Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44396
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD CARD" Previous topic | Next topic
OliverR Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2011Thu 19-Jul-12 08:25 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD CARD"

Green Bay, US

Hello Nikonians,
I'm getting into the habit of making changes directly into the SD CARD, without downloading my photos, ex: cropping, sharpening, cleaning, etc.
Could someone tell me if I'm in the process of damaging the card if I keep doing this?
My camera is a D40X.
Thanks in advance.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 20-Jul-12 01:35 AM
2707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD CARD"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

No, you won't damage your card. But why do this rather than download the files to your computer, and make room for new photos on your card? One thing you will find is that once you have modified the file, you won't be able to view it on your camera LCD anymore.

Randy

petie3 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011Sun 22-Jul-12 03:52 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD CARD"
In response to Reply # 1

US

You can also download into more than one file, one for original and the other for edited versions. Won't hurt the card, but you don't want to fill it up with clutter either if the computer has a ginormous memory capacity; use it and reformat the card. Rockwell (I know, I know) formats every time he uses the camera.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44396 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.