Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44461
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cleaning memory card contacts inside the camera" Previous topic | Next topic
mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Thu 06-Dec-12 08:19 PM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cleaning memory card contacts inside the camera"

West Valley, US

Hi, all;
Is it possible to clean the camera body memory card contacts by using something like a PecPad, moistening it with either sensor cleaning fluid, denatured Alcohol, or Deoxit, then sliding the strip down the card slot? Or, would putting any of the cleaning agents on an old card's contacts, then inserting and removing the card several times work, or am I just creating more problems?
Thanks;
Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Cleaning memory card contacts inside the camera
JosephK Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
aolander Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
09th Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
14th Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator
15th Dec 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 08-Dec-12 07:00 PM
4160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cleaning memory card contacts inside the camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Do you have a problem with the card contacts or are you just playing what-if?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 07:32 PM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cleaning memory card contacts inside the camera"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 08-Dec-12 07:33 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

The short answer is Yes.
I've read opinions on the forum about dirty interior contacts being a possible cause of malfunctions.

Never experienced the problem, myself, but I didn't have dust on my sensor for the first 5 years of camera ownership, either. So, when it happened, I gathered all the info I could, and cleaned the little bounder myself.

I figured if someone here had tried the self-cleaning route, I could be prepared in case the "Unthinkable" happens.

From the silence, I guess it must not be a common problem, or everyone takes their cameras to the neighborhood repair facility.

Carl

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 08-Dec-12 07:47 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Cleaning memory card contacts inside the camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

I've not heard of anyone having to clean the card contacts. You couldn't clean CF card contacts (tiny pins), but messing inside the camera without good reason would not be my recommendation.

Alan

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 04:40 PM
#4. "RE: Cleaning memory card contacts inside the camera"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 09-Dec-12 04:47 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

Alan;

That's sort of what I am thinking. A woman that was in a photo class I took worked at a camera repair facility, and told us that interior memory card contact problems were the most frequent repair they did.

I was in a camera shotp in Hawaii, and a fellow brought his Nikon in, saying the memory card contacts inside were farbled. I wondered how you could do that, because it is very difficult to even start inserting the card into my camera the wrong way. I figure the lady must have seen more than a few, because she didn't even hesitate; she told him she'd need to send it to the repair facility.

Thanks.
Carl

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 14-Dec-12 02:32 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Cleaning memory card contacts inside the camera"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 14-Dec-12 02:34 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Many use the philosophy of "Do not force it get a bigger hammer" and can get all sorts of things to fit were others have failed.

From an old saying about 8.5 inch floppy disks:

There are 8 ways to insert a CF card into a camera, only one will provide a unique and desired result.

It is possible to carefully move the CF card in and out of the contacts and have the movement remove some surface corrosion. If a card is always left in the camera the chances for oxidation to build up is lessened than if the camera is stored without a card. Also keeping cards in a sealed case can reduce corrosion.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 03:52 PM
#6. "RE: Cleaning memory card contacts inside the camera"
In response to Reply # 5

West Valley, US

George:
The card storage idea is definitely helpful information. Comes under the category, "Now, why didn't I figure that out?".
Thanx;
Carl

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 15-Dec-12 02:32 AM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Cleaning memory card contacts inside the camera"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Carl,

I would recommend a Gepe Extreme Card Safe .
I have several of them that I have been using for years.

There are memory card slot cleaning tools available but I have never tried one so will not recommend a specific brand.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44461 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.