Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #569
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not for D" Previous topic | Next topic
bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 20-Nov-05 05:19 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not for D"

Chandler, US

Folks,

I read one or two post every week on which SD card to use. I my self was confuse until now. I finally decided to buy San Disk Ultra II card (1gb) plus USB. I compare buffer of camera and speed and found that both card are same! Yes......they both show same buffer ( I guess this # are from camera) but no real difference in speed. Is it worth spending extra $100? Does anyone really see or feel and difference? Can I test otherway or is there any setting on camera?

Below is chart FYI.

Mode SD512MB 1GB Ultra II
raw+basic 4 4
raw 4 4
Fine-L 9 9
Norm+L 12 12
Basic+L 19 19
Fine+M 10 10
Norm+M 16 16
Basic+M 27 27
Fine+S 19 19
Norm+S 27 27
Basic+S 49 49

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f
Aleks
20th Nov 2005
edmun
20th Nov 2005
wgs
20th Nov 2005
paizhao
22nd Nov 2005
Drewhound
20th Nov 2005
bhola
21st Nov 2005
Shred
21st Nov 2005
edmun
21st Nov 2005
Drewhound
21st Nov 2005
bhola
22nd Nov 2005
Reply message Photos remaining counter
K1W1
22nd Nov 2005
Reply message RE: Photos remaining counter
edmun
22nd Nov 2005
bhola
22nd Nov 2005
bhola
22nd Nov 2005
Drewhound
22nd Nov 2005

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 20-Nov-05 08:14 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

It makes a difference in a high speed card reader....

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sun 20-Nov-05 02:53 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Try the following test.

Manual exposure, manual focus, continous, raw or raw plus jpeg, hold shutter down for 30 seconds.

On the D70 the cards will vary from 15 frames to 35 frames depending on the speed of the card.

On the D100 it will vary from 9 to 10 frames.

I have never done it on D50 (Actually never seen one) so it should be quite interesting.

ledmun

wgs Registered since 01st Nov 2005Sun 20-Nov-05 03:20 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f"
In response to Reply # 2

The speed of the card will definitely make a difference if you shoot raw and continuous. You won't gain any more space in the buffer, but how quickly the buffer flushes to the card is determined by card speed. I too have the Sandisk Ultra II + USB and have seen a tremendous increase in flush speed. When I shot raw on a standard Kingston card, it took more than 1 second for each image to write to the card. I could shoot 3 quickly, but would have to wait more than a second to shoot the 4th. The bottom line in card speed is whether or not you shoot raw, and how often you intend to fire the shutter.
-Bill

paizhao Basic MemberTue 22-Nov-05 04:45 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

I can confirm what Bill is saying. My wife and I had first hand experience on our vacation. I have the Ultra II and the regular Sandisk. The Ultra ran out of space so I switched to the other one, forgetting that we were shooting RAW. Whenever we filled the buffer, it felt like a few seconds before we could take another shot. Normally this would not be a big problem but we were on a scenic Alaska train ride so you don't have much time to get the shots while it's moving.

--
Ed
http://paizhao.everythingec.com

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sun 20-Nov-05 11:53 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Ledmun, I've just tested my D50 with your settings on two cards, one a Kingston Elite Pro, 66x speed, and an old Viking 10x card

Fast card figures first

RAW 27 15

RAW + jpg 24 14 (on the D50 the jpg is a small basic file only)

Best JPG 78 55

It would be interesting if someone does the test with a 133x card to see if it's any faster than the 66x. I don't think it will be because the 78 shots in 30 seconds is slightly faster than the rated 2.5 fps so it looks as though the camera is limiting the speed.

bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 21-Nov-05 03:27 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f"
In response to Reply # 4

Chandler, US

Hi all- Thanks for replys.

Ledmun, I have also tested as you suggested.

Camera on Manual, Manual focus and shotting Raw + Basic. I have Sandisk miniSD card and Ultra II SD card.

Believe or not, both results shows same numbers. I was able to capture 17 pictures on both card. One interesting thing is when I format my 1GB card and it show's 119 total image left. After I took 17 shot it was showing 107 left instead of 112. Does this camera use some of the card space for something else? I also noticed that for Raw+basic I can only take 119, (5.2MB for Raw and .8 MB for Basic + 6.0 MB) This means I can at least take 150 image instead it only show 119. Does any one see this or my math is incorrect?-B

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Mon 21-Nov-05 06:09 AM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f"
In response to Reply # 5

FI

Picture file size varies depending on how "complex" image is being taken,
shot in perfect dark or overexposed bright white are easily compressed to small space,
when very colorful high dynamic and noisy picture that take lots of space.
So the Nikon cameras calculate remaining picture count by "worst case scenario"
and thus you can take more shots that the camera initially informed.

