Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #5707
View in linear mode

Subject: "4GB SD Memory Card" Previous topic | Next topic
Ardyr Registered since 26th Mar 2006Tue 04-Apr-06 01:34 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"4GB SD Memory Card"

Frisco, US

HELP!!!
I just bought an A-Data 4GB Turbo SD card for my D50. When I put it in the camera it says that it is not Formatted, so I opt to format the card but it doesn't appear to ever actually do anything. I can format the 1GB SD cards in the D50 with no problem, and the 4GB card is good because I can use it all day in my card reader.

Any ideas?

- Ardyr
Nikon D80
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 ED AF-S VR Zoom
Nikkor DX 18-105mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AF-S VR Zoom
Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Zoom
Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DiII Zoom
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 4GB SD Memory Card
edmun
04th Apr 2006
K1W1
04th Apr 2006
edmun
04th Apr 2006
K1W1
04th Apr 2006
Ardyr
04th Apr 2006
ashman
05th Apr 2006
Sandozer
04th Apr 2006
Ardyr
04th Apr 2006
Sandozer
05th Apr 2006
K1W1
05th Apr 2006
Sandozer
05th Apr 2006
K1W1
05th Apr 2006
4yanx Silver Member
05th Apr 2006
Sandozer
05th Apr 2006
Ardyr
06th Apr 2006
Sandozer
06th Apr 2006
flhtcui
06th Apr 2006
Sandozer
06th Apr 2006
britkev
07th Apr 2006
Sandozer
07th Apr 2006
kschultz76
07th Apr 2006
K1W1
07th Apr 2006
warner3020
07th Apr 2006
D50Vette
10th Apr 2006
MasterDabber Silver Member
10th Apr 2006
warner3020
11th Apr 2006
Ardyr
14th Apr 2006
edmun
15th Apr 2006

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 04-Apr-06 01:48 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

Call Nikon at their 24 hour line -- 1 800 645 6689.

We are trying on this forum to figure out if the D50 will work with a SD card bigger than 2 gigs.

#1 It will but will need a firmware up-grade
#2 It will as is
#3 It never will
#4 There is some trick and it will
#5 It will use the card as a 2 gig card
#6 split it in 2 as 2 2 gig cards.

Right now the camera is using Fat 16 and will only work to 2 gigs (I think I have got this right)

It needs to work in fat 32 which the D70 at first did not and now does after the firmware upgrade. So we are thinking that there will be a user firmware upgrade in the future

ledmun

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Tue 04-Apr-06 07:17 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

4GB WILL NOT work. Take it back if you can and get 2 x 2GB cards.
The FAT16 file format that the D50 uses will only support partitions up to 2GB.

As I understand it 4GB SD cards are never likely to work in current devices. The SD format was only ever designed with a 1 GB capacity in mind, this has been able to be stretched to 2GB.
Cards over 2GB will actually be new SDHC format not SD format so not only would there be a firmware but also a hardware change required.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 04-Apr-06 07:58 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

Called Nikon at 1-800-645-6689 and the tech said they have only checked cards up to 1 gig.

ledmun

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Tue 04-Apr-06 08:26 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 3

Melbourne, AU

>Called Nikon at 1-800-645-6689 and the tech said they have
>only checked cards up to 1 gig.

It's their standard reply and I doubt it will ever change. You could have saved yourself the cost of the call by looking down a couple of threads, there is always somebody else who has made the same call and got the same answer in the recent past.

Ardyr Registered since 26th Mar 2006Tue 04-Apr-06 01:05 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 2

Frisco, US

Thanks K1W1. Based on the response from Nikon's 800#, I get the impression that even the 2GB SD cards will not work with the D50.
<p>Do you know of anyone successfully using a 2GB SD in the D50? If I'm going to return the 4GB, I would like to get it right this time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

- Ardyr
Nikon D80
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

ashman Registered since 07th Mar 2006Wed 05-Apr-06 01:12 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

>Thanks K1W1. Based on the response from Nikon's 800#, I get
>the impression that even the 2GB SD cards will not work with
>the D50.
><p>Do you know of anyone successfully using a 2GB SD in the
>D50? If I'm going to return the 4GB, I would like to get it
>right this time. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have a D50 and I 2GB Sandisk Extreme card and that works fine, I am able to fill that card with almost.

Hey my fist post :>

Sandozer Registered since 06th Mar 2006Tue 04-Apr-06 05:05 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 0

Dunfermline, GB

4GB SD memory card

I am currently using a 4MB card and find it to be perfect. It gives 532 frames in raw, which is cool. It is also very fast (22.5MBS read, 15MBS Write). Not that speed is an issue to me.....

