Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #499
View in linear mode

Subject: "home made grip for D70 D50? -FUNCTIONAL" Previous topic | Next topic
ronnchy Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 17-Nov-05 07:36 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"home made grip for D70 D50? -FUNCTIONAL"

Toronto, CA

UPDATE:
Here's the direct link to my gallery. Your comments, good or bad are welcome.
http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=79284
2nd UPDATE:
Interesting. I was just reading another thread about hidden connector pins in the battery compartment of the D50. I added to that thread about how to test the pins to see if it's a 2 stage shutter release. I'd be interested to know if anyone has or is planning to test the connector pins.

Hi everyone.
I'm working on a fully functional vertical grip with 2 stage shutter release and command and sub-command dials for my D70. Check out the link below. If that doesn't work, try searching "home made grip" in the D70/D70s forums. Also take a look at my gallery and please tell me what you think.
Maybe there's some of you D50 owners out there that are willing to take a screw driver and peer into the inner workings of your camera....
I'd be interested in talking with like-minded tinkerers and would love to help out with anyone thinking about doing the same. (keeps me out of trouble 8-)

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=15026&forum=DCForumID86&viewmode=threaded

Why can't I take pictures like that...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ronnchy Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 02:49 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: home made grip for D70 D50? -FUNCTIONAL"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Question,

Does anyone out there know if the bottom of the D50 is the same shape/size as the D70/D70s?
I had an email request from someone asking if I'd be willing to make a grip for their D50. Since I don't own one, or never actually held one, I can't say for sure. I thought about taking my grip to the local BestBuy and trying it on a D50. Somehow I don't see that going over very well....
thanks

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 03:22 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: home made grip for D70 D50? -FUNCTIONAL"
In response to Reply # 1

As far as i'm aware they have a slightly different layout. maybe you can adapt it to fit.

ronnchy Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 03:31 AM
#3. "RE: home made grip for D70 D50? -FUNCTIONAL"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

'maybe you can adapt it to fit.'
Yeah, I thought about that. Making something for myself is on, but I'm a little leary about making a grip for someone else. When I was making my grip, I had and extra D70 bottom plate from which to mold, use and abuse, without worrying about getting sawdust and dirt in my camera. Since I wouldn't have an extra D50 base, I'd be taking a big risk with this guy's camera.
That's why I was hoping my D70 grip would fit the D50. All I'd have to do is to make the pins on top of my grip match the pins on the D50.
Oh well, think I'll pass on this opportunity.
Thanks for you help aacycles.

MrWalker Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 09:28 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: home made grip for D70 D50? -FUNCTIONAL"
In response to Reply # 3

FI

A D70 grip wont fit the D50, the tripod mount holes do not have the same distance to the battery compartment.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #499 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.