Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #5309
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which flash?" Previous topic | Next topic
eddie_kawasaki Registered since 07th Jan 2007Sun 26-Mar-06 01:51 AM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which flash?"

Alexandria, US

I have the D50. my question is, which flash to buy, the SB600 or the SB800? Is there an advantage to using the 800 on the D50?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which flash?
mooble117
26th Mar 2006
miwo76
26th Mar 2006
eddie_kawasaki
26th Mar 2006
edmun
26th Mar 2006
smarriott
26th Mar 2006
Aphex
26th Mar 2006
James23p Moderator
26th Mar 2006
SirAllen
26th Mar 2006
MINGZNIKONIAN
26th Mar 2006
Shred
28th Mar 2006

mooble117 Registered since 17th Jan 2006Sun 26-Mar-06 04:38 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

The SB-600 might be better for your needs. The biggest extra feature the SB-800 would have on the D50 is that it can act as the commander for the CLS. So my rec. is to get the SB-600 now, then for your second flash get an SB-800. Whats the point of having a comander, if you have no flashes to command.

miwo76 Registered since 05th Nov 2005Sun 26-Mar-06 05:41 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I'm a newbie to flash photography so I decided to go with the SB600 to save some money (and not get feel frustrated with the learning curve with flash photography - it's much easier to get frustated when a lot of money has been spent I find).

I put the extra %40 I saved by the SB600 instead of the SB800 towards another lens...

When my photography skills develop to the point where I may need to 2 to 3 sources of light in a portable studio setup than I would buy the SB800.

Check out the speedlight forum - it seems like almost 90% of the users there have a SB800...but I couldn't justify the extra $200 (CDN) difference in cost. Sure, it comes with a diffuser dome, a couple of gels and a built-in bounce card - but the diffuser dome is relatively cheap, I'm getting some free gels from Roscoe and the SB800's bounce card is kinda flimsy - I'm gonna use the ol' index card and rubber band trick for bounce flash. The SB800 does have more power (2/3 stop more), takes less time to recycle (<0.5s difference) but has less total number of flashes per charge (140 vs. 200).

Depending on the user, the SB800 would definitely be the better flash of the two...for my use the SB600 more than suits my needs for its planned use as a portable on camera flash (which allows me to bounce light! yay!) For once, I avoided getting sucked into paying more for features that I won't end up using a lot anyhow!

Cheers!

Mike

D50
35mm f/2; 50mm f/1.8; 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
SB-600 Speedlight

http://flickr.com/photos/miwo76/

eddie_kawasaki Registered since 07th Jan 2007Sun 26-Mar-06 05:56 AM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which flash?"
In response to Reply # 2

Alexandria, US

So there is no other feature/s that the SB800 has over the SB600 for use on the D50 other than being the "commander for the CLS"?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sun 26-Mar-06 06:43 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which flash?"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

Yes there are.

It can operate as a second flash using it in a dumb slave mode. (SU_4)

More power, more range, faster effective recycle and a soft diffusser. more zoom range,

More manual settings, PC connection, Nikon linking connectors for multiflash set up, Can be used on any camera using a PC cord,

ledmun

smarriott Registered since 07th Jan 2007Sun 26-Mar-06 07:12 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

Donisthorpe, GB

I bought the 600 and quite often wish I could use the flash off camera without a cable, which I understand is possible with the 800.

Regards,

Steve

My Nikonians Gallery

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Sun 26-Mar-06 09:18 AM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which flash?"
In response to Reply # 5

NL

You can use another flash wireless if you have the SB-800 mounted on the D50. If you want to use a single flash wireless, you will need either the SU800 commander, or a camera with commander mode(such as the D70 or D200).

For me, flash is a backup I don't use very often. That's why I bought the SB-600. But if you do use flash a lot, I would recommend the SB-800 if only for the extra power and faster recycling.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sun 26-Mar-06 09:44 AM
9449 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which flash?"
In response to Reply # 6

Memphis, US

I have the SB-600 and I am very pleased with it. The bottom line is if you can afford the SB800 sure then get it if money is an issue the SB600 is a great flash. Like some others stated I opted to get the SB600 so I could also get the Nikkor 50 1.8D. My next purchase will be a Macro system of lens and the SU800/R1-SB200 speedlights which will give me a way to use the SB600 off camera via the SU800. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

SirAllen Registered since 20th Jan 2006Sun 26-Mar-06 04:24 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I started out with SB600. For my next one I got a SB800...and then another SB800. I think the SB600 is a safe way to get your feet wet. However, if you do a lot of flash and a lot of long range or high power flash then the SB800 will be the better choice with its faster recharge and stronger power. Also, if you have plans for another lighting system (strobes, etc.) down the road and want to be able to use these flashes as slaves then the SB600 will have problems with that (doesn't have SU-4). Other than that go for the SB600

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 26-Mar-06 04:52 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Which flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

Regina, CA

I was in the same shoe as you are in January, but finally decide on the SB800 instead of SB600.. why? with the SB600, i will have to buy a diffuser and add some kind of white card to it... which SB800 has! besides, D50 couldn't do wireless, so another plus for sb800...

the only drawback is the price, but i didn't regret it too much, getting great result from sb800... just my 2 cent!

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Tue 28-Mar-06 05:50 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which flash?"
In response to Reply # 9

FI

I bought the SB-600 as it was cheaper and does averything what i need.
Intelligent wireless flash system would be nice but with D50 single SB-800 is as useless as single SB-600.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #5309 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.