It would appear that the problem using this card is the formatting. Putting it very simplistically, NEVER EVER FORMAT IN THE D50!!! The D50 does not format to FAT32 so will limit the card to 2GB, if it formats at all.

The SD card I bought, (Topram) came pre-formatted, if it ever requires re-formatting and it shouldn`t. I would format using the PC and an SD card Reader/Writer (to FAT32).

Illigitimus non carborundum

Ian

Ardyr Registered since 26th Mar 2006Tue 04-Apr-06 10:37 PM
#7. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 6

Frisco, US

Thanks Sandozer. Your message says 4MB, but I assume you mean 4GB, correct? When my D50 wouldn't/didn't format the card, I did as you suggest, and formatted it using a card reader and my PC. It formatted fine, and I was able to move files on/off of the card with no problem. When I put the formatted card back into the D50, I got the same message "Card Not Formatted. Do You Want To Format It?"

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

- Ardyr
Nikon D80
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

Sandozer Registered since 06th Mar 2006Wed 05-Apr-06 05:06 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 7

Dunfermline, GB

Apologise on the typo... 4GB of course..

Regarding your formatting problem, have you tried formatting any other card and trying it?? It doesnt matter even if its a 128MB card, as long as you can prove that the format is correct and acceptable to the camera. (properties in Windows must show FAT32 regardless of how you do it to be acceptable). Let me know what you get.....

Sandozer

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Wed 05-Apr-06 05:28 AM
#10. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 6

Melbourne, AU

>4GB SD memory card
>
>I am currently using a 4MB card and find it to be perfect.
>It gives 532 frames in raw, which is cool. It is also very
>fast (22.5MBS read, 15MBS Write). Not that speed is an issue
>to me.....
>
>It would appear that the problem using this card is the
>formatting. Putting it very simplistically, NEVER EVER
>FORMAT IN THE D50!!! The D50 does not format to FAT32 so
>will limit the card to 2GB, if it formats at all.
>
>The SD card I bought, (Topram) came pre-formatted, if it
>ever requires re-formatting and it shouldn`t. I would format
>using the PC and an SD card Reader/Writer (to FAT32).
>
>Illigitimus non carborundum
>
>Ian
>

I'm sorry to have to say this but I believe that this is either a troll post or somebodies idea of a joke or a total misunderstanding of the original question. It is very interesting that the Poster does not say that he uses his card in a D50.
Anybody who knows anything about computer hardware will be able to tell you that it is not possible to format a FAT16 partition any larger than 2GB (whether it be on a PC or any device) and if the partition was formatted on a PC under FAT32 or NTFS then the D50 which only supports FAT16 would NOT BE ABLE TO RECOGNISE the card.
My advice is is disregard the above post and to suggest in the absence of a rebuttal from the poster that the Sys Admins of this site might look at removing it.

Sandozer Registered since 06th Mar 2006Wed 05-Apr-06 05:39 AM
#11. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 10

Dunfermline, GB

Sorry, I am no troller.

I use a 4GB SD card in my D50, as I said previously it works OK...

It is a TOPRAM 4GB card and came pre-formatted I live in Scotland and bought it in the USA. (on where else but E-bay.!!)

The D50 can read and write to a FAT32 formatted card, try it on any card, say a 256MB if you doubt me.

I also have used a 2GB and 1GB card, both formatted to FAT32 and had been in my PDA.

DONT FORMAT in the CAMERA...!!!

I do hope this is of use to you guys...and we do speak the same language here too..

Sandozer

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Wed 05-Apr-06 07:41 AM
#12. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 11

Melbourne, AU

I appologise for any bad feelings about my previous post but your experience is unique to any other D50 user on any forum that I have ever seen.

I have now tried your suggestion with a 1GB card (Formatted as FAT32 under under Windows XP) and the camera certainly recognises the card (135 RAM images) and seems to write the 6 images that I have taken okay.
I guess this must be some unsupported feature that Nikon have installed and just not told anybody about.
I've gone back to the in camera format however just because I am confident that it works and it's only a 1 GB card anyway. I would suggest to anybody who wants to try this just to be careful until it is established that it is reliable.
If this method does prove to be reliable this is good news for people who want to take more than 300 RAW (2GB)images without having to change cards.

4yanx Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2006Wed 05-Apr-06 02:16 PM
415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

I don't think the guy is a troll because what he says kinda worked for me, too. I think the key is where the card is formatted but, still, I would NOT recommend using a 4Gb in nay event, especially if the shooting is crucial. I had a 4Gb that would work if formatted in the card reader via the PC> It would NOT work at all formatted via the camera. However, I had trouble with corrupt files and missed shots, etc. so I quit using it altogether and use multiple 2Gb cards, instaed. I have a two different Sandisks, a Kingston, and a Lexar and they all work perfectly. These cards are just too small quick, easy, and now cheap not to carry a few and change them out if they fill.

