06 11:26 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 6

Detroit, US

yeah the 300 shots they list on the site is waaaaaay off. I average 1000-1200 shots per charge.

Detroit Nikonian...

www.crushmediagroup.com

D80, SB600, Nikkor 50mm f1.8, Sigma 18-55mm, Sigma 28-300mm

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Tue 02-May-06 01:51 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pelennor Fields, US

If you get the battery that is shown in that photo, you've definitely been hoodwinked. It is an EN-EL1. I use that kind in my older Nikon Coolpix 995. The EN-EL3 battery has the two contacts off to one side.

If you do get a generic brand EN-EL3 compatible, you've still been ripped-off, IMO. You can buy a genuine Nikon EN-EL3a on Amazon for $49.99.

More info: That photo is the one used on Amazon for the Lenmar DLN-EL1 battery that is equivalent to the Nikon EN-EL1. Amazon sells the LENMAR DLN-EL3 Nikon EN-EL3 Equivalent Battery for $38.99. So if that is what you end up getting, you've paid $20 too much.

Brownie Registered since 03rd Jan 2006Tue 02-May-06 04:40 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

HAHA. I did the exact same thing. I bought the d50 kit from butterfly photo and they offered me a "high capacity battery." They gave it to me for $50 and they also upgraded my shipping to two day fedex for free. The battery i got was a en el3 Targus version. It works fine on my D50 and gives me plenty of shots, my nikon battery is the backup one. Funny thing that we did the same thing.

Jeremy

Jeremy

drsides Registered since 01st May 2006Tue 02-May-06 05:20 AM
#10. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 9

Ha!
Jeremy, thanks for the encouragement. Now i dont feel so alone. On the one hand, it was only $59 and I WILL send it back. On the other hand, I still was taken. "George" (if that is his real name) upgraded my shipping too. Big whoop. I still wont have my SD card so its of no use.

Oh, by the way, butterflyphoto tried this same song and dance first by trying to talk me into a sigma 18-200 zoom by trying to convince me that it was a superior lens to the nikon 18-200. Well, in that case, i'd done a lot of homework ahead of time and didnt bite. The funniest thing about that shpiel was that good ole "George" actually told me that Butterfly photo had it on sale from $999 to $499. Pretty tempting if it really is better than the nikon, $150 cheaper, and no waiting. Well, come to find out that $499 is a stratospheric price for that hardware. You can find it for $325 or so.

okay... enough banter. Thanks so much for the feedback all. I wish that i'd posted some basic questions here before i purchased.

thanks,
dan

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 02-May-06 05:55 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 10

Livermore, CA, US

I have to say, in these days of open communication between consumers, there's no reason to ever fall for this kind of scam.

Online photo stores can be the worst of all, and most the bad ones seem to have a Brooklyn address. The typical scam is that they offer unbelievable prices, then call and try to upsell on overpriced accessories. If you don't byte then all of a sudden your item is on backorder.

Butterfly seems to be not that bad, for a Brooklyn store, in that they seem to ship your stuff even if you don't fall for the upsell.

Research your products before buying so you're prepared, and absolutely research the store:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4576.html

You will always see a negative review, but if a store's rating is below 9 then I stay away.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
Please visit my Nikonians gallery

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

anyholt Registered since 21st Jul 2004Thu 04-May-06 03:03 PM
1134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 11

Houston, US

Always buy from B&H, and you will always be happy. They are very trustworthy, provide good customer service, and have competitive prices. Sure, others may be cheaper, but why risk it? Other reputable online dealers are Adorama.com, and a little less so, Abes of Maine.

--
Adam
A Nikonian in Texas

"Jesus wasn't afraid of controversy- of revealing the worth of those considered worthless"
- Donald Miller

--
Adam
A Nikonian in Texas
www.whatsyourimage.com

"Just because you own photoshop, doesn't mean you should use it" - Jasmine Star

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Stylerod Registered since 13th Apr 2006Tue 02-May-06 12:14 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 9

High Point, US

>HAHA. I did the exact same thing. I bought the d50 kit from
>butterfly photo and they offered me a "high capacity
>battery." They gave it to me for $50 and they also upgraded
>my shipping to two day fedex for free. The battery i got was
>a en el3 Targus version. It works fine on my D50 and gives
>me plenty of shots, my nikon battery is the backup one.
>Funny thing that we did the same thing.
>
>Jeremy

Buydig didn't try to sell me a new battery but I did want a spare. So I ordered the same el3 Targus you got from newegg.com, for $19.95.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830999115

cameron_crazy Registered since 20th Mar 2006Tue 02-May-06 01:28 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I also got my D50 from butterfly photo, but I didn't fall to that trick. They told me the same thing. He said that the original battery that comes with the kit is a 40 min battery It wasn't my first time buying cameras, I had done my homework before ordering, so I refused him politely. Then when I got the package, it was EN-EL3a instead of EN-EL3. I just got lucky I guess.

Although I didn't have any problems with this order, I wouldn't recommend butterfly photo. They are bunch of liers. I ordered another point and shoot camera from them. The next day I got the phone call, he said it is out of stock, it will be available in 3 weeks, and I have to cancel my order now and order it again later. So I cancelled it. But I got suspicious since the camera still looked available online, and the price increased for another $20 after I had placed my order. Then I called them and asked them if that camera is available; the guy said it's in stock, and shipped the next day. Argggh. They just lied to me for $20 more profit. I dunno if it was because of that or the fact that I didn't order any accesories in my previous 2 orders. I will never do business with tham again.

