nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44594
View in linear mode

Subject: "image sharpening " Previous topic | Next topic
jimmydj Registered since 02nd Nov 2013Sat 02-Nov-13 07:57 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"image sharpening "

US

I've been doing a lot of shooting lately with my d60 and my last session I shot landscapes in raw,but think ill Jus stick to jpeg fine after review at 100% in PhotoShop some the pics were blurry some were better than others I'm editing in PhotoShop but Im not sure if I'm fully utilizing my cam. Any help on settings,autofocus,metering etc. I Jus feel on landscapes I should b getting better results initially from the camera Thx a lot. If anybody responds

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 04-Nov-13 12:04 AM
4943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: image sharpening "
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

>... after review at 100% in PhotoShop some the pics
>were blurry some were better than others I'm editing in
>PhotoShop ... I Jus feel on
>landscapes I should b getting better results initially from
>the camera .

If you are shooting raw/NEF files and using non-Nikon software to process them, you are not getting "results initially from the camera." While all the Picture Control settings (including sharpening) are written to the NEF file, only Nikon's software read these settings. Any Third-party software applies their own settings to the images instead.

JPG files have the Picture Control settings baked into the picture by the camera. By the time non-camera software sees the image, the image is what it is, with much less room for major editing.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, TC20e3
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

jimmydj Registered since 02nd Nov 2013Tue 05-Nov-13 04:57 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: image sharpening "
In response to Reply # 1

US

Wow Thx for the info I guess I should run images through some NIKON software before PS .

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 05-Nov-13 01:43 PM
10885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: image sharpening "
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 05-Nov-13 01:45 PM by Covey22

US

Regardless of your choice in Post-Processing Software, it is always more optimal to sharpen after uploading, rather than setting it the camera. For starters, the LCDs even on the best cameras, are more useful for checking composition, framing, timing etc., and a *gross* check of WB and color (not finetuned). Everything else should be done on a bigger, preferably color-checked screen (i.e., your PC). Just remember - it is easier to ADD contrast and sharpening to a photo in post-process, but it is very difficult to REMOVE it (without some destructive effects), especially when you've set it in the camera.

Edited to add: Sharpening is also a relative function to the size of the photo in it's final form. In other words, if you're just showing it on the web, there's a certain level of sharpening that is optimal. That level will be different if you're printing it, and different again depending upon the size of the print - i.e., 5x7 versus 8x10. There is no magical global sharpening setting.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44594 Previous topic | Next topic