Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #545
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 autofocus override possible?" Previous topic | Next topic
albano Registered since 12th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 01:34 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 autofocus override possible?"

Buenos Aires, AR

Hi,
When my D50 is in AF mode, it will not trip the shutter unless it thinks its focused (af-confirmation-spot being still). Is there a way for the camera to shoot anyway other than putting it in manual focus? I see a potential to loose photos just because the camera considers them out of focus...
Regards

Albano García
Design & Photography
www.albanogarcia.com.ar
www.flaneur.com.ar

Albano García
Design & Photography
www.albanogarcia.com.ar
www.flaneur.com.ar
www.ciclopefoto.blogspot.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 autofocus override possible?
DaC
19th Nov 2005
avm247 Moderator
19th Nov 2005
Drewhound
19th Nov 2005
albano
19th Nov 2005
edmun
20th Nov 2005
avm247 Moderator
20th Nov 2005
Drewhound
20th Nov 2005
larrytucaz
23rd Nov 2005

DaC Registered since 13th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 02:43 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 autofocus override possible?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have not found a way to override that feature without resorting to manual focus. Sorry for not giving a definite answer.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSat 19-Nov-05 04:31 PM
18355 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 autofocus override possible?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Custom Function 2 should allow you to change the AF mode from AF-S (auto focus - single servo, which is a focus priority mode) and AF-C (auto focus - continuos servo, which is a release priority mode and most helpful with moving subjects). Note AF-C will release the shutter regardless of focus so blurry images are a possibility.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sat 19-Nov-05 08:36 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 autofocus override possible?"
In response to Reply # 2

Sorry Anthony, the D70 is release priority but the D50 is focus priority in either mode. It can be overridden with a lens with A/M mode, like the 18-70, by first auto focussing and then manually focussing as you shoot. I've yet to find a situation where it helps though.

albano Registered since 12th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 09:50 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 autofocus override possible?"
In response to Reply # 3

Buenos Aires, AR

Thanks for the help, guys

Albano García
Design & Photography
www.albanogarcia.com.ar
www.flaneur.com.ar

Albano García
Design & Photography
www.albanogarcia.com.ar
www.flaneur.com.ar
www.ciclopefoto.blogspot.com

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sun 20-Nov-05 09:03 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 autofocus override possible?"
In response to Reply # 4

eugene, US

On the D70 there is a focus lock next to the view finder -- pressing that will allow the shutter to fire.

I assume the D50 has one somewhere on the body -- probably labled AF-L (Mine has AF-E) under it on the same button.

Nikon USA site says it has this button.

ledmun

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSun 20-Nov-05 08:03 PM
18355 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 autofocus override possible?"
In response to Reply # 3

Rancho Cordova, US

I stand corrected, thank you.

Up until recently, AF-C was a Release Priority mode, AF-S a focus Priority Mode. I did not know that the D50 had changed the AF-C mode on the D50.

Anthony

"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sun 20-Nov-05 09:21 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D50 autofocus override possible?"
In response to Reply # 6

It took me a while to find out Anthony lol. I've since heard several D70 users say they'd prefer that because of the off focus shots they've had

You're right Ledmun, the D50 is the same, I think all the AE-L/AF-L buttons options are the same as the 570

larrytucaz Registered since 30th Aug 2003Wed 23-Nov-05 02:16 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: D50 autofocus override possible?"
In response to Reply # 7

Tucson,

There is an override possible, of sorts. You can program the AE-L/AF-L lock button on the back to only to AF-L (in the custom functions). Then, if you hold down this button before pressing the shutter release, then it will make the camera release-priority no matter what AF mode you're in. Think of it as a "shift" key that "shifts" the camera to release-priority, yet does so "on the fly" so that you otherwise have it operate as focus-priority.

It does concern me, though, to hear that the D50 is focus-priority even in AF-C mode. If that's so, how are we supposed to track moving subjects? That will lead to a LOT of missed shots.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #545 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.