Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44493
View in linear mode

Subject: "Newbie-just bought a new lens!" Previous topic | Next topic
redmomof4 Registered since 31st Jan 2013Tue 05-Feb-13 03:09 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Newbie-just bought a new lens!"

US

Just wanted to stop in an introduce myself. I bought a D40X from my sister in law about a year ago and have loved it much since. I have the 18-55 kit lens which I have really seen the limitations to this when taking pictures of my children's sports etc... But for everyday outside pictures, its been fine. I bought a 50mm 1.8 a while back ago and use that frequently. But have been longing for something new. I just purchased a Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 and am excited about trying something new. I'm restraining myself from buying the next two lenses that I want since Mother's Day and my anniversary are both coming up. Here is what I think I want Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 & Tamron 70-200mm 70-200 f/2.8 but I am open to suggestions. I use my camera for pictures of my children and family mostly (sports, concerts, outside playing, birthdays etc... and vaca pictures) Is there anything you think I "need"?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Newbie-just bought a new lens!
avm247 Moderator
05th Feb 2013
redmomof4
05th Feb 2013
MEMcD Moderator
05th Feb 2013
redmomof4
05th Feb 2013
MEMcD Moderator
05th Feb 2013
Scotty Silver Member
09th Feb 2013

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 05-Feb-13 04:51 AM
18538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Newbie-just bought a new lens!"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Shawna, welcome to Nikonians!

I think you know what you want as far lenses go.

What do you "need"...tripod, flash (speedlight), bags, wide angle lens?

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

redmomof4 Registered since 31st Jan 2013Tue 05-Feb-13 09:42 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Newbie-just bought a new lens!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Anthony, that's just it. I don't know what I don't know and am not sure what else I may "need". I don't think I want a tripod right now, wont use it anyway. Maybe flash and I am certain my new lens will fit in my current bag if I take out the kit lens.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 08:36 AM
26537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Newbie-just bought a new lens!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 05-Feb-13 08:38 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi Shawna,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Both versions of the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 are optically excellent and very well suited to both DX and FX bodies. The latest version has VC (Vibration Compensation) and USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) which will provide faster AF than the older version with a geared micro-motor.

While the SP 28-75mm f/2.8 is also excellent and will work very well on both DX and FX bodies, 28mm is not very wide on a DX body. Unless you plan on transitioning to FX in the near future, I would recommend that you consider substituting one of the SP 17-50mm f/2.8 for the 28-70mm f/2.8.
After I transitioned from film to a DX body, I found my Nikkor 17-35mm too short at the long end and my 28-70mm too long at the wide end for my requirements. The Nikkor 17-55mm fit the bill perfectly.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

redmomof4 Registered since 31st Jan 2013Tue 05-Feb-13 09:57 PM
#4. "RE: Newbie-just bought a new lens!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Marty,
Thanks for the welcome. I will take your recommendations into consideration and do a little more research. If I could only buy one right now, which one would you recommend (referencing what I use my camera for).
Thanks,
Shawna

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 11:22 PM
26537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Newbie-just bought a new lens!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Shawna,

For indoor sports and concerts, my 70-200mm is usually the first choice.
It is also an excellent portrait lens.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 09-Feb-13 05:22 PM
4848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Newbie-just bought a new lens!"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

sounds like you need a good speedlight, a tripod and a bigger bag...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44493 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.