Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #446
View in linear mode

Subject: "D 50 and IR photography" Previous topic | Next topic
bernie76 Basic MemberTue 15-Nov-05 11:07 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D 50 and IR photography"

San Diego, US

I would like to try IR photography with my D 50, but I have heard that this camera has a built in IR blocking filter over the CCD.
Has anybody tried a Hoya R72 or similar with the D50? Any luck?

Scott

Scott

Some people are like slinky toys, not
really good for anything, but still bring
a smile to your face when you push
them down a flight of stairs....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D 50 and IR photography
Aleks
16th Nov 2005
sillyconguru
16th Nov 2005
lowla
18th Nov 2005
     Reply message RE: D 50 and IR photography..... It works!!!!
bernie76
16th Jan 2008
lowla
19th Nov 2005
bernie76
19th Nov 2005
mfa
19th Nov 2005
lowla
20th Nov 2005

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 16-Nov-05 02:50 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D 50 and IR photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

Great question! I was hoping to buy an IR filter some time, I would hope it would work!

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Wed 16-Nov-05 04:48 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D 50 and IR photography"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I haven't tried IR photography on my D70, but:

Set the camera up in a darkened room (manual focus,aperture priority, with the lens wide open), point a IR remote control (TV remote?) at the lens (so you can see it in the viewfinder), press and hold a button on the remote (volume control would do), fire the D50's shutter.

If the D50 is capable of IR imaging, (once the camera has taken a picture) you should see an image consisting of light that was emitted by the IR remote control.

lowla Registered since 18th Nov 2005Fri 18-Nov-05 05:02 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D 50 and IR photography"
In response to Reply # 2

I got the Hoya IR filter for my D50 and it works.

bernie76 Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:16 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D 50 and IR photography..... It works!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

San Diego, US

I just got the hoya R72 filter today and I agree with lowla. It works and it is easy. To show you how easy it is I'm posting the very first IR shot I took. I opened the filter (which I brought home 15 minutes ago), put it on the camera, set up the tripod in my backyard, guessed at an exposure (1/20 @ F3.5, Nikon 18-70@18) and clicked the shutter. In Photoshop I did autolevel and desaturate. That's it. Nothing to it. Now I have to go find something interesting to shot.
The major hassle is that you have to compose the shot and focus with the filter off, then put the filter on to take the shot.

Have fun!

Scott

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

lowla Registered since 18th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 12:35 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D 50 and IR photography..... It works!!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Hi bernie76,
I believed if you shot this way, you picture will be appear in 'red' on your camera LCD screen. To elimiate this and the hassle of using PS to do adjustment. Another way is to use custom white balance setting. You may want to try this.

Before you put on the IR filter..
(1) Press and hold the WB button and rotate command dial till "PRE" is display
(2) Release the WB briefly and then press the button again until "PRE" icon start to blink.
(3)Set the camera mode to "P"
(4) Aim your camera at some trees or sky and take a shot.

Once you are successful in setting the custom white balance. You can shoot your IR pictures without seeing the result in "red". The final result (IR effect) will be display instantly on the camera screen.

The process is a bit tedious as compare to doing a post PS adjustment but the pro is you got instant result that u can see on the camera screen instead of a picture appear in red.

Enjoy your new IR filter!

bernie76 Basic MemberSat 19-Nov-05 06:10 AM
#5. "RE: D 50 and IR photography..... It works!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

San Diego, US

Thanks lowla, I'll check this out. I like the idea of seeing the result instantly.
I know I'm going to want to play around with this quite a bit, mainly I posted the pic to point out that it really is an easy process, even a slow learner like me can do it. I wish finding a good composition was as easy!

Scott

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 05:21 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D 50 and IR photography..... It works!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Pelennor Fields, US

>Before you put on the IR filter..
>(1) Press and hold the WB button and rotate command dial
>till "PRE" is display
>(2) Release the WB briefly and then press the button again
>until "PRE" icon start to blink.
>(3)Set the camera mode to "P"
>(4) Aim your camera at some trees or sky and take a shot.

Are you sure you do all these steps with no filter attached?

lowla Registered since 18th Nov 2005Sun 20-Nov-05 01:47 AM
#7. "RE: D 50 and IR photography..... It works!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

>>Before you put on the IR filter..
>>(1) Press and hold the WB button and rotate command dial
>>till "PRE" is display
>>(2) Release the WB briefly and then press the button again
>>until "PRE" icon start to blink.
>>(3)Set the camera mode to "P"
>>(4) Aim your camera at some trees or sky and take a shot.
>
>Are you sure you do all these steps with no filter attached?

oops, I'm sorry. I've made a mistake (sometimes the fingers just dun follow what the mind want to do)..Tks mfa for the alert and apologize for the inconvenience caused, if any.

You'll have to put on the IR filter first before attempt the above steps.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #446 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.