Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44413
View in linear mode

Subject: "D60 for School...should I upgrade?" Previous topic | Next topic
Valali Registered since 27th Jul 2012Fri 27-Jul-12 07:21 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
Fri 27-Jul-12 07:22 PM by Valali

CA

I own a D60 that I bought in 2009.
I just started a photography program and on the first class my professor (a very nice guy) said 'oh! how nice' in a tone that made me think it was not nice at all. Most of the class is cannon folk and a few other nikons but to them (with higher/newer models) he said stuff like 'oh, that's a GREAT camera!'...Now, I know what matters is the person behind the lens and I know the teacher didn't mean much by it but now I'm thinking if I should upgrade to learn.

For learning purposes, should I upgrade my D60? If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?
Lolrogge Silver Member
27th Jul 2012
Floridian Silver Member
27th Jul 2012
Valali
28th Jul 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
28th Jul 2012
MEMcD Moderator
29th Jul 2012
blw Moderator
30th Jul 2012
Bluewaterhooker0
28th Jul 2012
mfphoto1
28th Jul 2012
Valali
28th Jul 2012
MEMcD Moderator
29th Jul 2012

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Fri 27-Jul-12 08:46 PM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

My first reaction is, I would not upgrade to satisfy someone else. The D60 is a nice camera. But your situation is more complex than that.

You said a "photography program". I assume this is a diploma or degree program. If so will the D60 meet the needs of the program? As you take more advanced classes, the D60 may not be adequate. I would look at the program requirements to decide on an upgrade.

Laverne

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 27-Jul-12 08:47 PM
2721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I see no reason for you to upgrade. The D60 is a very capable camera and will take great photos. For learning purposes, there's nothing you could learn on another camera that you couldn't learn on a D60. If your photos from the D60 don't look great, as you've already said, it won't be the fault of the camera.

Randy

Valali Registered since 27th Jul 2012Sat 28-Jul-12 02:20 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Thanks for the replies!

Is not that I would change it just because someone told me but it got me thinking that it will be necessary sometime in the future...especially for a 'Night and Low Light' class given outdoors at night. My ISO only goes up to 1600.

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Sat 28-Jul-12 03:09 AM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 28-Jul-12 03:10 AM by Lolrogge

Ayden, US

That was just my first reaction; I didn't think you would.

My D5100 has several ISO boost settings, but they are noisy. Your D60 has an ISO boost to approximately ISO 3200. Your D60 will have more noise at the higher ISO setting.

Laverne

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 29-Jul-12 05:59 AM
25891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Vala,

For shooting night scenes of static subjects, using the camera's base ISO and a slow shutter speed ( camera mounted on a solid tripod) is usually the best way to go.
For shooting indoor or outdoor sports under the lights having a camera with high ISO capability will be required at most venues. That said, Fast Glass will be required as well and the optimum body will depend on how good the lighting is at the venue.
There are some venues that are so poorly lit that even with very fast primes (f/1.4 - f/2.8) even shooting with a D3s (current best high ISO performance of any DSLR on the market) can be very challenging.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 30-Jul-12 11:49 PM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

By far, the best approach to night photography is a tripod and cable release. Even the least capable cameras and lenses can do amazing things with a tripod. For example:

Clearly this is one of the proverbial "black cat in a coal mine" type of shots. And it even has a human in it, and even so the subject motion isn't too much of a problem. This was shot on a D100 (several years older than your D60, more noise, less advanced processing). With the 18-55 kit lens, but on a tripod.

The equipment matters, but not as much as you'd think given the internet chatter.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Sat 28-Jul-12 05:01 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

I got an AS in photography back in the stone age. We may have 'pushed' (increased ASA during processing of film) some film as an assignment, but pretty much shot anything and everything at ASA (not ISO) 100-400 on 35mm, 6x6, and 4x5 formats throughout the 2 year course. There's not a whole lot you can't shoot at any given speed, by just adjusting your shutter and aperture. As mentioned, the higher ASA's get 'grainy', or noisy. I think you will discover that the primary reason for buying an advanced camera these days will be ease of access to the manual controls and adjustments. I have a D40 that makes wonderful photos, I got a few D80's because I primarily shoot manual, and the menu adjustments were driving me nuts.
Attached are the high tech wonders that got me through college.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 28-Jul-12 12:55 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

When I went to school for my Associates Degree half the class dropped out in the first week because the class was more than they expected. We not only learned 35mm, but medium and large format photography also.

Your D60 should be fine. If you do night photography you will probably do more long exposures and flash then high ISO. Even now with my D300 or D800 I very seldom use a high ISO for night photography. I am not saying that I don't do it, just that I don't do it enough to warrant buying another camera just for that.

Lastly some noise in a shot is exceptable or you can use noise reduction either in camera or in post production.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Valali Registered since 27th Jul 2012Sat 28-Jul-12 05:18 PM
#7. "RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Thank you very much for the replies.

There is so much information I didn't realize I didn't know. I haven't stopped reading books, manuals & web! I even dream of camera settings! lol

I was thinking of upgrading in the next 3 months or so...or even as an xmas present for myself. Maybe a used D90 for starts or a new D7000 for longer use.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 29-Jul-12 05:45 AM
25891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D60 for School...should I upgrade?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Vala,

The D60 remains a very capable camera body.
As a general rule, "glass" is a much better investment than a camera body.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44413 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.