Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44590
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need to buy a flash attachment for my D60" Previous topic | Next topic
Thumper1929 Registered since 20th Oct 2013Sun 20-Oct-13 04:35 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need to buy a flash attachment for my D60"
Tue 01-Apr-14 01:29 AM by jrp

US

Hi all,
I currently have a D60 & use a Tamron 18-270mm lens. The pop up flash does not work well, so I need to purchase a flash now. Any recommendations?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need to buy a flast attachment for my D60
MEMcD Moderator
20th Oct 2013
Thumper1929
21st Oct 2013
MEMcD Moderator
21st Oct 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
31st Mar 2014
jcsocalphoto
31st Mar 2014
Reply message RE: Need to buy a flash attachment for my D60
jrp Administrator
01st Apr 2014

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 20-Oct-13 06:47 PM
25734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need to buy a flast attachment for my D60"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kimberly,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Do you have a budget in mind?
I would recommend an SB-700 or a used or refurbished SB-600.
The SB-400 is the least expensive option. The problem is it is only slightly more powerful than the built-in Speedlight. It also has a very low profile which makes red-eye more likely, especially at longer focal lengths.

Best Regards,
Marty

Thumper1929 Registered since 20th Oct 2013Mon 21-Oct-13 09:20 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need to buy a flast attachment for my D60"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you for your speedy reply! I will take a look a these! Thanks!!!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 21-Oct-13 10:01 PM
25734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need to buy a flast attachment for my D60"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Kimberly,

Your welcome.
Glad to help.

Best Regards,
Marty

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Mon 31-Mar-14 03:14 PM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Need to buy a flast attachment for my D60"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 31-Mar-14 03:16 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

It will depend greatly on your budget. I returned an SB 400 and exchanged it for my SB-600, which is a great flash, and more powerful, but complicated.

Nikon Flashes are rapidly "outmoded", and replaced with more complex and expen$ive models.

I have had good service from Sunpak flashes through the years.

My wife gave me,a Sunpak PZ42X for Christmas, which, I think, is more user-friendly than the SB 600,IMO, and about equal in performance, but I haven't run any comparison tests. It is also less $$$.

There are other third-party flashes that will also give good service. I've had no personal experience with the smaller Sunpak RD2000,which seems to be more powerful than the on-board flashes. I owned the PF30x, which is also a good, powerful little flash, but will only tilt its head, and not swivel.

Good luck!

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jcsocalphoto Registered since 19th Apr 2013Mon 31-Mar-14 04:53 PM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Need to buy a flast attachment for my D60"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

I have all three of the flashes mentioned (the SB-400, 600 & 700). The nice thing about the SB-400 (which I guess there is a newer SB-300 out there, but not as nice as the 400 from what I understand)... the nice thing about the SB-400 is the head tilts up to bounce the flash off the ceiling (verses the pop-up flash). I take this flash with me on vacations as it's small and easy to carry.

The SB-600 and the SB-700 are both larger flashes (I replaced my SB-800 with the 700 and actually wish I'd kept the 800 and traded up with the 600). The SB-700 has a better menu setup than the 600, but that's for the most part the only thing I really notice different (I think the flash power is about the same). Both the 600 and the 700 can be used off camera and triggered by your pop-up flash (which is really nice it you get into off camera flash placement). The 400 can't be used like this unless you get remotes to trigger the flash unit.

Obviously, the SB-400 is going to be the least expensive (about $110 new, maybe $80 used), next the SB-600 (this prices are all over the place as they are no longer made so you can only find them used or refurbished)... maybe $150-180(?). Then the SB-700 as it's the newer of the three. you can find these new, refurbished and used...

I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them over the pop-up flash, but I'd go for one of the larger two flashes also - they are going to be more flexible if you're needing more flash.
Good luck.

Jack
D700/D2X/F100

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 01-Apr-14 01:45 AM
34321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Need to buy a flash attachment for my D60"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

For a view into the complete current lineup of speedlights you may want to read this as a selecting guide.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44590 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.