nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #5170
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which body and lens?" Previous topic | Next topic
cny3123 Registered since 21st Nov 2005Thu 23-Mar-06 04:02 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which body and lens?"

San Mateo, US

Hi,I was showing my camera, a D50, to a friend, and he decided that when taking pictures of his RC cars, that a digital SLR would be perfect. The cars apparently move quite quickly around, and so he is considering buying the D50 because a little P/S isn't cutting it, however the question that I find to be confusing is whether there is a decent telephoto lens out to 200mm at least with AF-S out there other than the 55-200, because from what I've heard, is not a true AF-S lens and is not quite as fast focusing. So, though I love my Nikon gear quite dearly, I am wondering whether he might be better off buying a Canon Rebel XT..? I am unsure because canon seems to have quite a formidable line of USM lenses, which I am guessing is their version of AF-S? So, though this is a Nikon Forum, I am wondering whether he would be happier going with Canon instead. I am sure that many of you looked at and considered the Rebel XT before deciding upon your D50, unless you upgraded from Nikon film like I did. However, any lens recomendations must be fairly cheap because he has a restricted budget, like all high school students. And thus, is willing to spend around $800 or so.
Once again, I'm sorry if you are offended about me asking about Canon on a Nikon forum, but this has been one of the most helpful forums I have ever been able to find, and also the only one that I am able to ask questions for. Thanks again,
Chris

http://cny3123.fotopic.net/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which body and lens?
Planefreek22
23rd Mar 2006
cny3123
23rd Mar 2006
britkev
23rd Mar 2006
Planefreek22
23rd Mar 2006
beavo451
23rd Mar 2006
cny3123
24th Mar 2006
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
24th Mar 2006
Planefreek22
24th Mar 2006
beavo451
24th Mar 2006
Planefreek22
24th Mar 2006
cny3123
25th Mar 2006
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
25th Mar 2006

Planefreek22 Registered since 28th Jan 2006Thu 23-Mar-06 04:24 AM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Del Mar, US

I can't help you with the lens question, but having used both the Canon 350D and the Nikon D50, I can give an opinion on that. My school has 20 Rebel XTs so I am pretty experienced with them.

Pros Rebel:

Easier to use
Can shoot B&W in camera (I'm not too happy with the quality though)
Lighter
Higher Resolution (But in my opinion, anything over 6 MP is excessive)
Faster burst rate (3 fps? compared to D50's 2.5 fps)
Uses CF card (Better if you ever upgrade your camera, but if your old P&S used SD then you have to get a new card.)
Depth of Field preview
I think lenses are cheaper

Cons Rebel:

Lighter (Definatly not as durable, it feels way to light in my hands)
Noise (At ISO 1600 the D50 has less noise than the rebel at ISO 200, noise at high ISOs on the rebel is VERY noticable)
1.8" LCD
I don't like its beep or shutter sound. I like my shutter lou
The lenses zoom the other way (Which is backwards, Nikon or Canon?)
More expensive

-Matt
http://www.driftingphotographer.com

cny3123 Registered since 21st Nov 2005Thu 23-Mar-06 05:11 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 1

San Mateo, US

Thanks for the quick reply, I am really unsure of what he might be happier with, though I'd love for him to get Nikon, then I would be able to help him with how to use his camera if he has any problems, but if Canon suits him better then I will recomend that. I think the 3 fps would be a plus for him as he needs speed.. Does anyone that maybe switched over from Canon to Nikon know of any good AF-S equivlants for the Rebel XT? I can't think of any AF-S telephotos (out to 200mm) that are relatively cheap.. I recall seeing a few USM lenses for under $200 that went out to 300mm for Canon. Anyone have any experience with these?

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Thu 23-Mar-06 05:39 AM
305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 2

Philadelphia, US

Before you spend all his money for him, take him to a camera shop and have him pick up, hold, and shoot with both cameras.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Planefreek22 Registered since 28th Jan 2006Thu 23-Mar-06 06:23 AM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 2

Del Mar, US

In my highly biased opinion, go Nikon, you can help your friend if he needs it, and if he gets serious about photography and starts to get new equipment, you can share lenses and such.

