Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #560
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?" Previous topic | Next topic
Robin714 Registered since 12th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 09:41 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?"

US

Okay, I'm convinced...I'm going to by a value pack for the D50 from buy dig...but before I do I wanted to know if anyone that has bought from them has taken the extended warranty and/or have they used it with no trouble. Also, does Nikon offer their own warranty through them.
Thanks
Robin

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?
K1W1
19th Nov 2005
Robin714
19th Nov 2005
K1W1
21st Nov 2005
Robin714
21st Nov 2005
bernie76
20th Nov 2005
henlin
21st Nov 2005
jonmilley
21st Nov 2005
DaC
21st Nov 2005

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 10:09 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

I'm not a fan of extended warranties for anything. Over many years I've found that if it's going to break it will do so fairly soon after purchase (during the factory warranty). If I had put the money for extended warranties into the bank and only used it for out of warranty repairs I would have a rather healthy bank balance.
Of course other peoples experiences may vary.

Robin714 Registered since 12th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 11:00 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The reason I'm taking it is because I bought a Kodak P & s 2 years ago and paid 400.00 for it and didnt take the warranty for it and it broke in 13months...right out of warranty. Now the camera shop wants 150.00 to fix it but I was already set to go to an SLR anyway so now I figure with paying this much money for it. I'm going to get the extdended warranty with it. I just don't want one that I pay for and they really don't do anything to fix it or I have problems with it.
Thanks again
Robin

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Mon 21-Nov-05 11:49 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?"
In response to Reply # 2

Melbourne, AU

>The reason I'm taking it is because I bought a Kodak P & s 2
>years ago and paid 400.00 for it and didnt take the warranty
>for it and it broke in 13months...right out of warranty. Now
>the camera shop wants 150.00 to fix it but I was already set
>to go to an SLR anyway
>Robin

Just think. If you had paid for the warranty you would have had less money in the bank to buy the DSLR that you say you were going to buy regardless.
Just out of interest I'm lost on the time frame. Are you saying your Kodak camera has been broken for 9 months? That's a lot of lost photo opportunities.

Robin714 Registered since 12th Nov 2005Mon 21-Nov-05 12:06 PM
#5. "RE: Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I've been using a disposable all summer. I hated and yes, I did lose alot of good photo opportunities.
Robin

bernie76 Basic MemberSun 20-Nov-05 12:39 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

Here's my take on extended warranties.
I'm 52 years old and I have a family of 4. Over my adult life I have purchased TV's, stereos, washer and dryers, refrigerators, computers, printers, scanners, cameras, coffee makers, microwave ovens, CD players, ipods, cell phones, etc. etc.
If I had purchased every extented warranty that has been offered to me in my life, I would have paid thousands of dollars.
Yes I've certainly had to have things repaired over the years, but I have spent no where near the money on repairs that I would have spent on warranties.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it....

Scott

Scott

Some people are like slinky toys, not
really good for anything, but still bring
a smile to your face when you push
them down a flight of stairs....

henlin Basic MemberMon 21-Nov-05 08:00 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I'm also generally not a fan of extended warranties, but what if you bought a D2x/D2Hs or a D200? Would you purchase an extended warrany since they cost lots more than the D50/D70s?

-Henry

-Henry

jonmilley Registered since 17th Nov 2005Mon 21-Nov-05 08:26 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?"
In response to Reply # 6

St. John's, CA

My experience with extended warranties is that there is always some excuse for them to not honour it. Either claim that it's your fault and they don't cover accidents/whatever, or that the warranty never covered that particular situation anyway.

Stores make something like 80% profit on offering those warranties (why do you think they do it? because they like you?) I remember reading somewhere that big box stores like best buy greater than 50% of their over all profit comes from things like extended warranties.

Something to think about. if you pay $150 for an extended warranty now and in 2 years that company is out of business, or refuses you service you are so out of luck.

Also you've let them make money with your money for 2 years, even if they do offer you service.

Manufacturers offer warranties because they want you to have a good experience and keep buying their products (and the average cost of repairing cameras is built into their purchase price) stores offer warranties because they make a tonne of money, and most people never claim (either they have replaced the device before the warranty kicks in, or forgot they even bought the extended warranty, or lost the original receipt, etc.)

My 2.5 cents

--
Jon Milley
http://jonmilley.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DaC Registered since 13th Nov 2005Mon 21-Nov-05 10:06 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Is extended warrarty from buydig any good?"
In response to Reply # 0

Here is a great piece of info you may or may not know about: Some credit cards offer extended warranties on products like digital cameras.

I have a Mastercard (Citi Platinum Dividend for Students). It extends warranties that are one year or less and doubles it. So you might not have to spend money on that extended warranty after all

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #560 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.