nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #531
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50-anyone wish they had WB finetuning like the D70?" Previous topic | Next topic
chazmeister Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 02:53 AM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50-anyone wish they had WB finetuning like the D70?"

US

I'm strongly considering purchasing a D50 as my first DSLR. One of the differences between the D50 and D70 is that the D50 lacks the white balance fine-tuning available on the D70.
1. Is this a problem for any D50 owners, or do the D50's white balance settings and white balance bracketing give you the control you need?

Background: I've used a variety of Nikons over the last 25 years (EM, N60, N75 and (cringe) my daughter's Coolpix 3200. Have had a ball learning the basics of digital with the Coolpix, but its lack of manual controls and so-so white balance have me very frustrated.

Thanks for any help you can give!

"Every picture tells a story, don't it?"
-Stewart/Wood

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50-anyone wish they had WB finetuning like the D70
henlin
19th Nov 2005
Shred
19th Nov 2005
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
19th Nov 2005
kturner1
19th Nov 2005
yagua
22nd Nov 2005

henlin Basic MemberSat 19-Nov-05 04:54 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50-anyone wish they had WB finetuning like the D70"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I do wish that I can fine tune the white balance. However, after I began shooting raw, I found that tweaking the white balance in post-processing makes up for that. Of course, if you can set the white balance optimally straight from the camera, that would make things a lot easier. Just my 2 cents.

-Henry
D50: 50 1.8, 24-85AFS, 28-200G, Tokina 12-24

-Henry

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 09:07 AM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50-anyone wish they had WB finetuning like the D70"
In response to Reply # 1

FI

On a few occasions i have missed the WB fine tuning but after moving to RAW it's no longer an issue.
Besides usually auto WB or one of the presets does well enough and you can set the WB manually if necessary.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 19-Nov-05 05:43 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50-anyone wish they had WB finetuning like the D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

I don't have either the D50 or the D70 so your mileage may vary, as the saying goes.

I locked in on your phrase but its lack of manual controls , to that end, I want to ask how much manual control are you looking for? How advanced a camera do you want/need. Remember, even the most advanced DSLR will provide P,S, A and M modes. The big issue will be knowing how much control you want. I place the D50 as a digital N65/N75 and the D70/D70s more like an N80 in terms of performance.

The CP3200, as I recall is VERY limited with manual overrides. The D50 does have some, but may be difficult to access quickly.

I'd recommend handling both the D50 and the D70s if you can. From there, you can decide which you'd like better.

There are some great reviews in the Nikonian Resources for the D50 and D70.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

kturner1 Registered since 12th Oct 2003Sat 19-Nov-05 06:30 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50-anyone wish they had WB finetuning like the D70"
In response to Reply # 0

See if you can try this at your store with the D50 and the D70. With each camera, take one flash picture with Auto WB and another flash picture with Flash WB. See if you can tell any difference between each camera's different WB results. I've done this and would be interested in what you see. I have a D70 and think that the WB fine tuning is pretty darn subtle. I usually do OK with either Flash or Cloudy. If I was going to the trouble of fine tuning, I'd probably try a PRE instead.

yagua Registered since 13th Nov 2005Tue 22-Nov-05 04:21 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50-anyone wish they had WB finetuning like the D70"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I had read a lot of review about the D50, and also I was afraid that the D50 didn't have WB finetuning like the D70. But anyway I decided to buy it.
I Have my D50 for more that a moth and soo happy with it, and I also discovered the funcion PRE in the WB, is not that the "WB finetuning " what is the diference with the WB finetuning of the D70, I would like to know.

www.alojeda.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #531 Previous topic | Next topic