Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #648
View in linear mode

Subject: "Metz 45CT4 .....??" Previous topic | Next topic
theNEWT Registered since 24th Nov 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 09:48 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Metz 45CT4 .....??"

Adelaide, AU

Hi Folks. I'm new here and joined in the first instance at least to ask this question. I have a pair of Metz 45CT4's that I have had for years and would like to be able to use them with the D50 if possible. At present I cant even get them to fire singularly on manual mode. My leads are SCA-343 and the common lead is a Nikon SC-17 for joining the two together. They are dedicated to Nikon TTL via the leads, well at least with all prior models I have used.

Anyone know of any adapters etc I might be able to purchase? It seems the camera knows the flash is there as the popup stays down and the little flash signal inside the camera continues to flash as if the charge state of the flash isnt being recognised.

Cheers

Mark Newton
Adelaide, Australia

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 24-Nov-05 01:59 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Metz 45CT4 .....??"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

Call Metz. or email them.

The flash should work only in A, or M not in TTL.

The camera will not recognize old Nikon flashes in TTL only A, and M.

ledmun

Mikofox Registered since 04th Nov 2005Fri 25-Nov-05 07:28 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Metz 45CT4 .....??"
In response to Reply # 0

Whitehorse, CA

Same problem here with a Metz 32CT3.
The D50 manual warns of connecting any non Nikon flashes.

Mikofox Registered since 04th Nov 2005Fri 25-Nov-05 10:46 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Metz 45CT4 .....??"
In response to Reply # 0

Whitehorse, CA

Here is the scope.
Take the SCA 343 base off the flash and tape over contact #8 on the flash's circuit board. That is the third contact on the right side (middle one). That is, if you look at the contacts with the flash pointing away from you, or with the serial number right side up.

The flash should then work in A/M mode. The flash indicator won't show on the control panel of the D50 any longer.

I must have had the same problem before with my FM2 camera, as I found another adapter for the Metz flash, that has only one middle and side contacts. I don't see any number on it, so I can not tell if it is an original Metz part, but it may well be.

That leaves you with two options. Good luck!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #648 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.