Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #59
View in linear mode

Subject: "Battery Grip for D50" Previous topic | Next topic
Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sat 29-Oct-05 01:48 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Battery Grip for D50"

FI

As all posts regarding D50 are now gone, it's time to revive some topics.

Currently available grips for D50: Jenis JND50 battery grip
Availability and pricing are unknown...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Battery Grip for D50
aacycles
30th Oct 2005
Shred
30th Oct 2005
aacycles
31st Oct 2005
tgreene
04th Nov 2005
aacycles
04th Nov 2005
aacycles
04th Nov 2005
aacycles
05th Nov 2005
tgreene
05th Nov 2005
tgreene
07th Nov 2005
free2_flickr
10th Nov 2005
MrWalker
10th Nov 2005
tgreene
10th Nov 2005
MrWalker
10th Nov 2005
free2_flickr
10th Nov 2005
MINGZNIKONIAN
10th Nov 2005
aacycles
10th Nov 2005
aacycles
10th Nov 2005
free2_flickr
14th Nov 2005
cameraguy21773
17th Nov 2005

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Sun 30-Oct-05 04:11 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Hope this helps those of you looking for more info on the jenis/hahnel grip for the D50

here are links to the sites selling the hahnel grip (jenis)plus some pics from another site (not in english) but has good close up pics.

http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/publish/article_818.shtml

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/searchxx.pl?01pow,BATT,STILL,nik

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/recorprod/1/product/11596/cat/1223/ph/cat/keywords//recor/1/SearchFor//PT_ID/1/product.asp.

This grip does not have a portrait button.

As the D70/D70s do not have a dedicated nikon grip i doubt very much nikon will ever bring one out for the D50. Even looking at the so called nikon D200 Grip? with its pins in a similar position to the pins in the D50 i would not get your hopes Up. I could be wrong. Unless in there wisdom when nikon designed the D50 Knowing the D200 was not to far behind they may have made one grip that fits both. But this is probably unlikly.

If like me you need a grip for better ballance with long lenses and extra battery power this will do fine. the portrait button for me personaly is not critical (It would have been a nice bonus).

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 30-Oct-05 11:02 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 1

FI

It is good to see that the D50 grip made it to the market,
but price seems little high for such an simple device even with supplied batteries.
Keep posting grip information

PS.
I don't even dream on fitting D200 grip to D50 as cameras are so different,
but i hope that similar "designed for D50" grip from Jenis, Harbotronics, Hoodman etc. would work.

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Mon 31-Oct-05 04:51 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 2

Hanel's HN-D50 Grip (This is the Jenis model re-packaged) is actually fairly good value however i agrea that it would have been nice to just get the grip without the batteries for half the price.
As jenis make a D70 grip with a vertical shutter button, i think they would have investigated weather the D50 could be adapted in the same way. As they have released this model without one i guess there is not. I have one of these grips on pre-order from my local store here in the UK. They told me they were not yet in the country but expexted stock anywere between 1 & 5 Weeks. 1 week gone so i will check back with the shop this week. I will post some info when i get hold off it.

tgreene Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Fri 04-Nov-05 11:48 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Jonesboro, US

I just ordered a battery grip that is actually supposed to have the vertical shutter.

I asked numerous questions about this, and was repeatedly told that it did, so we'll see... It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday, so I'll post a full report upon receipt. For now though, I won't disclose the name of the company, just in case they lied to me!

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Fri 04-Nov-05 11:54 PM
#5. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 4

That sounds intresting but i have looked and looked on the net for d50 grips with vertical shuter release with no luck. There are grips out there that fit the d70/70s with shuter release but these will not work with the d50. What make, model is it? any web site with pics

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Fri 04-Nov-05 11:58 PM
#6. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 5

I have the hahnel (made by jenis) grip on order. Thats probably due in next week.

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Sat 05-Nov-05 12:01 AM
#7. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 6

just another question. did they say haw the grip's shutter release works with the camera. the hoodman one for the D70 i belive needs a infa-red cable to make it work?

tgreene Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Sat 05-Nov-05 01:22 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 7

Jonesboro, US

It was advertised as being for the D50, and having a vertical shutter release. That's all I'm saying until I receive said item, at which time, I'll give a full report!

