Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44529
View in linear mode

Subject: "Some newbie questions about aperture et.al." Previous topic | Next topic
je11o Registered since 05th Apr 2013Fri 05-Apr-13 11:59 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Some newbie questions about aperture et.al."

GB

Hello all,

I'm a relatively inexperienced SLR-user, I have a D50 which I'm ashamed to say has been mostly used on autopilot over the years. I'm now trying to learn the intricacies of shutter, aperture etc, and I was hoping someone here could explain a couple of things that don't make sense to me.

First of all, what decides how big of an aperture you can get - the lens or the camera body or both? I have a Nikkor 18-55 AF lens and the numbers on it say 1:3.5 - 5.6G. This is aperture, right? (Shouldn't the letter at the end read F then??)

Anyway, I tried adjusting the aperture in Manual mode - but the biggest aperture it would give me was F 4.5 (down to 29). Why will it not go to 3.5 as it says on the lens?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 06-Apr-13 12:15 AM
1725 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Some newbie questions about aperture et.al."
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

You're correct in that the number indicates the aperture. You 18-55 lens has a variable aperture and it can open up to f/3.5 at 18mm and will open to 5.6 at 55mm. When you saw f/4.0 you were probably at about 20mm or so. The number indicates the maximum (widest) aperture you can get at that focal length. And, you can adjust aperture from there down to probably f/22 or so.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

je11o Registered since 05th Apr 2013Sat 06-Apr-13 12:43 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Some newbie questions about aperture et.al."
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Aha! I tried zooming in and out now, and at 18 mm I can get the full f3.5 - but I'm not really clear on why it will only give f5.6 at 55 mm?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 06-Apr-13 03:41 AM
25570 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Some newbie questions about aperture et.al."
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 06-Apr-13 03:41 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi Hege,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Your 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is a variable aperture zoom meaning that the maximum aperture (smallest f/#) varies from f/3.5 at 18mm to f/5.6 at about 50mm to 55mm.

There are constant aperture zooms available like the 17-55mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S DX (approx. $1300.00 US) that maintain the maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range (17mm-55mm).

The maximum aperture is limited by the diameter of the front lens element. The longer the focal length, the larger the front lens element must be to maintain the same aperture. The larger the front element the more expensive and heavier the lens.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44529 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.