Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #52
View in linear mode

Subject: "I had wait a week to ask this question, contemplating b" Previous topic | Last topic
MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 28-Oct-05 10:40 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I had wait a week to ask this question, contemplating b"

Regina, CA

Hello,

First of all, I now realize how much I miss this forum, after like a week without it~~

Anyways, I was wondering if fellowing nikonian can help me decide. My collection of lens are limited to the following:

-18-55mm (aka, D50 kit lens)
-50mm f1.8
-70-300m G

A friend of mine is heading to Hong Kong in the coming month and I will ask him to help me buy a lens there for obvious reason. I wanted a lens that will replace my D50 kit lens, a fast lens like the tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is perfect for me. The problem with this lens is there seem to be a lot of bad copies, and because I couldn't test this lens before purchasing it, I don't want to take the risk, or should it?

The other option is to get a sharp 85mm f1.8 and keep my D50 kit lens for now... but is it worth it? since i have the 50mm already, is the extra reach worth the dollar?

Okok, perhaps i should elaborate the type of shoot i do:
-Candid portrait type of shoot
-Street photography, you know, take a walk downtown, photo here and there, people doing interesting things
-more indoor, less outdoor
-wide angle, not too important for me
-70-200mm is great range for me, but a poor student like me can't afford the premium $$.
-not a fan of flash photography, don't own a SB800, perhaps after using one will change my mind... LoL

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I had wait a week to ask this question, contemplati
edmun
28th Oct 2005
MINGZNIKONIAN
29th Oct 2005
MINGZNIKONIAN
29th Oct 2005
BJNicholls Gold Member
28th Oct 2005
MINGZNIKONIAN
29th Oct 2005
edmun
29th Oct 2005

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 28-Oct-05 11:23 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I had wait a week to ask this question, contemplati"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

You can never have enough lens. That said

Ask your self some questions -- do you need a fast lens. How fast do you need.

How much do you save in HK over where you are.

Do you need a longer lens then the 85 f1.8 is a safe lens to buy.

I will get the 28-75 myself soon. I do not find primes useful for me.

If your 18-55 id not sharp then I would consider the 18-70 with its longer range and it is sharp.

ledmun

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sat 29-Oct-05 12:19 AM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I had wait a week to ask this question, contemplati"
In response to Reply # 1

Regina, CA

Here in Canada, the Tamron will cost me $599CAD plus tax, which I can't afford. Where the price in HK, I can afford!

I was wondering the diff between 50mm and 85mm, so I did these test shoot with a tripod:

50mm f5.6 build in flash (AF 50mm f1.8D lens)
http ://users.accesscomm.ca/mm/50mmF5.6ISO400Flash.jpg
(space added to the URL - mod)

85mm f5.6 build in flash (AF 70-300mm fxx-xx G lens)
http ://users.accesscomm.ca/mm/85mmF5.6ISO400Flash.jpg
(space added to the URL)

**I am starting to favor the 85mm now, but still not firm, any comment will be greatly appreciated!

MINGZCAN

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sat 29-Oct-05 06:46 PM
#6. "RE: I had wait a week to ask this question, contemplati"
In response to Reply # 3

Regina, CA

Hmm... Is the lion scaring the moderator?

MINGZCAN

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 28-Oct-05 11:26 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I had wait a week to ask this question, contemplati"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

28mm on DX is barely wide angle. 18mm gives you a very wide capability. You can't replace the coverage of an 18-whatever with a 28-whatever. 10mm on the wide end means a big difference in angle of view.

I recently got an 85 1.8. It's a lovely lens that offers nice shallow depth of field. It's compact, focuses quickly despite not being AF-S, and gives you some tele reach in a very bright lens. For the shooting you describe and your budget, the 85 1.8 would be a great addition.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sat 29-Oct-05 12:38 AM
#4. "RE: I had wait a week to ask this question, contemplati"
In response to Reply # 2

Regina, CA

I was browsing through dpreview forum, this guy use the 85mm f1.8, amazing shoot! (there seem to be some really good lighting directed at the dancer, so probably tamron can do the same~)

check it out here:
http://atlantis.fotopic.net/p21460046.html

or

http://atlantis.fotopic.net/c725221_1.html

MINGZCAN

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 29-Oct-05 12:39 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I had wait a week to ask this question, contemplati"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

I would take your 70-300 outside and lock it at 85 mm and see if it works for you. With it locked at 85 mm you can see if you miss the zoom when you photograph similar subjects to those you intend to with you faster 85 f1.8.

ledmun

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #52 Previous topic | Last topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.