Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44580
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40x vs D50 - a review from a child's point of view." Previous topic | Next topic
graxxor Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Wed 14-Aug-13 12:41 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40x vs D50 - a review from a child's point of view."

Tokyo, JP

My daughter is 5. She loveed taking photos and used to use my old D70 about a year ago… However, it was a bit old and flaky and when I sold it, she got mad, so I bought her a good condition D50 which she has been using for 6 months now and seems to like it very much.

Due to a post on this very forum and for a bit of a giggle, I bought her a cheapo mint D40x from Yahoo Auction last week.

I told her the D40x has a higher resolution, is newer, smaller and lighter and has a much improved back screen.
She tried it out and as expected, while the pictures she took were indeed higher res, there was no particular improvement in their quality (after all, the cameraman makes the photos, not the sensor).
Anyway, after a few days of using the D40x, she suddenly complained… "I don't like this new camera. I want my old one back."

"Isn't the new one lighter?"
- "The old one was light enough"
Fair enough

"Isn't it better for your small hands?"
- "My left hand has nothing to hold on to when I use a small lens."
Good point.

"Isn't the screen easier to see?"
- "I don't look at my photos on the small screen. The screen is big enough to use it. I like the iPad, anyway."
True, true…

"Isn't it easier to use the buttons and stuff?"
- "No… the D40 is hard to use."
Really? I was surprised.
- "When I turn the dial on the top, there is no screen to see Auto or P mode."
My daughter uses only Auto mode (when it's dark) and P mode set with no flash in the day time. Yes, you have to look at the rear LCD display to check the mode. I found that annoying too, but I assumed she wouldn't care.

Then she came out with the deal breaker for her:
- "The dial is on the right hand side… But when I'm holding the camera with my right hand, it's difficult to turn the dial with my left hand. The is easier. I want my old camera back."
I handn't thought of that. I watched her change from auto to p and it was quite difficult for her to reach over and change the dial on the right of the camera with her left hand while trying to hold it still. Also, her arm obscured the rear display as she did so and her hand obscured the dial, obviously… so she struggled to tell which mode her camera was in.

My daughter is only five, but I think she came up with a comprehensive argument in favour of the D50.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D40x vs D50 - a review from a child's point of view...
mkbee1 Silver Member
15th Aug 2013
graxxor
16th Aug 2013
rogermorris Silver Member
16th Aug 2013
JonK Moderator
15th Aug 2013
graxxor
16th Aug 2013

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Thu 15-Aug-13 02:39 PM
637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40x vs D50 - a review from a child's point of view."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 15-Aug-13 02:40 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

Good for your little lady! She definitely knows what she likes! GOOD for her.
My wife also likes my D50 better than her Canon Powershot...She uses the recommendations of "Misty" on "MWAC Attack". (YouTube)

"P" for PROFESSIONAL". It's SO nice to have this whole photography thing explained by someone who knows all about it!

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

graxxor Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Fri 16-Aug-13 04:25 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D40x vs D50 - a review from a child's point of view."
In response to Reply # 1

Tokyo, JP

Yep. P definitely stands for PRO!

lol

My daughter can already take respectable photos… with a D50 and a cheapo 35-70 f/3.3.
A very undervalued lens on DX for 50mm-100mm equiv. street photography.

rogermorris Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2013Fri 16-Aug-13 05:15 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D40x vs D50 - a review from a child's point of view."
In response to Reply # 1

Harrogate, GB

When my daughter was around the same age she said - 'Daddy when you die can I have your camera?' F3 at the time, since traded. Now at the age of 29 she want the F Apollo, my son, 24, wants all my digital kit.
Nice to know what you are appreciated for!

No work of art is ever finished, merely abandoned

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 15-Aug-13 03:31 PM
4712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40x vs D50 - a review from a child's point of view."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 15-Aug-13 03:31 PM by JonK

New York, US

I think that over the next 13 years you will be buying her many more bodies. And wait until she discovers lenses! Fortunately, once she's 18 you don't have to support her NAS any more…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

graxxor Registered since 03rd Jun 2013Fri 16-Aug-13 04:31 PM
#4. "RE: D40x vs D50 - a review from a child's point of view."
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 16-Aug-13 04:31 PM by graxxor

Tokyo, JP

Hmmm the dreaded (or loved, depending on your wallet) NAS…
She said the other day. "Dad, can I just try this lens… It's not very big."

She was pointing at my AF Zoom Nikkor 28-105 3.5-4.5 with 0.5x semi macro.
Hmm… I didn't want to give her any ideas… Well, of course I did want to give her ideas, just not NAS inducing ones. LOL

She "kinda" liked it, but asked for her "little lens" back after an hour or so.

Anyway, here's what she took with her first (of many????) outings with a different lens.

I wonder what'll happen when she finds a lens she likes O_o

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44580 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.