Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #586
View in linear mode

Subject: "D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...." Previous topic | Next topic
bernie76 Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."

San Diego, US

I have just uploaded some nice images with the D-50 and the Hoya R72 IR filter, that I took this week. Please take a look at my gallery:

http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=73800

I love this technique. Give it a try!

Scott

Scott

Some people are like slinky toys, not
really good for anything, but still bring
a smile to your face when you push
them down a flight of stairs....

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited....
mfa
22nd Nov 2005
Aphex
22nd Nov 2005
albano
22nd Nov 2005
bernie76
22nd Nov 2005
mfa
23rd Nov 2005
mfa
23rd Nov 2005
Aphex
22nd Nov 2005
bernie76
22nd Nov 2005
bernie76
22nd Nov 2005
MINGZNIKONIAN
23rd Nov 2005
Aleks
23rd Nov 2005
bernie76
23rd Nov 2005

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Tue 22-Nov-05 01:49 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 0

Pelennor Fields, US

Very nice. I ordered an IR filter this weekend, so this makes me look forward in anticipation even more.

I noticed only 2 of the shots had aperature and shutter speed listed. Were these done on auto and the others done manually?

Did you do the WB thing from the other thread?

Could you see the results on the camera's LCD?

Did you do any processing on these images before uploading them?

Thanks!

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Tue 22-Nov-05 02:40 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 0

NL

Being inspired by your photo's, I have also bought the Hoya IR filter. Until now, I didn't thought it would work that good with a DSLR because of the IR filter on the CCD. At 67 mm, it was a bit expensive, but I am sure it is worth it. I'm looking forward to try it out.

albano Registered since 12th Nov 2005Tue 22-Nov-05 03:06 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 2

Buenos Aires, AR

This specific filter is not available here. Any dark red one will do? there's a generic way to call them?
Thanks

Albano García
Design & Photography
www.albanogarcia.com.ar
www.flaneur.com.ar

Albano García
Design & Photography
www.albanogarcia.com.ar
www.flaneur.com.ar
www.ciclopefoto.blogspot.com

bernie76 Basic MemberTue 22-Nov-05 05:36 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 3

San Diego, US

Albano,
The filter is just called an infrared, or IR filter. There are several manifacturers. The Heliopan 715nm/ Wratten 89b, 87 and 87c/ B+W 093, 092 are similiar, but more expensive filters. I have no experience with these, you might search the internet for more info.

mfa,

I didn't have much luck with trying to preset the WB. I just went with auto, mainly because I was also taking regular pics at the same time, and i'm too lazy to switch back and forth. Sorry I didn't enter all the picture data in my gallery, creating a gallery is a little tedious, and it was late and I'm lazy.
You have to play around with th exposure, but most of these were taken between f3.5 and f7, with shutter speeds about 1/10 - 1/30. You need to shoot in bright sun, low light doesn't work so well.
You will see the photo on the LCD, it just has a red cast. You can see it well enough to see if it is under or over exposed.
I bring these into photoshot and process them in two slightly diffent ways. first: auto levels, then desatuate, or secondly, desaturate then auto levels. These two methods give different results, not better or worse, just different. Use which ever gives the result you like best.

The biggest hassle is you have to have the filter off the camera to frame and focus, then put the filter on to shoot. (you can't see through the filter) So you are constantly taking it off and on, increasing your probablity of dropping it.

cheers,

Scott

Scott

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Wed 23-Nov-05 04:06 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 4

Pelennor Fields, US

>You will see the photo on the LCD, it just has a red cast.
>You can see it well enough to see if it is under or over
>exposed.
>The biggest hassle is you have to have the filter off the
>camera to frame and focus, then put the filter on to shoot.
>(you can't see through the filter) So you are constantly
>taking it off and on, increasing your probablity of dropping
>it.

For doing landscape shots like you were doing, it seems like you could set the focus on manual & infinity and then shoot, evaluate LCD, reframe, reshoot until you like the shot composition. Deleting bad shots later sounds easier & safer than taking the filter on/off. Thought?

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Wed 23-Nov-05 04:18 PM
#12. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 4

Pelennor Fields, US

>Albano,
>The filter is just called an infrared, or IR filter. There
>are several manifacturers. The Heliopan 715nm/ Wratten 89b,
>87 and 87c/ B+W 093, 092 are similiar, but more expensive
>filters. ...

The filter you used (Hoya RM72) only passes light with a wavelength of 720 nano-meters or longer. (Longer being further down into infared and further away from the visible spectrum.) They also make an RM90 which passes 900 nm and longer, that is, deeper into infrared.

The designations you are quoting as equivalent might be related to wavelength. Without actually trying an 870 or 900 nm filter on the D50, I'd be hesitant to say the results would be as good.

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Tue 22-Nov-05 05:39 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 3

NL

Wratten 89B is another name for the 720nm IR-filter. Hoya calls it R72. B+W also has one I believe.

Dark red is also suitable, but it has a more subtle effect.

bernie76 Basic MemberTue 22-Nov-05 06:04 PM
#6. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 5

San Diego, US

Albano,

I purchased my filter off ebay. The seller I purchased from is a regular dealer, and indicates in his ads that he ships worldwide. We aren't suppose to link to ebay auctions here, but if you do a search on ebay for Hoya Infrared IR R72 Filter, you will find it. Mostly this dealer just sells filters.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott

bernie76 Basic MemberTue 22-Nov-05 11:19 PM
#7. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

At first looking at the pics on my computer screen, I was a little dissapointed in my IR shots, in that they seemed a little too soft. Well I just got some printed, and I was shocked but pleased at the result. They come out very sharp and clear. IR photos make beautiful prints. And I had them printed at Costco!

I love technology.....

Scott

Scott

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 23-Nov-05 01:24 AM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 7

Regina, CA

Awesome pic!

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 23-Nov-05 02:44 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 8

Calgary, CA

How come they don't turn out blueish green like some others I've seen, almost negative like? These almost look black/white but reversed....

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

bernie76 Basic MemberWed 23-Nov-05 04:10 PM
#11. "RE: D-50 and Infrared photos, revisited...."
In response to Reply # 9

San Diego, US

Aleks,

It all depends on the post processing in photoshop, or other software. There is no right or wrong way to do this.
Right out of the camera IR photos have a red cast, which isn't too appealing. So you start playing in the software and add any color hue you like. With these old buildings in Balboa park, I just felt a black and white look worked best.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #586 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.