Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #520
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shooting a dark subject against a bright background" Previous topic | Next topic
Grasshopper Registered since 13th Oct 2003Fri 18-Nov-05 10:16 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shooting a dark subject against a bright background"

Los Angeles, US

This afternoon I was experimenting with my new D50 and SB600 speedlight. I attempted to take a picture of a dark green ivy leaf that was climbing up a yellow wall reflecting full afternoon sun. (Under normal circumstances I would just realize it was a lousy time of day to be taking that picture...but for the sake of education...) I found the best picture came from spot metering on the dark leaf and setting the flash to TTL-BL to fill. However, the incredible brightness of the wall behind the ivy still tended to blow out into overexposure. Is there any way of toning that down, while still capturing the detail of the leaf? Are there any other ways you'd recommend trying the shot? I should mention I was shooting with a 50mm 1.8 AF D Nikkor from a distance of maybe 3 feet in "P" mode, so I don't recall the shutter and aperture settings. That said, would it be wise to bump up the shutter speed to whatever the fastest flash sync would be?

Grasshopper

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 18-Nov-05 11:18 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shooting a dark subject against a bright background"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

Yes a faster shutter speed would help.

I would try matrix just because...

S at 1/500 or If you are in full sun use the sunny 16 rule - set camera on M at 1/500 and f10 and use the flash on bl.

Just a starting point and then look at the histogram or the screen with the blinkies and adjust from there.

ledmun

Grasshopper Registered since 13th Oct 2003Fri 18-Nov-05 11:57 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shooting a dark subject against a bright background"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

While you're on the subject...can somebody explain the histogram to me? Ideally, are you looking for a histogram without high-highs and low-lows?

Grasshopper

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #520 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.