Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44571
View in linear mode

Subject: "shutter cable release for the D40?" Previous topic | Next topic
DonnaRead54 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2013Fri 12-Jul-13 11:44 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"shutter cable release for the D40?"

Burien, US

Hi all! I shot fireworks for the first time this year with a DSLR (my'new to me D40) and found out that my remote release won't hold the shutter open no matter what I did! It only works with a preset time. Fireworks are so unpredictable that I wanted control over the exposure time. I did get some really great photos but missed some better opportunities because I was either setting the exposure time or it ended just as things got more interesting. Could someone please tell me which cable release would work? I can't find that information anywhere including the Nikon site. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: shutter cable release for the D40?
MEMcD Moderator
13th Jul 2013
DonnaRead54 Silver Member
13th Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
13th Jul 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
13th Jul 2013
DonnaRead54 Silver Member
13th Jul 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 13-Jul-13 03:11 AM
25662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: shutter cable release for the D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Donna,

The Nikon ML-L3 IF wireless Remote is the only Remote Release compatible with the D40 wired or wireless.

Best Regards,
Marty

DonnaRead54 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2013Sat 13-Jul-13 04:50 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: shutter cable release for the D40?"
In response to Reply # 1

Burien, US

Thanks Marty! I have the Photiv ML-L3 IF remote. I was clicking and holding instead of clicking to open and then another click to close. I tried it the right way it works perfectly!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 13-Jul-13 11:42 AM
25662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: shutter cable release for the D40?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Donna,

Outstanding!
Glad to hear you got it working.

Best Regards,
Marty

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sat 13-Jul-13 03:27 AM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: shutter cable release for the D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

West Valley, US

O.K. Donna, this works on my D90, and should work for the D40.

Manual mode, adust shutter speed to longest setting, then one click lower, should show "bulb" or "- -" on your LCD screen. Nikon's marvelous little MLL3 IR remote, or People's Republik clone, about $3-4 on eBay. Set your self-timer to remote.

Click once, the shutter opens, click again, and it closes.

I hope this helps.

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

DonnaRead54 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2013Sat 13-Jul-13 04:43 AM
#3. "RE: shutter cable release for the D40?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 13-Jul-13 04:51 AM by DonnaRead54

Burien, US

Thanks so much. I was on 'bulb' and had remote set but I didn't click then click. I clicked and held. Hmmm I think I'll try the click and then click using my little remote. It works great otherwise!

Follow-up .. I tried the click and click and BINGO! Thanks so much!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44571 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.