Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44444
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 Exposures" Previous topic | Next topic
David6FL Registered since 26th Nov 2012Mon 26-Nov-12 04:11 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 Exposures"

US

I use my D40 frequently to take pictures of jewelry using a white background and 5000K CFL lighting. Seemingly regardless of what settings I use, Auto or P, flash or no flash, the white background comes out a dirty gray. What am I doing wrong or what settings should I be using?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D40 Exposures
ctdrummer Silver Member
26th Nov 2012
JosephK Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
aolander Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
ctdrummer Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
28th Nov 2012

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Mon 26-Nov-12 05:26 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40 Exposures"
In response to Reply # 0

Southern CT, US

You can try taking a reference shot of the white background using the preset white balance setting.

Visit My Nikonians Gallery.

Visit My web page.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 27-Nov-12 06:52 AM
4545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40 Exposures"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

The auto exposure system is designed to render scenes averaging to a medium gray. The camera does not know that all that white is supposed to be white. You need to use some +EV to get more light or do the same thing using manual exposure.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 27-Nov-12 01:03 PM
3279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D40 Exposures"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

"Auto or P".

Use manual or aperture priority. Expose so the histogram is up to the right side. Shoot RAW and adjust your white balance and exposure in post processing. The white background is causing the camera's meter to underexpose.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Tue 27-Nov-12 08:17 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D40 Exposures"
In response to Reply # 0

Southern CT, US

It wasn't clear that the images were under exposed, just that the background was gray.

Visit My Nikonians Gallery.

Visit My web page.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 07:15 PM
26189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D40 Exposures"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Patrick,

Since the background is gray in the image and white in reality, the images are under exposed. Dialing in some positive Exposure Compensation should solve the problem.
As stated a above, when the background is white or brighter than the subject, the cameras metering system tends to under expose when Matrix or even Center Weighted metering is used. Depending on the subjects size, using Spot Metering should be more accurate.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44444 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.