Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #478
View in linear mode

Subject: "Buying a wideangle lens for my D50 and my F80" Previous topic | Next topic
debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Wed 16-Nov-05 06:21 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Buying a wideangle lens for my D50 and my F80"

Kolkata, IN

Dear Nikonians,

First of all my question is regarding buying a wideangle lens for my D50 and my F80. So I was not sure in which forum to post this question. Nikkor lenses , thrird party lenses of the D50 forun or the F80 Forum.

Anyway, I am looking for a wide angle lens to use with my D50 as well as my other 2 film bodies, the F80 and F75. I was thinking about the 18-70 for the D50 but I cant use that with my film bodies.

So can you please suggest some lenses (Sigma / Tamron or Nikkor) which I can use with the D50 and the F75 and F80. My budget is around 300$ which I guess takes the nikkor out of the equation.

Keep clicking

Debarshi

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Buying a wideangle lens for my D50 and my F80
briantilley Moderator
16th Nov 2005
debarshiduttagupta
16th Nov 2005
edmun
16th Nov 2005
Aphex
17th Nov 2005
RMPierce
18th Nov 2005

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 16-Nov-05 10:05 AM
29041 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Buying a wideangle lens for my D50 and my F80"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I'm not sure of prices in dollars, but here are three lenses you could consider:

Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D
Tamron SP 17-35mm f/2.8-4
Sigma EX DG 17-35mm f/2.8-4

If you want to go wider, the Sigma EX DG 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 would do it, but is more expensive.

All the above lenses work on film and DX digital bodies.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Wed 16-Nov-05 10:13 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Buying a wideangle lens for my D50 and my F80"
In response to Reply # 1

Kolkata, IN

Thanks Brian. I will lokk thorugh the net to find out their prices. Another question, what happen when you use the 18-55 DG Dx on the F80 ?

Debarshi

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 16-Nov-05 11:13 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Buying a wideangle lens for my D50 and my F80"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

If the lens says DX in the name it will not work well on a film camera. DX means smaller circle of coverage.

ledmun

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Thu 17-Nov-05 02:27 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Buying a wideangle lens for my D50 and my F80"
In response to Reply # 3

NL

In the case of Sigma it's DG and DC. DG means suited for digital because of special lens coatings for CCD reflection, but also usable for full frame sensors/film. DC is for APS-C sized sensors, which makes it the same as Nikons DX.

In your case, only look at the Sigma DG lenses, and not the DC.

RMPierce Registered since 18th Nov 2005Fri 18-Nov-05 05:36 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Buying a wideangle lens for my D50 and my F80"
In response to Reply # 0

Pittsburgh, US

No brainer...buy the Nikon 18-35 ED. It is an excellent lens. The 17-35 f2.8 is better, but it is also four times more expensive and much bigger and heavier. I have taken some of my best shots with the 18-35. Last time I checked, it runs between $300-400 at B&H.

You could also consider a prime lens like the 20mm f2.8. This is a pro-caliber lens in terms of sharpness, contrast and distortion, and its very small and light to carry around in your pocket. I think it sells for about $300.

The DX lenses will vignette on a film body at all but the longer focal lengths, and the third party lenses are not as contrasty and don't control distortion as well as the two lenses I recommended above IMO.

One more thing - at the risk of starting a flame war, I'm betting that Nikon's next generation of DSLRs will be full-frame sensor based, starting with the D3???, and working back to the advanced amature bodies, so I'm not investing in any DX lenses for a while until I see if Nikon makes this leap.

RMP

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #478 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.