Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #459
View in linear mode

Subject: "sd card reviews?" Previous topic | Next topic
difiglia Registered since 30th Oct 2005Tue 15-Nov-05 11:58 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"sd card reviews?"

United States, US

I once saw a listing of read and write speeds compared for sd memory cards in a nice easy list. Can someone post the link if you know what I am taking about?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: sd card reviews?
Steve Chism
19th Nov 2005
mfa
19th Nov 2005
Aleks
19th Nov 2005
K1W1
19th Nov 2005
edmun
21st Nov 2005
K1W1
21st Nov 2005
mfa
21st Nov 2005
edmun
21st Nov 2005
bhola
22nd Nov 2005

Steve Chism Registered since 17th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 05:17 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: sd card reviews?"
In response to Reply # 0

Biloxi, US

Hey,

I don't think I've ever seen something like that, but I'd say the best deal is a Kingston Ultimate at newegg.com

They run 133x and a 512mb card is only 42usd...and you definitely can not go wrong with Kingston.

Nikon: The Calming Camera

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 03:24 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: sd card reviews?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pelennor Fields, US

I've seen that list many times for CF, but not for SD.

I've purchased these and have been very happy with all of them...

Zipzoomfly: Kingston 50X 1GB Elite Pro for ~$53. (After rebate)

Newegg: Ridata 66X 1GB Pro for ~$54.

Newegg: A-Data 150X 512MB Turbo for ~$31.

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 08:43 PM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: sd card reviews?"
In response to Reply # 2

Calgary, CA

I'm a Sandisk guy, never had a failure, never had a problem.....I have an ExtremeIII 1gb, and a standard 256mb, write speed is noticably increased with the extreme, but not all card readers will extract at max speed...

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 09:00 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: sd card reviews?"
In response to Reply # 3

Melbourne, AU

There is a great thread about the whole SD / MMC thing over at DP review.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=15906824

Basically it seems that the speed of the card is of no consequence once you get over about 40x.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 21-Nov-05 09:43 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: sd card reviews?"
In response to Reply # 4

eugene, US

In my opinion, the reviews are BS, I have been following the real speed of cards by testing a lot.

There is no guarantee that they are what you pay for.

50% fail the following test.

A fast card should do 25 to 33 images in 30 seconds.

Manual focus, manual exposure 125 or faster, raw or raw plus jpeg, continous mode, Hold shutter down for 30 seconds.

I think I have now tested over 20 cards and read the testing on this forum or another 30.

The results can be devided into to groups slow (15-17) fast 25 - 32 regardless of the labels and regardless of the brands.

ledmun

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Mon 21-Nov-05 10:44 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: sd card reviews?"
In response to Reply # 5

Melbourne, AU

>
>A fast card should do 25 to 33 images in 30 seconds.
>
I'm interested to know the basis of your reason for this. Why should "A fast card should do 25 to 33 images in 30 seconds"?
Do you have any form of engineering facts here?
What is your basis for testing?
Is the device (I assume a camera) capable of writing that many images in that time frame? How does your test device compare with other devices (presumably other cameras) as far as write spped is concerned?
50% of what fail this test?
You have made a very broad statement. Could you please provide back up proof.

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Mon 21-Nov-05 12:58 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: sd card reviews?"
In response to Reply # 5

Pelennor Fields, US

>In my opinion, the reviews are BS, I have been following the
>real speed of cards by testing a lot.
>...
>I think I have now tested over 20 cards and read the testing
>on this forum or another 30...

Since you've tested so many, how about sharing the results with this forum? Perhaps a list of the cards in your two groups?

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 21-Nov-05 04:20 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: sd card reviews?"
In response to Reply # 7

eugene, US

I am sorry I did not keep records. I just was going to buy a fast Delkin card and had read about this test devised by another Nikonian.

So I had some 256 cards and they were fast. Then I bought some 512's and one did not work well.

I found it was slow. Then I started checking, Sandisks at Costco and returned over half.

Then at my camera club for fun, I checked every card I could get my hands on.

Lexar and Sandisk in about equal quanities - too my surprise they were either fast or slow -- nothing in between. We found the edge code on the Sandisk cards mattered the U** were always slow.

I have not done any testing myself in over a year but I follow the results on Nikonians and nothing seems to have changed. The cards are not consistant regardleess. Lexar and Sandisk are the only two most people test. The others are not very common.

My friend got a new card and it was a plane Sandisk but it behaves like a Ultra II while her other plane one is slow.

ledmun

bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 22-Nov-05 01:57 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: sd card reviews?"
In response to Reply # 8

Chandler, US

I have post this thread-

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID201/15024.html

I have also tested Sandisk SD v/s Sandisk Ultra II. Both seems to be same. I have also wrote to Nikon and waiting for answer.
My next step is to write SanDisk.- Hope this helps.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #459 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.