Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #629
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photo Quality" Previous topic | Next topic
bron1son Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Wed 23-Nov-05 09:09 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photo Quality"

Sherman Oaks, US

I have only had the D50 about one month. This is my first SLR. The problem I'm having is that most of the photos are grainy, not very sharp and the color is way off. I would like to think that the Auto mode would give me a great photo, but it doesn't. Could someone tell what the best settings are for the highest quailty photos. Most of my photos are indoors, posed photos. I also do outdoor photos. My lens is a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. I am very disappointed with the D50. Please help me.

Susan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photo Quality
bernie76
23rd Nov 2005
ved50
23rd Nov 2005
henlin
24th Nov 2005
nipprdog
24th Nov 2005
Drewhound
24th Nov 2005
Drewhound
24th Nov 2005
debarshiduttagupta
25th Nov 2005
bron1son
25th Nov 2005

bernie76 Basic MemberWed 23-Nov-05 10:04 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photo Quality"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

Do you have your image quality set to "JPEG fine" ?

With "JPEG fine" and using the camera in auto mode, you should get very good results outdoors. If you focus properly, your photos should be sharp with good color.

If not, it sounds like you might need to bring it in for repair.

Scott

Some people are like slinky toys, not
really good for anything, but still bring
a smile to your face when you push
them down a flight of stairs....

ved50 Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 23-Nov-05 10:55 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photo Quality"
In response to Reply # 1

Boise, US

You might also want to check the ISO settings. I had a similar problem and when I downloaded the images to my PC and observed my image settings, I realised that when I set to AUTO ISO, D50 freaks out setting the ISO at its will (upto 1600) even in the well lit situations. This might cause the picture to be grainy.

-vedanth

veda

henlin Basic MemberThu 24-Nov-05 04:37 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photo Quality"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I agree--auto ISO should definitely be turned OFF. I shot in sport mode once during sunset hours and found that all my pics were grainy, and the colors were "off." When I looked at the EXIF data, those pics were the ones where ISO was 1600.

So if you want more control over your exposure, use the digital vari-program modes under more controlled settings or avoid them altogether. For myself, I find that those vari-programs are oft-times more "handicapping" since you're at the mercy of the camera.

This has forced me to become more comfortable with shooting in manual or aperture priority modes, which hopefully, will make me a better photographer as i'm more aware of each situation and can try to adjust the settings to best present the subject matter. That's the reason I "outgrew" my P&S and own a D50 now.

-Henry

-Henry

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 12:57 AM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photo Quality"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I would like to think that the Auto mode would give me a great
photo, but it doesn't.

first, you don't buy a $700 camera to shoot auto

second, there is something wrong. its either your settings, lens, or printer.

I've had my D50 for a month, and I am amazed at the sharpness of the 8x12s I've had printed.

my lenses; kit, 50mm 1.8, 80-200 2.8, 70-300 3.6-5.54.

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Thu 24-Nov-05 11:42 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photo Quality"
In response to Reply # 0

The best quality settings are fine JPG or RAW. RAW have a big advantage at times not least because you can adjust the WB which is probably your colour problem. Very few cameras will get indoor colour exactly right in any mode apart from doing a custom WB.

I agree the auto ISO is probably bumping the ISO up high though it wouldn't do it if it wasn't necessary. Try turning it off and see what the images look like. If they are properly exposed the D50 produces excellent quality high ISO images with very little noise (grain). I think it's a great feature but if you don't like it leave it turned off

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Thu 24-Nov-05 11:45 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photo Quality"
In response to Reply # 5

I should have added, I agree also use one of the other modes, auto will try to give you a smaller aperture than you perhaps want or need, that will make the ISO higher than necessary

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Fri 25-Nov-05 04:38 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Photo Quality"
In response to Reply # 0

Kolkata, IN

Susan

My D50 takes very good photos with the follwing settings : ISO 200 (no grains at all), JPEG, File size - large, mode - Fine. I use the following lenses with my D50 - Nikkor 50mm 1.8D, Nikkor 28-100mm G, Nikkor 70-300mm G and Sigma 28-135 Aspherical macro and the kit 18-55mm DX ED G.

I please fiddle around with the settings, also try to use a tripod in low light situation. Just remember higher iso settings will give you more noise/grains. ISO 200 will give you very low noise or no noise at all.

You can also try to shoot in the aperture priority and shutter priority and program mode.(I use aperture priority most of the time now.) AUTO ISO IS A BIG NO.

All the best

Debarshi

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

bron1son Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Fri 25-Nov-05 05:29 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Photo Quality"
In response to Reply # 7

Sherman Oaks, US

Thank you for your advice. I'm a beginner with SLR and it really helps to hear from someone with experience.
Thank You
Susan

Susan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #629 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.