It is possible that the D50 can't take advantage of fastest SD cards
but we can demand that Nikon releases a firmware that enchances writing speed.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 21-Nov-05 09:37 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f"
In response to Reply # 6

eugene, US

I am not surprised about the two different marked cards being the same.

I have tested a lot of cards and it is almost luck as to what speed they really are.

Fast CF cards in the D70 will do 27 to 35 while a slow card will do 15 to 17.

ledmun

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Mon 21-Nov-05 01:07 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f"
In response to Reply # 7

I had read, and somebody else has posted the same in another thread here, that the camera only goes up to 40x speed so that may explain why there's a limit to the card speed. Certainly I won't bother to buy one of the fastest ones now.

Bhola, I notice your RAW + JPG speeds are slower than my 66x card, I wonder why that is? (I should have thought your Ultra II card was a fast one) Your maths is fine, even the RAW files are compressed so they will vary. The card does seem to hold some information, it's best to format the card rather than delete the files and that clears it. It's also much quicker.

bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 22-Nov-05 01:37 AM
#9. "RE: Does it matter SD V/S Ultra SD?........may be not f"
In response to Reply # 8

Chandler, US

>I had read, and somebody else has posted the same in another
>thread here, that the camera only goes up to 40x speed so
>that may explain why there's a limit to the card speed.
>Certainly I won't bother to buy one of the fastest ones now.
>
>Bhola, I notice your RAW + JPG speeds are slower than my 66x
>card, I wonder why that is? (I should have thought your
>Ultra II card was a fast one) Your maths is fine, even the
>RAW files are compressed so they will vary. The card does
>seem to hold some information, it's best to format the card
>rather than delete the files and that clears it. It's also
>much quicker.

I always format card after copy. The point is, I took about 500 pictures and none of the files are bigger then 6 MB. This means in one GiG SD i should be able to take 150 pictures (assuming 900MB usable space). I guess number may be incorrect. Next time I will watch # of pictures when card is full. I may also write Nikon and see what they have to say.

Let's hope Nikon is reading this and release new firmware to overwrite 40x speed limitation.-B

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Tue 22-Nov-05 11:26 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "Photos remaining counter"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

I think that the photos remaining counter on the D50 has a problem (in RAW at least). On my D50 with 1 GB card the counter always shows 135 images remaining when the card is blank. I have seen similar numbers from other users.
My RAW images average 5.5 MB which means the total that fit on the card should be around 180 (probably a couple less allowing for formatting overheads).
Here is the catch.
When I take around 100 shots the counter always says somewhere near 70 shots remaining. This ties in with the math ( (5.5 x 100)+ (5.5 x 70) = 935 MB)
I hope Nikon fix this in the inevitable firmware upgrade.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 22-Nov-05 01:35 PM
#11. "RE: Photos remaining counter"
In response to Reply # 10

eugene, US

We had this problem on the D70 and we actually got to like the counter being wrong. Then they changed it and it took a while to get used to the new numbers.

Think of it as having extra hidden memory.

180 is about what you get on a 1 gig card on a d70 in raw plus jpeg but the counter show 158 possible the old firmware showed 87 as I remember it.

PS you are going to get vary tired of this question being posted.

ledmun

bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 22-Nov-05 06:47 PM
#13. "RE: Photos remaining counter"
In response to Reply # 10

Chandler, US

>I think that the photos remaining counter on the D50 has a
>problem (in RAW at least). On my D50 with 1 GB card the
>counter always shows 135 images remaining when the card is
>blank. I have seen similar numbers from other users.
>My RAW images average 5.5 MB which means the total that fit
>on the card should be around 180 (probably a couple less
>allowing for formatting overheads).
>Here is the catch.
>When I take around 100 shots the counter always says
>somewhere near 70 shots remaining. This ties in with the
>math ( (5.5 x 100)+ (5.5 x 70) = 935 MB)
>I hope Nikon fix this in the inevitable firmware upgrade.

My 1 GB shows only 119 pictures when card is blank with Ram + Basic. Once I take 50 picture it shows 89 instead of 69.-B

bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 22-Nov-05 06:58 PM
#14. "RE: Photos remaining counter"
In response to Reply # 13

Chandler, US

I got reply from Nikon- Per them they do not differenciate for various spees. So all they send me is link to article for CF which is true for SD card as well.-B

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Tue 22-Nov-05 06:58 PM
#15. "RE: Photos remaining counter"
In response to Reply # 13

My card shows 137 Raw and today after taking 102 photos is showed 60 left. That also ties in with what Ledmun has said (also 121 on RAW and JPG)

I'm quite happy it's that way around

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #569 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.