Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #638
View in linear mode

Subject: "Connection times out while downloading" Previous topic | Next topic
txtinman Registered since 10th Nov 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 01:32 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Connection times out while downloading"

Lorena, US

My D50 drops the connection after a couple of minutes when I connect to my computer. If I have lots of pictures I can't get them all downloaded before the connection drops. I use Linux on my computer, and connect using the USB mass storage device to connect and download with nautilus.

Has anyone else seen this? I can't find anything in the manual about a time limit or a way to set it for longer periods.

Mike White

Don't Fear The Penguins!
Linux user #193432

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Connection times out while downloading
henlin
24th Nov 2005
K1W1
24th Nov 2005
bhola
24th Nov 2005
txtinman
25th Nov 2005
debarshiduttagupta
26th Nov 2005
txtinman
26th Nov 2005
jayswift
13th Dec 2005
espuna
13th Dec 2005
txtinman
13th Dec 2005

henlin Basic MemberThu 24-Nov-05 04:12 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Connection times out while downloading"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I haven't had this problem at all even downloading a full 1 GB card in NEF format, but I'm running WinXP and Photoshop Elements 3.

If this keeps happening, you might want to look into getting a card reader so you can just pop the card in instead of connecting the camera to the computer. What brand of SD card are you using?

-Henry

-Henry

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 06:18 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Connection times out while downloading"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

I have never in my life connected a camera directly to a PC.
Get a USB card reader and put the SD card into that.
Benefits,
Quicker transfers
No drivers required
Saves camera battery
Can use another card to take photos while one is copying if required

You camera is probably going into sleep mode and causing the connection to drop out. You won't have this issue with a card reader either.

bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 06:37 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Connection times out while downloading"
In response to Reply # 2

Chandler, US

getting card reader is simple solution how ever if you prefer to connect camera check USB driver that you are using.

txtinman Registered since 10th Nov 2005Fri 25-Nov-05 05:16 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Connection times out while downloading"
In response to Reply # 2

Lorena, US

>You camera is probably going into sleep mode and causing the
>connection to drop out. You won't have this issue with a
>card reader either.

Is there a way to overide sleep mode on the D50, or at least extend the time before it goes into sleep mode?

Mike White

Don't Fear The Penguins!
Linux user #193432

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Sat 26-Nov-05 12:33 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Connection times out while downloading"
In response to Reply # 0

Kolkata, IN

Mike

I think you can consider buying a separate card reader. When I bought my D50, the next thing I bought was a filtre for my kit lens AND THE SD CARD READER. I do not like the idea of connecting the camera directly to the PC for downloading the pictures. By using a card reader you can download the images faster and can save the camera in case of an accidental power surge, or if the computer by any reason shuts down due to power failure. In case the above happens you only risk the loss of a 100$ SD card and not a 800$ Digital SLR Camera.

Keep Clicking

Debarshi

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

txtinman Registered since 10th Nov 2005Sat 26-Nov-05 02:17 AM
#6. "RE: Connection times out while downloading"
In response to Reply # 5

Lorena, US

Your probably right. I configured my HP PhotoSmart 7350 printer so I could use it as a card reader, but my hair grows faster that it downloads. I guess I'll start looking for a reader

Don't Fear The Penguins!
Linux user #193432

jayswift Registered since 02nd Dec 2005Tue 13-Dec-05 02:55 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Connection times out while downloading"
In response to Reply # 0

yonkers, US

jayswift

the nikon driver is not supported by linux os
it only works on win /mac try using win or mac you will be fine or a
card reader the has linux divers that suport jpigs and so on

good luck

jayswift

espuna Registered since 07th Dec 2005Tue 13-Dec-05 08:37 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Connection times out while downloading"
In response to Reply # 7

Mazarrón, ES

Also by using a card reader you don't have to lift that rubber flap, and have a difficult time putting it back - not the best piece of Nikon design.

txtinman Registered since 10th Nov 2005Tue 13-Dec-05 11:45 PM
#9. "RE: Connection times out while downloading"
In response to Reply # 7

Lorena, US

I don't need the Nikon drivers to download the pictures. I just use the mass storage device driver on Linux. I have a Samsung point and shoot that does not go to sleep as long as there is activity on the camera. I've never had a problem with it, so I think it's a matter of finding out how to get the Nikon to stay awake. I probably will get a card reader as soon as I find one I like. I haven't used Window$ for over five years, so I don't think I'll be going back there.

Thanks for the input. If anyone figures out how to keep the D50 awake during long downloads, I'll be lurking right here.

Don't Fear The Penguins!
Linux user #193432

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #638 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.