-Tim

tgreene Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Mon 07-Nov-05 09:10 PM
#9. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 8

Jonesboro, US

>It was advertised as being for the D50, and having a
>vertical shutter release. That's all I'm saying until I
>receive said item, at which time, I'll give a full report!
>
>-Tim

I was lied to!!!

Not only is it strictly a battery holder, it's made of cheap plastic that could very easily be cracked or broken. The manufacturer is Merkury, and I've demanaded a full refund to include return shipping!

free2_flickr Registered since 10th Nov 2005Thu 10-Nov-05 08:23 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 9

Hi I got a message from Hoodman regarding a products for the D50 (a protector and vertical battery grip)

Thank you for contacting Hoodman for information about a FlipUp Cap for the Nikon D50.

We will have a new FlipUp cap available for the Nikon D50 sometime after the middle of November. This new product will snap directly on to the back of the D50 and will provide screen protection as well as some glare reduction. The price for the H-D50 FlipUp will be $34.99 plus shipping and handling. Please check back on our website in the near future on the following page for updates:

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/flip_up.asp#Nikon

If you wish to place a pre-order for this item you may do so by calling us on the number shown below. Your credit card would not be charged until the item was ready to ship. The cap for the Nikon D70 does not fit the D50.

We expect to have a PowerGrip available for this camera sometime in December and it is scheduled to be priced at $139.99 plus shipping and handling. We will show it on the website when it gets closer to the delivery time. The PowerGrip for the Nikon D70 that we currently have in stock will not work on the Nikon D50. At this time I don't have any specifications on this grip but it will be on the website in the future. You can call us to place a pre-order for this item and you would not be charged until the item was ready to ship. We will place your inquiry into our file of customers to notify when this new grip is available.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please contact us again if you have additional questions about our products.

Sincerely,

Charlene Gordon
Hoodman Corp. Customer Service
20445 Gramercy Place, Ste. 201
Torrance, CA 90501
(800) 818-3946

MrWalker Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Thu 10-Nov-05 10:28 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 9

FI

Powergrip? Does this mean that it will be nothing more than a battery grip with no shutter control?

tgreene Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Thu 10-Nov-05 01:42 PM
#12. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 11

Jonesboro, US

yep

MrWalker Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Thu 10-Nov-05 02:50 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 12

FI

I really hope it'll have at least shutter control. Maybe they can take advantage of what seems to be connectors for a real battygrip hidden under that piece of plastic in the battery compartment.

free2_flickr Registered since 10th Nov 2005Thu 10-Nov-05 01:45 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 11

Not sure. But I think in the letter she states more will be revealed towards the final product release date in December. She said to keep checking the website.

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/

-free2_flickr

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 10-Nov-05 05:23 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 13

Regina, CA

SOMEONE PLS MAKE A VERTICAL SHUTTER GRIP THING FOR D50!!!

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Thu 10-Nov-05 09:35 PM
#16. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 13

Recived my Hanel grip this morning. No vertical grip (as expected)but even so it makes the camera more balanced, more comfortable and even though it does not have a second shuter release, taking portrait photo's is a lot more comfortable.

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Thu 10-Nov-05 09:39 PM
#17. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 16

sorry i meant to say no vertical shutter button on the grip

free2_flickr Registered since 10th Nov 2005Mon 14-Nov-05 09:43 PM
#18. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 17

I asked the Hoodman rep if there will be a vertical shutter release for their battery grip release in December. She said...

The PowerGrip for the Nikon D50 will have a vertical shutter release on the grip.

Sincerely,

Charlene Gordon
Hoodman Corp. Customer Service
charlene@hoodmanusa.com
800-818-3946

I probably would wait for this release to purchase it. I think the d70 version is $180. So expect the D50 version to be around the same price.

(d70 version)
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/powergrip.asp

-free2_flickr

cameraguy21773 Registered since 08th Sep 2004Thu 17-Nov-05 08:42 PM
719 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Battery Grip for D50"
In response to Reply # 3

Germantown, US

The tripod mount is in a different location because the D50 is a bit smaller that the D70/D70s. My daughter and I tried one of my grips on her D50 - no joy.

regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, MD

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #59 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.