I have access to a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (B&H has it for $564.95)

These may be the lenses you are talking about

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=300600&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=12059&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

-Matt

beavo451 Registered since 25th Dec 2005Thu 23-Mar-06 08:29 AM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 4

Richardson, US

Are you taking pictures of the RC cars outside or inside? I remember the indoor RC car races were usually poorly lit and you will need fast lenses plus low light performance. The 55-200mm AF-S is still fairly fast and with proper technique, you can get excellent results. Pre-focus, shoot in drive mode, and continuous focus. You can probably get away with using this technique with a 70-300mm AF Nikkor. Just remember, AF-S is relatively new. What did all those action photographers ever do without it? They still got great photos from the regular AF lenses (and sometimes MF lenses!). So stick with Nikon. That way you can share lenses and not have a brand rivalry between the two of you.

cny3123 Registered since 21st Nov 2005Fri 24-Mar-06 03:28 AM
#6. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 4

San Mateo, US

Yes, those are the lenses that I am referring to, and I think I will recommend he goes with Nikon and just try out the 55-200 AF-S. I believe he will be shooting outdoors, so the variable aperature should not be a problem (at least in terms of light). Thanks for the help from everyone.
Chris

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 24-Mar-06 03:40 AM
9864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 6

Memphis, US

Plus Chris many of the lower end Canon AF-S(USM) are like the 55-200 they are rod type AF-S and not full ring type. I have the 55-200 and in good light its pretty fast.

But he should get to handle both systems, feel goes along way. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Planefreek22 Registered since 28th Jan 2006Fri 24-Mar-06 04:36 AM
#8. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 7

Del Mar, US

Worked only with my high school's canons today in my digital photography class. I noticed one more thing to add to my list of complaints, it is too small. My hands are too big for it, and I'm a small person.

I tried out the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.
It focuses pretty fast, at least faster than my Nikon 70-300. I thought it was a pretty good lens, but then again, I'm no professional. There were a few problems that I had with it that I wouldn't expect with a lens that costs $550. The front rotates with focusing, and the zoom will slide if you angle it too far up or down. My school is under the flight path for MCAS Miramar and I tried taking pictures of the F/A-18s. I would have them nicely framed, but then all of a sudden, the zoom slides back from 300mm to 70mm. Not good. But I did like the image stabalizer, it seemed to work as promissed. And even though it is USM, it was still pretty loud, but quieter than my Nikon 70-300mm.

-Matt

beavo451 Registered since 25th Dec 2005Fri 24-Mar-06 05:16 AM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 8

Richardson, US

>I would have them nicely framed, but then all
>of a sudden, the zoom slides back from 300mm to 70mm.

What's your holding technique? I would imagine that your left hand would prevent the ring from moving.

Planefreek22 Registered since 28th Jan 2006Fri 24-Mar-06 06:44 AM
#10. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 9

Del Mar, US

It does. More of a problem if you mount it on a tripod, why you would do that for aviation photography I have no clue. Maybe for pictures of blimps

-Matt

cny3123 Registered since 21st Nov 2005Sat 25-Mar-06 01:42 AM
#11. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 7

San Mateo, US

Thanks for everyones replies and all the advice. Of course what brand my friend chooses is up to him and ultimately he will see both, it is just that he asked for my advice and this is why I am asking here. Thanks again,
Chris

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sat 25-Mar-06 04:09 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Which body and lens?"
In response to Reply # 11

Livermore, CA, US

I'm sure that a large number of people on this forum are (a) new dSLR users and maybe new to SLR altogether, and (b) very recently made this same decision (in favor of Nikon). I fall into these catergories. To get a balanced view I have to say it makes sense to ask the same question on a Canon forum (maybe you did).

Anyway, I found this to be a very painful decision. Here's what I went through:

Canon:
+ More compact and ilghter = more spouse friendly.
+ Uses CF cards (a very big bonus for me).
+ 8 megapixel.
+ Found deal on sale that made it cost about the same as D50, each with 2 kit lenses.

D50:
+ Better low light performance.
+ Better autofocus
+ Much higher quality kit lenses = better pics first day I use the camera.
+ Has a consistent frame rate in burst mode (the Canon takes pictures at different intervals).
- SD cards (this alone almost killed the D50 for me several times in my decision making process)
- 6 megapixel (argue all you want that it doesn't matter, why pay the same for less?)

I'm not sure how relevent the pricing comparison is now since the D50 has dropped and I haven't priced the Canon lately.

What made my final decision?

(1) The biggest by far, and britkev said it, I cannot stress it enough: I went to the store and handled and shot with both cameras. The compact grip combined with the SLR weight made the Canon very difficult to hold for any length of time without my hand cramping. I knew the second I touched it that I would hate shooting with it. Plus the Canon felt much more cheaply built.

(2) The images on this page convinced me that I had nothing to fear of the images I'd get from a 6Mp vs. 8Mp camera, and convinced me of the supiority of the Nikkor kit glass:
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD50vsD70SvsXT_images.shtml

(3) This is a minor point but nontheless weighed in my decision - I spent a lot of time reading forums dedicated to each camera, and also forums where mixed users bickered. This is difficult to quantify, but Nikon users (especially here but also elsewhere) were very friendly in general, Canon users seemed to get quite defensive in wanting to quickly put down other brands.

The upside is that all these low-end DSLRs are phenomenal and much better than anything you could have gotten for double the price just a few years ago. I'm sure your friend will be happy with his decision regardless of which is chosen.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
Please visit my Nikonians gallery

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #5170 Previous topic | Next topic