Stylerod Registered since 13th Apr 2006Tue 02-May-06 01:46 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 13

High Point, US

>I also got my D50 from butterfly photo, but I didn't fall to
>that trick. They told me the same thing. He said that the
>original battery that comes with the kit is a 40 min battery
> It wasn't my first time buying cameras, I had done my
>homework before ordering, so I refused him politely. Then
>when I got the package, it was EN-EL3a instead of EN-EL3. I
>just got lucky I guess.
>
>Although I didn't have any problems with this order, I
>wouldn't recommend butterfly photo. They are bunch of liers.
>I ordered another point and shoot camera from them. The next
>day I got the phone call, he said it is out of stock, it
>will be available in 3 weeks, and I have to cancel my order
>now and order it again later. So I cancelled it. But I got
>suspicious since the camera still looked available online,
>and the price increased for another $20 after I had placed
>my order. Then I called them and asked them if that camera
>is available; the guy said it's in stock, and shipped the
>next day. Argggh. They just lied to me for $20 more profit.
>I dunno if it was because of that or the fact that I didn't
>order any accesories in my previous 2 orders. I will never
>do business with tham again.

If you haven't already you really need to go to http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4576.html and post your experience. Looks like you all are not alone, as reseller ratings shows Butterfly Photo with a 6.57 average rating. Pretty bad.

drsides Registered since 01st May 2006Tue 02-May-06 02:46 PM
#15. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 14

original poster again here.
First, let me suggest that everyone not make the mistake that i did: I took the call at work and made a decision before i had time to do due diligence. That's common sense in retrospect i guess.

Second, I found the price (which was very good for the d50 18-200 kit) thru pricegrabber.com. pricegrabber is great in that they find prices and seller ratings in the same place. Anyway, pricegrabber rated them very highly: 4.5 out of 5 stars (after 5000 reviews). In pricegrabber land, that is pretty good. Thats why i went with them. I wonder how they could have had that good a review with that much upselling. Seems contradictory.

I am new to nikonians.org. Is there a sticky in any forum somewhere that nikonians recommend or report on bad stores?

dan

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 02-May-06 02:53 PM
9855 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 15

Memphis, US

Yes you can post in the Shops and Online retailers forum. In the end with some aggravation and a battery that was over pricced at least you got a D50 kit with a USA warrenty and all the stuff. I think most of use at sometime have been there and all we can do is learn from our mistakes. Enjoy your D50 and kind regards. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

ben has a jeep Registered since 30th Dec 2004Tue 02-May-06 10:51 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 15

Eddington, US

The thing about pricegrabber ratings is that you don't have to be a customer to give them a rating. There are several horriable stores on pricegrabber that have great scores. Basically when they have time, they pad their own scores.

And yes you were taken on the battery. I just ordered 2 for my D50 for $20 delivered. They are generic and 1,500 mah version (knew ahead of time). All the scum stores try to sell extremely cheap generic accessories for the full blown list price of the Branded items. Unfortunately people keep going to them, keeping them in business. The govt' knows they bait and switch but either will not or can't do anything.

cameron_crazy Registered since 20th Mar 2006Tue 02-May-06 10:40 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>If you haven't already you really need to go to
>http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4576.html and post your
>experience. Looks like you all are not alone, as reseller
>ratings shows Butterfly Photo with a 6.57 average rating.
>Pretty bad.

I had already post reviews on resellerratings and pricegrabber.
Well, I hope the warranty is valid. It says on the warranty card that the camera had to be bought from an authorized dealer, and I couldn't find out if they are authorized dealer or not. The Nikon website doesn't show the online dealers, and calling Nikon didn't help either.

drsides Registered since 01st May 2006Wed 03-May-06 06:36 PM
#19. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 17

original poster again.

The d50 was delivered yesterday and for what it's worth, the battery was indeed a Targus en-el3. Not a Nikon. I found that this particular battery can be had for $12 to $20. Again, I was hoodwinked for $59 for it.

Per the pricegrabber vs resellerratings conversation... why is that the pricegrabber numbers can be manipulated and resellerratings presumably can't be (or at least not as much)? What's the filter? Is it just a box that says that "Yes, I bought something from this company?".

dan

h4ck Registered since 12th Apr 2006Thu 04-May-06 02:47 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#20. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 19

Brooklyn, US

as for sending back the battery, not a bad idea at all. as for the filter, if you DO send it back, make sure you get one. just a UV is fine, to protect the lens. a scratched filter is a lot cheaper to replace than a scratched lens.

http://bit-shift.com/gallery2/

stevefrog123 Registered since 19th Mar 2006Mon 08-May-06 06:34 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: newbie been hoodwinked on battery?"
In response to Reply # 17

Seattle, US

Butterfly is not an authorized Nikon dealer. I emailed Nikon back in March as Butterfly wasn't listed on the Nikon USA website.

The response I received:

"Butterfly Photo is not an authorized Nikon dealer. We do not have a business relationship with them.
Because they do not have an account with Nikon USA, they obtain cameras from other sources and this may be the gray market issue. Gray market products do not have valid warranties and Nikon will not service these products.

We recommend that you purchase the Nikon D50 from an authorized Nikon dealer with Nikon USA warranty.

Thanks for using Nikon products!
Nikon Inc. (USA) Support / Service
http://support.nikontech.com

Any use, dissemination, distribution, posting on Internet bulletin boards, disclosure or copying of this e-mail or any information contained herein by or to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this E-mail without reading or saving in any manner.

Sincerely,
Myron M.
Technical Relations
Nikon Inc. USA"

>I had already post reviews on resellerratings and
>pricegrabber.
>Well, I hope the warranty is valid. It says on the warranty
>card that the camera had to be bought from an authorized
>dealer, and I couldn't find out if they are authorized
>dealer or not. The Nikon website doesn't show the online
>dealers, and calling Nikon didn't help either.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #6654 Previous topic | Next topic