Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #5187
View in linear mode

Subject: "What Lens" Previous topic | Next topic
ARFF54 Registered since 14th Mar 2006Thu 23-Mar-06 05:24 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What Lens"

Houston, US

After seeing my new D50 kit my mom has decided to get one also. She ordered the kit with the nikkor 70-300 4-5.6 but they do not have it in stock. She got an email from them today giving her some options.

1. wait for the Nikkor to get stocked 2-3 weeks.
2. go with the Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 DG (non APO) Macro
3. get reimbursed 100.00 to her credit card

I do not know what to tell her to do and cant find any comparrisons on the Nikkor vs. the Sigma non APO.

Any advice??

Thanks,

Kelly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Planefreek22 Registered since 27th Jan 2006Thu 23-Mar-06 05:26 AM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: What Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Del Mar, US

Is this the D50 Kit (w/ 18-55mm DX) and the 70-300mm or the D50 with the 70-300mm and no 18-55mm DX?

-Matt
http://www.driftingphotographer.com

ARFF54 Registered since 14th Mar 2006Thu 23-Mar-06 05:28 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

Houston, US

it has the 18-55

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 23-Mar-06 06:45 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What Lens"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

The Sigma lens is a reasonable substitution.

Go to the 3rd party lens forum for more details. (Personally I like Tamron over Sigma and Tokina is my second choice)

The Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina I believe have metal mounts while the Nikon G has a plastic mount.

The Sigma, Tamron, tokina also have a f-stop ring that is useless on a D camera but it is there anyway and it must be locked for best results.

ledmun

BUPA Registered since 22nd Mar 2006Sun 26-Mar-06 05:51 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What Lens"
In response to Reply # 3

DUBAI, AE

I GOT THE 70-300 G LENSE FROM NIKON ,I KEEP IT ON MY D50 ALL THE TIME , THE LENSE DELIVERS NICE SHARP IMAGES ,BRILLIANT COLORS BUT THE FOCUS IS SO SLOW ( I DONT CARE CAUSE I USE IT FOR PORTRAITS ) IT IS SO CHEAP , ILOVE THAT LENSE AND AFTER ALL ITS A NIKON AND IT WORKS FINE ON THE D 50 , YOU CAN GET THE ED VERSION BUT YOU LL PAY MORE THAN DOUBLE THE PRICE FOR THE SAME IMAGE QUALITY ,BUT BETTER BUILD AND WITH A FOCUS RING AND APRETURE CONTROLS

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #5187 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.