Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44564
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which Camera ?" Previous topic | Next topic
buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 08:16 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which Camera ?"
Tue 02-Jul-13 08:50 PM by Asgard

US

Walked into this awesome pawn establishment. He has 3 DSLRs for sale

D40 $329
D5000 $499
Canon EOS xTi $459

Prices negotiable. They've been there awhile.

I currently have a sophisticated point and shoot, so I have been getting some practice with aperture, speed, ISO.

Each of these, Canon included, has an 18-55 "kit" lens.

Which would be the better choice?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 02-Jul-13 09:09 PM
4361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which Camera ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Definitely the D5000. It is 2 or more generations newer than the D40.
The XTi is about the same age as the D40.

The D5000 over both:
much newer technology
more megapixls
higher ISO range
bigger LCD
more focus points
more frames per second

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 02-Jul-13 09:19 PM
28919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which Camera ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Of those options, I agree that the D5000 is the one to go for.

But... this may not be the best deal unless you can negotiate down quite a way.

As an example, B&H Photo list several examples of the D5000 with 18-55mm VR lens for around USD360-400.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 10:17 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which Camera ?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Yes. Leaning towared the D5000 myself. I checked Amazon's prices. If I can talk this guy into $400, then that gives me room to buy a couple of nice lenses. He may go for that, as the camera has been there for months. I can always walk, and get it on Amazon.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 18-200mm "latest and greatest." 6 year warranty.

When buying a DSLR from a pawn shop, what should I look for, besides all the originally included stuff from the box, charging cable, DSL cable, etc?

s2sailorlis_nikon Registered since 19th Jun 2012Fri 26-Jul-13 05:49 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which Camera ?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

dont waste your time buying from a pawn shop....go to keh.com or ebay. there are millions of d5k's to be had. keh offers a 6 mos warranty on their equipment, why take a chance?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

excuse typos...via iPad....

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44564 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.