Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44351
View in linear mode

Subject: "Am I really ready for a different camera?" Previous topic | Next topic
Cadfael_tex Registered since 06th Apr 2008Sat 23-Jun-12 06:23 PM
292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Am I really ready for a different camera?"

Fort Leavenworth, US

I got my D40 back in '08 and it still works fine. However, I'm realizing some limitations with my kit. I have it with the two kit lenses that came with it: 18-55 and 55-200. I spent a bit of time going through the pictures I've taken with it and liked the framing but not the bokeh (or lack there of). The lenses max out at 3.5 and 4.5 respectively at the low end.

Here's my problems with it:
1. Don't like the controls to use it in manual mode.
2. Difficult to manually focus for my old eyes.
3. the above mentioned limitations with my current lenses.

Basically what I'd like is a lighter, digital version of my F2 (which I don't this exists) So I'm wondering with the other issues if it's worth it to me to get some faster glass for this?

Tony, Army Nikonian
Danger: Exposure to Life can be Addictive

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?
Floridian Silver Member
23rd Jun 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
24th Jun 2012
MEMcD Moderator
24th Jun 2012
Cadfael_tex
10th Jul 2012
blw Moderator
10th Jul 2012
Cadfael_tex
10th Jul 2012
MEMcD Moderator
11th Jul 2012
MEMcD Moderator
11th Jul 2012
RodW
12th Jul 2012
ArthurNikonF
18th Jul 2012
petie3 Silver Member
22nd Jul 2012
ctdrummer Silver Member
10th Oct 2012

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sat 23-Jun-12 06:55 PM
2672 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Yes, Tony, you're ready for a new camera AND faster glass! A D90 and up (or used, D70, D80) will have separate command wheels for aperture and shutter speed, helping with limitation (1) in your list. I still see D90s new, and that's a nice camera. Also look at the D300 and D7000.

As for faster glass, depending on what focal length you want, the 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, and 85mm f1.8 are all reasonably priced. I have all three (actually a 50mm f1.4, but close enough) and though I use my slow zooms more, sometimes there is no substitute for faster glass. You could look at some f2.8 zooms, but three drawbacks there are, they are much more expensive than primes, they aren't as fast if you really need a fast lens, and they are bigger and heavier.

So, get out there and buy some new stuff!

Randy

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Sun 24-Jun-12 02:20 AM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

I use the 18-55 & the 55-200 but sometimes I need a faster lens. I chose the 50mm f1.8 AF-S lens. That helps with low light or brokeh when needed.

A different body may have better manual controls but most autofocus cameras do not have good manual focus aids. I rarely use my manual focus lenses.

Laverne

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 24-Jun-12 06:18 PM
25012 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tony,

Yes, Fast Glass is a lifetime investment.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Cadfael_tex Registered since 06th Apr 2008Tue 10-Jul-12 10:13 PM
292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 3

Fort Leavenworth, US

Did a lot of researching and went out and got a new camera - an Olympus Om-D E-M5. I got it Friday and shot about 100-150 shots with it. I see people getting great results with it but not me so far (not as good as the D40). I've gone online and feddled with all the settings according to different guides. Finally got as good as the D40 and that's not worth it to me for what I paid for it.

So the question is, when I take the camera back to the camera store, do I get a 3200,5100, or 7000?

Tony, Army Nikonian

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 10-Jul-12 10:34 PM
26296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

> when I take the camera back to the camera store, do I get a 3200,5100, or 7000?

You probably don't want a 3200 since it has the same kind of limited control system that your D40 has.

The D5100 has at least a separate command dial and subcommand dial for setting shutter speed and aperture.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Cadfael_tex Registered since 06th Apr 2008Tue 10-Jul-12 11:29 PM
#6. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 5

Fort Leavenworth, US

Good to know about the control layout of the 5100 versus 3200. The reason I'd think about the 7000 is the Pentaprism versus Pentamirror. Any other thing that the 7000 gives me above the 5100. I also guess the 7000 is due for a refresh.

Blasphemous question of the day: I guess Nikon and Canon are still fairly even in what they offer - correct?

Tony, Army Nikonian

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 11-Jul-12 06:18 PM
25012 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 11-Jul-12 06:19 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Tony,

The D7000 has a subcommand dial, dedicated buttons to quickly change metering mode, White Balance, and ISO that allow you to change settings on the fly without having to go into the cameras menu. It also has U1 and U2 modes that allows you to store and recall shooting settings very quickly.

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 11-Jul-12 06:05 PM
#7. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Brian,

>The D5100 has at least a separate command dial and subcommand
>dial for setting shutter speed and aperture.

I think you may be confusing the D5100 with the D90/D7000. The D5100 does not have a subcommand dial and the control layout is very similar to the D40/D3200 bodies.

Best Regards,
Marty

RodW Registered since 25th Mar 2012Thu 12-Jul-12 05:39 AM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Not surprising to learn that the pretenders can't match it with an SLR. That does not come as any surprise to me.

Personally, I think if you are upgrading from a D40, just go straight to the D7000. Moving to the D3200 is not an upgrade and I don't think the upgrade to the 5100 is really worthwhile as you won't gain that much more, but I think the video is not bad.

My D40 has just retired to be replaced with a D800 after a year or two gathering FX lenses. I agonised long and hard about whether to stick with DX format and go with the D7000 or move to FX. In the end, I went for FX and spent $4k-$5k or so on lenses before buying the body and waiting for the D700 replacement to hit our shores.

Rod W
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

ArthurNikonF Registered since 10th Oct 2011Wed 18-Jul-12 03:11 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 9

Worcester, US

If you really want bettter "bokeh", I am assuming what you want here is more of a shallow depth of field, you need faster glass. Hard to get it with slow variable aperture zooms. Additionally, the FX ("full frame") sensors of the higher end bodies are more easily able to support this than the DX ("crop senror") bodies. In part simply due to the 33% larger focal plane.

-A

Please read my blog (Nikon, Hasselblad, AND Polaroid), at www.arthurpolaroid.wordpress.com/ Nikon D300, D40, F Photomic Ftn, FE-2, F3HP, N80, F2S

petie3 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2011Sun 22-Jul-12 03:57 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

The answer is D90. Now what was the question?

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Wed 10-Oct-12 07:22 PM
172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Am I really ready for a different camera?"
In response to Reply # 11

Southern CT, US

I'm not sure what is the issue with using manual mode on a d40/d60 etc. You turn the wheel for the shutter speed and then press the +/- button and turn the wheel for aperture. Seems easy enough to me. You see the settings on a large LCD screen instead of a small display. I don't think this gives you "limited control". I reassigned my Fn button to change ISO with the wheel also. Aperture and shutter priority are even easier. Just turn the wheel.

Visit my Flickr page.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #44351 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.