Sandozer Registered since 06th Mar 2006Wed 05-Apr-06 04:56 PM
#14. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 0

Dunfermline, GB

Can I address this message to Adrdyr, who actually has a problem with his 4GB SD card.

Ardyr, I removed my card from the camera and formatted it for my first time. To put me in your situation exactly. Selecting the FAT32 option it takes about 10 seconds in the PC.

Inserting in the camera it immediately shows 532 available frames in RAW. Just try this as I have explained.

Inserting the formatted card for the first time also writes the DCIM folder and your first shot writes the NCD50 folder. Formatting in the D50 is no way a requirement.

I was thinking you may have corrupted the card by writing a format FAT16 to it. This is potentially recoverable, if this is the case let me know. (there are ways, and ways....)

One last thing, removing or inserting your card is when it is at most risk from damage via static. Never touch the conductors on the card if you can avoid it.

For you Trollers out there, unless Nikon have dispensed with all convention, your D50 should be good for addressing 8.4Gbytes....but then again whoever would need that much memory....

Ian

Ardyr Registered since 26th Mar 2006Thu 06-Apr-06 01:36 PM
#15. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 14

Frisco, US

Thanks again Sandozer. I'm afraid you may be right about having corrupted the card bu formatting it in the camera. I have now formatted the card using a Lexar USB Card Reader and my PC. When I formatted it, there were two format options (FAT & FAT32), and I opted for FAT 32.

The problem is, that regardless of the format option, Windows XP only sees the card as 1GB (999,682,048 bytes). The card works fine in my D50, but only shows capacity for 133 RAW images. I thought that there could be a problem reading the higher capacity, and tried to write 3GB to it from my PC. No luck, 1GB is all it will hold.

You indicated that there may be "ways" to format the card to regain the 4GB capacity. Would you mind sharing your ideas? I'm leaving town later today and really could use the capacity.

- Ardyr
Nikon D80
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

Sandozer Registered since 06th Mar 2006Thu 06-Apr-06 03:29 PM
#16. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 15

Dunfermline, GB

The option that may work, at least it`s worth a blast......

More than one manufacturer include a 4GB fix utility exactly for repairing and re allocating the memory blocks on this type of card. In fact some also do a 2GB utility. I dont know if your manufacturer does, but you can try and look on their website. I know Transcend do one, and its available on their site. Considering the price of a 1Gb card I would say its worth trying. ( for 532 frames in raw....on the 4GB)

As you will have seen from my previous post, I re-formatted my 4GB card to replicate your scenario and it works fine in the camera.

Anyway, good luck.!!! Let me know how it goes..

Sandozer

flhtcui Registered since 09th Mar 2006Thu 06-Apr-06 06:34 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 16

douglasville, US

I'm not a computer guru but have a question. Wasn't one of the benefits of useing FAT 32 and NTFS that there were smaller blocks that each program was stored in? Saying that with smaller blocks if one had 1 meg blocks and other had 1/2 meg blocks, and you had a small program that only needed 1/2 meg it would take up 1 meg with FAT 16 and only 1/2 meg with FAT 32. If that is correct, wouldn't you be able to fit more frames on a FAT 32 programed card if it was over 2 gigs or not? Has anyone tried formatting a card with NTFS?

Sandozer Registered since 06th Mar 2006Thu 06-Apr-06 09:46 PM
#18. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 17

Dunfermline, GB

Slow... Fat32 and NTFS are not in the same decade.... Dude..

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Fri 07-Apr-06 06:43 AM
305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 18

Philadelphia, US

>Slow... Fat32 and NTFS are not in the same decade.... Dude..

Huh?

Actually both first appeared in the nineties.

NTFS, despite being the older of the two, is the filesystem of choice for MS server and workstation OS's

Sandozer Registered since 06th Mar 2006Fri 07-Apr-06 10:01 AM
#22. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 18

Dunfermline, GB

"Message #18"

" Slow... Fat32 and NTFS are not in the same decade.... Dude.. "

Dont know who posted this message in my name or how....It certainly wasn`t me...!!!

