nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D40x vs D50 - a review from a child's point of view.

graxxor

Tokyo, JP
21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
graxxor Registered since 03rd Jun 2013
Wed 14-Aug-13 12:41 PM

My daughter is 5. She loveed taking photos and used to use my old D70 about a year ago… However, it was a bit old and flaky and when I sold it, she got mad, so I bought her a good condition D50 which she has been using for 6 months now and seems to like it very much.

Due to a post on this very forum and for a bit of a giggle, I bought her a cheapo mint D40x from Yahoo Auction last week.

I told her the D40x has a higher resolution, is newer, smaller and lighter and has a much improved back screen.
She tried it out and as expected, while the pictures she took were indeed higher res, there was no particular improvement in their quality (after all, the cameraman makes the photos, not the sensor).
Anyway, after a few days of using the D40x, she suddenly complained… "I don't like this new camera. I want my old one back."

"Isn't the new one lighter?"
- "The old one was light enough"
Fair enough

"Isn't it better for your small hands?"
- "My left hand has nothing to hold on to when I use a small lens."
Good point.

"Isn't the screen easier to see?"
- "I don't look at my photos on the small screen. The screen is big enough to use it. I like the iPad, anyway."
True, true…

"Isn't it easier to use the buttons and stuff?"
- "No… the D40 is hard to use."
Really? I was surprised.
- "When I turn the dial on the top, there is no screen to see Auto or P mode."
My daughter uses only Auto mode (when it's dark) and P mode set with no flash in the day time. Yes, you have to look at the rear LCD display to check the mode. I found that annoying too, but I assumed she wouldn't care.

Then she came out with the deal breaker for her:
- "The dial is on the right hand side… But when I'm holding the camera with my right hand, it's difficult to turn the dial with my left hand. The is easier. I want my old camera back."
I handn't thought of that. I watched her change from auto to p and it was quite difficult for her to reach over and change the dial on the right of the camera with her left hand while trying to hold it still. Also, her arm obscured the rear display as she did so and her hand obscured the dial, obviously… so she struggled to tell which mode her camera was in.

My daughter is only five, but I think she came up with a comprehensive argument in favour of the D50.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D40x vs D50 - a review from a child's point of view...

G