Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #493
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hyperfocal Distance on kit lens" Previous topic | Next topic
wgs Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Thu 17-Nov-05 06:22 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hyperfocal Distance on kit lens"

I have been trying to figure out how to determine the hyperfocal distance for the 18-55DX lens. Since the focus ring is unmarked, is there a method to determine where the depth of field would be the greatest? I could then mark the lens for future reference. I'd like to take more landscape shots and think this would be helpful.
Thanks,
Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Hyperfocal Distance on kit lens
Aleks
17th Nov 2005
sillyconguru
17th Nov 2005
wgs
18th Nov 2005
walkerr Administrator
18th Nov 2005
wgs
18th Nov 2005

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 17-Nov-05 08:24 PM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hyperfocal Distance on kit lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

Good question....I find the focus ring on the kit lens too hard to manually focus with, its as if it wasn't made to do that, its too loose.....I'm afraid if you did find the hyperfocal range on it, it would be too easy to lose focus after you've achieved it with a small bump or so....I suppose you could lock it though with the A/M switch on the lens only (leave the body on M)

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Thu 17-Nov-05 08:37 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hyperfocal Distance on kit lens"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Taken from here: http://www.photographic.com/phototechniques/1203art/index1.html

"18mm lens f/22 focused at 1.9 feet, 24mm lens at f/22 focused at 3.3 feet, 28mm lens at f/22 focused at 4.5 feet, 35mm lens at f/22 focused at 7.0 feet, and a 50mm lens at f/22 focused at 14.3 feet.) When you have your camera and lens set for the hyperfocal distance, everything from half the focused distance to infinity will be sharp. So, with 18mm at f/22, I can get everything from .95 feet to infinity into focus."

wgs Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Fri 18-Nov-05 02:39 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hyperfocal Distance on kit lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks. I have seen the charts already. The problem is the lack of any markings on the focus ring of the kit lens. This is also true of the 55-200DX. Is there a way to setup a test to determine where the mark should be on the ring? Should I just get rid of the lenses and move up to better glass? I am beginning to thing the d50/2 lens kit was a huge mistake. I think the d70s/kit lens would have been a much better choice for me.
-Bill

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 18-Nov-05 03:17 AM
14724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Hyperfocal Distance on kit lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Colorado Springs, US

It's not as bad as it seems. If the hyperfocal distance is 5ft, find an object approximately five feet away and focus on it. Don't worry if it's exactly 5ft or not. Depth of field is not an exact thing anyway - it depends on the size of the enlarged print, viewing distance, etc. When in doubt, go for something slightly further away like 6ft. Incidentally, many distance scales on recent zooms aren't that exact anyway, so having marked distances can be false precision.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

wgs Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Fri 18-Nov-05 12:12 PM
#5. "RE: Hyperfocal Distance on kit lens"
In response to Reply # 4

Ok. That makes sense to me. I guess I'll just keep a little chart in my bag and see how my results come out. At least with the dSLR I can see my results quickly.
Thanks,
Bill

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #493 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.