Sandozer

kschultz76 Registered since 09th Dec 2005Fri 07-Apr-06 05:38 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 17

Burlington County, US

> I'm not a computer guru but have a question. Wasn't one of
>the benefits of useing FAT 32 and NTFS that there were
>smaller blocks that each program was stored in? Saying that
>with smaller blocks if one had 1 meg blocks and other had
>1/2 meg blocks, and you had a small program that only needed
>1/2 meg it would take up 1 meg with FAT 16 and only 1/2 meg
>with FAT 32. If that is correct, wouldn't you be able to fit
>more frames on a FAT 32 programed card if it was over 2 gigs
>or not? Has anyone tried formatting a card with NTFS?

The file allocation type used cannot increase disk space or capacity. A 2gb drive/card formatted for FAT16 will hold the same amount of data as if it were formatted for FAT32 or NTFS. However because of limitations in the FAT16 system, and the way the file allocation tables are written and the number of bits used in the naming convetions a FAT16 system can't write partitions larger then 2gb.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Fri 07-Apr-06 07:47 AM
#21. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 15

Melbourne, AU

>The problem is, that regardless of the format option,
>Windows XP only sees the card as 1GB (999,682,048 bytes).
>The card works fine in my D50, but only shows capacity for
>133 RAW images. I thought that there could be a problem
>reading the higher capacity, and tried to write 3GB to it
>from my PC. No luck, 1GB is all it will hold.

Sounds to me like the card may have only had a 1GB partition created on it when it was first formatted. You could try using Disc Management (Control Panel / administrative tools / Computer management) to delete the partition and then create a new one. I've never tried this with an SD card but there should be no reason in theory why it wouldn't work.
Warning: If you are not sure what you are doing be very careful and double check everything before you click. The last thing you want to do is delete the partition on your C drive by mistake.

warner3020 Registered since 07th Apr 2006Fri 07-Apr-06 03:03 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 0

Broken Arrow, US

Another thing to consider is the card reader/writer - the 4GB cards are fairly new and the older reader/writers will not support the largers cards. It may be that your reader can only format to 1GB.

D50Vette Registered since 08th Dec 2005Mon 10-Apr-06 03:30 PM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 19

Highland, US

Something else that was not mentioned here..."putting all your eggs into one basket."

If something happens during all these "processes' to get the 4GB card to work...and the card takes a dump with 500 pics on it...well your out 500 pics.

Why not use several smaller cards(that we all know already work), and if one dumps, your not out EVERY picture you took that day.

Just food for thought to the guys who have to have the big cards.
It takes very little effort to insert a new card.

Just my .02

I'm into cars too...see my ride, and friend's rides at my site... www.n2ovette.com

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Mon 10-Apr-06 04:03 PM
3270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 24

Camberley, GB

I've got to agree with D50Vette. I don't think I'll go larger than 1Gb for that very reason. Let's face it, changing a card every 130 or so shots is hardly a hardship.. not like a film every 24/36 and a bit fiddly at that.

Derek
My Gallery

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

warner3020 Registered since 07th Apr 2006Tue 11-Apr-06 01:36 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 0

Broken Arrow, US

I to agree with using the smaller cards but that said if I had aready spent good money on a 4GB card i would want to get some use from it.

I would find a reader that is known to support the 4GB cards and not completly fill the card (or rely on it) until i had built some confidence in the reliability of it to store and transfer good data.

Page no:12 (D50 manual). Performance may dropif cards ar formated in a computer.

Ardyr Registered since 26th Mar 2006Fri 14-Apr-06 09:23 PM
#27. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 26

Frisco, US

Thanks for all of your very useful insight. As several of you suggested, the formatting problem appears to have been card reader related. Ended up trying four different readers before finding one (Lexar 12-in-1 USB 2.0) that recognized the card as 4GB. I would have never guessed that the reader would have that type of limitation.

The Lexar saw the card as 4GB, and allowed me to reformat(FAT 32)the card with no problem. The D50 appears to be okay with it...but only time will tell. I've ran a few tests (and plan to do more) transferring files to and from the card via the D50's USB connection. So far everything appears okay, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. I've tested the cards capacity but, from warner3020's post, suppose I might also try to test read/write speed

I have a few SanDisk 1GB cards that I will always carry for back up and extra capacity, but am certainly happy to be able to utilize the entire 4GB card again.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and ideas. I would have never gotten to this point without this Forum.

- Ardyr
Nikon D80
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 15-Apr-06 02:01 AM
#28. "RE: 4GB SD Memory Card"
In response to Reply # 27

eugene, US

Card readers have been behind the main problem with a number of posts. Who would expect a card reader.

Strangely it seems to almost always be a Lexar card reader. The first time I ran across the problem was on a Mac with brand new cards and card readers. (The readers worked on pc's)

Glad it worked out for you. You have now passed the first test on getting your guru licence.

Only nine million more problems.

ledmun

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #5707 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.