Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #658
View in linear mode

Subject: "Underexposure with D50" Previous topic | Next topic
RandomFeature Registered since 24th Nov 2005Fri 25-Nov-05 12:24 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Underexposure with D50"

US

Hi Nikonians,

After years of shooting film with an N60 I've had a D50 for a couple of weeks and am not happy with the results so far. Many shots appear underexposed. I've noticed this with and without flash and indoors and out. I can't find anything in the shots that would fool the meter into underexposure. Is it normal for histograms of shots with the D50 to be far to the left (not have anything above 200 on a scale of 0 - 255)?

Thanks for your help and advice,

Jerry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Underexposure with D50
bclaff Silver Member
25th Nov 2005
edmun
25th Nov 2005
RandomFeature
25th Nov 2005
bclaff Silver Member
26th Nov 2005
simpo two
26th Nov 2005
calvsung
10th Dec 2005
RandomFeature
10th Dec 2005
RandomFeature
10th Dec 2005
kturner1
26th Nov 2005
RandomFeature
29th Nov 2005
davidvoo
28th Nov 2005
Aleks
28th Nov 2005
RandomFeature
29th Nov 2005

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Fri 25-Nov-05 03:45 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Jerry,

Your profile says you usually shoot Aperture mode.
Be sure you haven't accidentally set any exposure compensation.
See page 47 of the D50 manual for details.

Bill

Visit me at My site

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 25-Nov-05 04:18 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Try program and see if problem goes away or set S to 1/125

ledmun

RandomFeature Registered since 24th Nov 2005Fri 25-Nov-05 10:08 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi, thanks for the responses. To reduce the chances of user error I have been shooting on the programmed auto quite often to start. Included is the EXIF of one shot that was underexposed. The subject in this example was only a few feet away, so lack of flash power should not have been the cause.

Quite often in Photoshop the first thing I have to do is add a Levels layer and move the white point down to about 200. I'll switch to auto ISO next time I shoot, but I doubt that will help.

Jerry

Nikon D50
2005/11/24 11:54:51.1
JPEG (8-bit) Basic
Image Size: Large (2000 x 3008)
Lens: 28-105mm F/3.5-4.5 D
Focal Length: 40mm
Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/60 sec - F/4
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image: Custom
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Auto Flash Mode: Built-in TTL
Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)
Tone Comp.: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Normal
Image Comment:
Long Exposure NR: Off

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sat 26-Nov-05 05:15 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Jerry,

Unless you shoot in Manual mode or use Spot metering the flash acts as a fill flash and not as the primary source of light; so I don't find your result suprising.

Since you're an experienced photographer I suggest just getting in Aperture mode or whatever you would ordinarily do.
The "auto" modes make choices for you that may lead to unexpected results.

Just my opinion,
Bill

Visit me at My site

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Sat 26-Nov-05 10:18 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

(just visiting)

I get exactly the same with my D70. It was pretty scary compared to my old F70. I can only think it's an attempt to stop highlights burning out.

All I can suggest is that you use the histogram and be ready to dial in up to +2 EV if required. Strange but true.

Why Nikon can't make an exposure system that places the curve properly in the histogram is a cause of wonderment to me.

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

calvsung Registered since 10th Dec 2005Sat 10-Dec-05 05:00 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi,

>Optimize Image: Custom
Seems that you are using a custom curve.
How about trying those defaults first?

Calvin

RandomFeature Registered since 24th Nov 2005Sat 10-Dec-05 04:21 PM
#12. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the idea. I haven't tried custom curves yet so I'm guessing it says custom because I had sharpening set to low.

Jerry

RandomFeature Registered since 24th Nov 2005Sat 10-Dec-05 04:30 PM
#13. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Oops, my previous post is incorrect. I have optimize image on "softer" and will return it to "normal." Thanks.

>Hi Calvin,
>
>Thanks for the idea. I haven't tried custom curves yet so
>I'm guessing it says custom because I had sharpening set to
>low.
>
>Jerry

kturner1 Registered since 12th Oct 2003Sat 26-Nov-05 10:55 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 0

There are lots of threads like this in the D70 forum and probably others. i-TTL vs i-TTL-Bl, white balance, highlight preservation, bad design, etc are all presented as reasons. I'm sure you've checked that exposure/flash compensation are not mistakenly applied. Here's my conclusions: If you're coming from a point/shoot type camera, they tend to overexpose and produce warm results. My D70 will render a dark scene darkly and runs cooler - I think generally more realistically. My point & shoot makes everything look the same brightness-wise and will sacrifice subjects for background. If your scene is dark, the histogram should be to the left. Now, if you know you've got bright white highlights, they should be way right. If they aren't, as you suggest, something is going on. I-TTL-Bl is only good with dark subjects against bright backgrounds. It's too bad the built-in flash has limited non-Bl options. White balance is important. I've been criticized for this statement but improper white balance can impersonate underexposure by applying a blue haze. Try flash WB when using flash. I keep my D70 pretty much on cloudy. I don't like the D70 auto WB. How results are viewed matters too. I find that commercial prints show much more shadow detail than my monitor. Maybe they adjust when they print. I had thought that many of these issues were handled differently with the D50 vs the D70. For example, I thought the D50 did a better job of auto WB with the flash. Anyway, I used to feel the same way about my D70 as you do about your D50. Now, I think it does fine. Watch out for highlights, get WB correct, if you want a dark scene bright: add exposure. YMMV but some things to try.

RandomFeature Registered since 24th Nov 2005Tue 29-Nov-05 03:38 AM
#9. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 6

US

It is comforting to see that others here and in the D70 forum have noticed what I am seeing. This relieves the fear that I have a bum camera.

My assumption on what I have seen is that the D50 has a wider dynamic range than I am used to with film, and it will often render low contrast scenes with black as black and white as grey. For the shots in question the histogram is never clipped on the left, which leads me to believe the camera knows what it is doing. It is then up to me to bring the white point down to where I think it should be. This is different than what I am used to with film, not a problem but an adjustment.

So perhaps I was a bit optimistic thinking that I would always get good results out of the camera without adjustments. I guess this makes sense. So they haven't made a camera that does it all for me yet. Perhaps a Canon? Just kidding.

Jerry

davidvoo Registered since 28th Nov 2005Mon 28-Nov-05 01:27 PM
#7. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 0

i am still newbie but i do remember D50 have exposure compensation of +/-5 that can be adjusted using the menu.

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 28-Nov-05 09:18 PM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 7

Calgary, CA

I noticed in the EXIF that you have ISO200 for that shot.....and you were using flash.....does that mean you shot low light? If so that may be the cause for underexposure, bump it up to 400 or so and try again....Unless I missed somewhere you said you shot in daylight etc. this is what I gather out of this...

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

RandomFeature Registered since 24th Nov 2005Tue 29-Nov-05 03:49 AM
#10. "RE: Underexposure with D50"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I wouldn't say low light, it was indoors with lights on, but the result (according to the histogram) was low contrast. ISO 400 shots where similar. My use of the term underexposure may not have been accurate since the left side of the histogram was not clipped. Low contrast and flat looking with the histogram biased towards dark may be more accurate.

Jerry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #658 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.