Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #514
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 and Big Zooms" Previous topic | Next topic
RMPierce Registered since 18th Nov 2005Fri 18-Nov-05 04:41 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 and Big Zooms"

Pittsburgh, US

Is anybody using the D50 with big pro zooms like the 80-200 2.8D Tripod Mount? I'm not talking about the AFS model. I am looking to pick-up a fast tele zoom to shoot my children's sports. I'm pretty sure the focal length will be fine for basketball and infield shots of baseball.

I'm worried about the AF speed. Has anybody used this lens with the D50? Can that little camera's AF motor drive that big lense without AFS? I ordered my D50 this week from B&H for $599, and I don't have any other big pro zooms with which to test it before I buy the 80-200.

I'm not shooting pro sports, but I'm buying this to shoot action shots, and need to be able to track and focus. The AFS models are just a bit out of my price range, as I'd also like to pick-up a 300mm f4 for football and wildlife shooting.

RMP

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 and Big Zooms
MINGZNIKONIAN
18th Nov 2005
edmun
18th Nov 2005
henlin
19th Nov 2005
edmun
19th Nov 2005
henlin
19th Nov 2005

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 18-Nov-05 06:59 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 and Big Zooms"
In response to Reply # 0

Regina, CA

I have a lot of interest in this lens myself, I think i will get it next summer.

According to kenrockwell: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80200.htm

He try this lens on a D100, and he said the focusing speed is almost as fast as the AFS one!

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 18-Nov-05 11:22 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 and Big Zooms"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Once the lens locks on it will track.

Many people have used the slower 70-300 and have gotten good images. Mine tracks dancers on a big circular floor just fine.

ledmun

henlin Basic MemberSat 19-Nov-05 01:27 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 and Big Zooms"
In response to Reply # 0

US

On the D50, the CAM900 autofocus module isn't as fast as the CAM1300 of the D100. There are times that when I'm trying to track my dog or kids playing that I wish the camera locks on the subject faster. However, once you're locked onto the subject, it'll do a fine job, even for a non-AFS lens.

For an AFS lens, the AF obviously locks on faster as I've tried it with my 24-85G and a rented 70-200VR (wow, what a lens--fast, sharp, and beautiful bokeh!). For my 28-200, however, it takes FOREVER trying to lock onto a rapidly moving subject. That's probably like comparing apples to oranges, though, since the 28-200 is not a fast lens like the 80-200 2.8D, nor was it (28-200) intended for rapid action shots. As satisfied as I am with my D50, I do wish that it had a faster autofocus system as I'd like to shoot sports as well.

-Henry
D50: 50 1.8, 24-85AFS, 28-200G, Tokina 12-24

-Henry

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 19-Nov-05 09:42 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 and Big Zooms"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

My assistant has a D70 and a D100. There is no difference in focus speed.

The D70 and the D50 have the same cam 900. I am sure the D100 has the same cam but I can not find the data sheet on Nikon USA any more.

The D2x has the best cam and D200 has a cam 1000.

ledmun

henlin Basic MemberSat 19-Nov-05 05:25 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 and Big Zooms"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Oops--my bad. The D100 does have the CAM 900. I must've been thinking about the F100 in my earlier post...

-Henry

-Henry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #514 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.