Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44360
View in linear mode

Subject: "Time for a new battery on D60?" Previous topic | Next topic
BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Mon 25-Jun-12 04:16 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Time for a new battery on D60?"

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi All,

My D60 is 4 years old (I bought it new). Has had average use. Have recharged the original Nikon battery around 100 times.

Am planning on sightseeing the U.S. in July. The last thing I want to have happen is for my current battery and/or charger to die during the trip.

You old hands probably know the life expectancies of these units much better than I. Should I buy a new battery and a new charger before the trip?

As an aside, the D60 body itself. I've taken very good care of it. No dust, no moisture, no drops. Ballpark life expectancy?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

P.S. How do I find out how many total snaps I've taken on the D60?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Time for a new battery on D60?
MEMcD Moderator
25th Jun 2012
BillinBoston Silver Member
28th Jun 2012
BreeElla
01st Jul 2012
BreeElla
01st Jul 2012
blw Moderator
02nd Jul 2012
blw Moderator
02nd Jul 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 25-Jun-12 06:23 AM
25939 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Time for a new battery on D60?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bill,

>You old hands probably know the life expectancies of these
>units much better than I. Should I buy a new battery and a
>new charger before the trip?

My oldest Nikon battery is an EN-EL3a that I came with my D70 that continues to serve me well after about 7 years of service. I have an EN-EL4 that is a few weeks newer that just recently changed to 3 (out of 4(1 is new)) on the battery life meter. It still works perfectly as well. Both chargers continue to work perfectly as well.
I have always had at least one spare Nikon battery for each camera body and I rotate them. That said, anything electronic or mechanical can fail at any time for any one of a thousand or more reasons, though the odds are on our side.
I would get a spare battery Nikon battery. The odds of your charger going bad are remote.

>As an aside, the D60 body itself. I've taken very good care
>of it. No dust, no moisture, no drops. Ballpark life
>expectancy?

If I remember correctly Nikon tested the shutter on the D60 to 50,000 cycles though it could have been 100,000 cycles. Your actual milage may vari.

>P.S. How do I find out how many total snaps I've taken on the
>D60?

Open a recent jpeg created in the camera using Opanda IExif reader available for free at www.opanda.com
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BillinBoston Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2012Thu 28-Jun-12 03:48 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Time for a new battery on D60?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hyde Park, MA, US

Hi Marty,

Many thanks for the reply. I'll pick up a new battery and try out Opanda.

Bill

BreeElla Registered since 20th Jun 2012Sun 01-Jul-12 05:00 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Time for a new battery on D60?"
In response to Reply # 1

Newburgh, US

"I have always had at least one spare Nikon battery for each
camera body and I rotate them. That said, anything electronic
or mechanical can fail at any time for any one of a thousand
or more reasons, though the odds are on our side.
I would get a spare battery Nikon battery. The odds of your
charger going bad are remote."

Oh that is such a good point! I am going to share that with my photography clubs! Thanks

Striving to make my best better.

BreeElla Registered since 20th Jun 2012Sun 01-Jul-12 04:58 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Time for a new battery on D60?"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburgh, US

Hi Bill! I don't have a D60, but I do have a lot of experience traveling with my cameras. I always travel with 2 batteries for each camera. When I got my first camera here is what I was taught: "If you care enough about your preserving your memories with such a nice camera, always care enough about your memories to have enough power to use your nice camera." I have found this to be helpful many times.

As for the life of your camera, I have the D3100 and I took 22,000 photos last year, and even more than that this year (we have to keep track for the 4-H photography project) I have worn the paint off the setting buttons on the back, which I have heard is near impossible. It is still going strong. It seems to me that if you treat it with care is does fine.

But my whole point in replying was to suggest to you that 2 batteries is never a bad idea.

Striving to make my best better.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 02-Jul-12 11:27 AM
26656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Time for a new battery on D60?"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

> D3100 and I took 22,000 photos last year, and even more than that this year

You're a good candidate for a more durable body, then. I think the D3100 has a design life of 100,000 cycles, and it sounds to me as if you're likely to actually exceed that. Nothing wrong with that - but you obviously depend on the camera to work, and you depend on it often. Your usage rate is in the vicinity of most pros that I know that aren't specializing in sports, and exceeds the vast majority of amateurs. You needn't be in a rush, but when you do upgrade, you should consider the bodies that have design life of 150k, 300k and 400k cycles. They're expensive, but they will likely be less expensive in the end as you seem to be on a path to rely on the cameras more rather than less.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 02-Jul-12 11:40 AM
26656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Time for a new battery on D60?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I agree that a second battery is a good idea. Although a charger could fail, they are pretty unlikely to go, and even if one did, you can likely buy another one in most American cities. A battery is a much more likely failure - although more than likely, the failure is a human one than an outright technical fault. (e.g., forget to charge it, run it too long, too many LiveView, etc.)

Ballpark camera life expectancy for most folks will be "longer than necessary." 50,000 cycles doesn't sound like very much compared to the current pro cameras that have a design life of 400,000, but if you average 75 frames per week every week, the 50k will last you nearly 15 years. It's certainly possible to use the camera more - but most people don't, not by a wide margin.

As far as battery life goes, my D100 batteries (similar but not identical design to your D60) are still entirely usable - and I got them in late 2003 or early 2004. They haven't had as much use as my later cameras, but probably not an awful lot less than what most D60's see. I have about 26,000 frames on the D100, about 3300 per year, or about 65 per week. (My main cameras do about 25,000 per year between them.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44360 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.