Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #6410
View in linear mode

Subject: "JAMES23P" Previous topic | Next topic
zeppelin Basic MemberSat 22-Apr-06 07:47 AM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"JAMES23P"

sittingbourne, GB

hello jim ,
like you i love film , in common we both have the fm2n and fm3a . but last night i went out and bought a d50 with the kit 18-55 lens. now my question is ,, why have you got the d50 ?? we both have a reason and i just wondered what yours was . my reason will follow .

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sat 22-Apr-06 11:33 AM
9642 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: JAMES23P"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

Good morning. I almost always shoot slide film and real BW but I really wanted something for snapshots. I also had lots of complaints from the grandparents that all the other grandparents get emails of pictures and even though I have a scanner I am not very good at it.

So when the D50 cameout it seemed like the perfect solution, similar to my N80, supposedly has the best out of camera picture and requires the least amount of PP, and most of all it was cheap by DSLR standards without feeling cheap.

I find I use it now whenever I would use print film, the film Nikons are for B&W and slide film which is 70% of the time. Plus occasionaly I get people who want me to do some parties and reunion type stuff so I use the D50 for the casual walk around shots, the FM3a with B&W and the N80 with some good portrait film(Portra/NPH etc) for the posed shots.

Plus I needed something to take pictures of my film Nikons Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

zeppelin Basic MemberSun 23-Apr-06 06:50 AM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: JAMES23P"
In response to Reply # 1

sittingbourne, GB

hello Jim , thanks for the reply ,,
i asked the question in the first place because ive read your posts in the mf forum and also noticed you in this one as well , and its like hey he's done what i'm thinking of doing , like you i have an (fm2n? )and an fm3a and love them both ,and for something like 98% of the time i have either hp5 or to a lesser extent fp4 in them i dont think ive put more than a dozen rolls of colour through them since ive had them (six years for the fm2 and about three for the three )so for some colour pics the d50 seems a way i can pick and choose what to have printed instead of taking 36 exp's and only putting two or three in the album. thats around 3 pounds for a film and six to dev and print / it works out fairly expensive for just a handfull of photos , not only that my kids are getting older now 18,,16,,and 14 and its not easy getting them to :pose: for pics so a colour film would sit in the camera for months. also another reason was from time to time ( not so much recently ) i have submitted pictures to our local newspaper in print form which they have scanned and included in the next edition but the quality has been pretty poor and ive decided to try and get a few more of my photos in there and this has got to be the best way to do it ( deadline is 11.00 am tuesday morning so if i do anything over the weekend its a bit of a rush to get them there in time )so like you i will still use a proper camera for my main enjoyment and pleasure and a cheap (ish) digital for the snapshots . cheers Jim all the best Andy........

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sun 23-Apr-06 12:52 PM
9642 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: JAMES23P"
In response to Reply # 2

Memphis, US

Hi Andy seems we have similar idea's other than I shoot alot of slide film but since I got the D50 I do not shoot any print film only slide and B&W.

With slides I can print only the ones I like and it is very cost effective, 6 dollars for 36 slides and 19 cents made on a Fuji Frontier system very effective and great quality.

I can see the ease of using the D50 for newspaper stuff easy to send and has to be better than a scanned print.

Thanks for the post. Kind Regards Jim

See ya in the wild MF forum!

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Sun 23-Apr-06 02:05 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: JAMES23P"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Jim and Andy,

Have you considered e-mail or Private Messages for this conversation.

Bill

Visit me at My site

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #6410 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.